• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008-2009 NBA Season Thread (Pistons trade for Allen Iverson)

Rate this topic

Agree, but 21 million dollars worth of free money could be this summer......

Yeah, that's true. I try to keep that in mind, but it's tough to accept this season is over when the Pistons have set the bar so high in expectations with their recent success. I feel bad for Rip the most - AI has really seemed to throw Rip out of sync completely.

The Pistons need to let AI and Sheed walk after this year. More than anything else, the Pistons need a legitimate scoring big man. The Pistons have relied for far too long on jump shooting because they have no frontcourt player that can (or is willing ... Rasheed) post up and score in the paint. The Pistons backcourt has a great core with Stuckey, Rip, and Afflalo. Maxiell and Johnson are role players. I love McDyess, but he isn't exactly young. The Pistons passed on Chris Bosh for Darko - I would think he would be a perfect fit for the Pistons when he becomes a free agent.

I can't believe how badly this team sucks.

Fire Curry. Hurry up and trade Iverson, I don't think I can even wait till the end of the season he's that bad. Release Wallace.

We have almost no young talent. We're going to be a bad team for a long, long time. I hope we miss the playoffs and get a good draft pick. Missing the playoffs might be a wake up call to make changes and finally get some youth on board.

I can't believe how badly this team sucks.

Fire Curry. Hurry up and trade Iverson, I don't think I can even wait till the end of the season he's that bad. Release Wallace.

We have almost no young talent. We're going to be a bad team for a long, long time. I hope we miss the playoffs and get a good draft pick. Missing the playoffs might be a wake up call to make changes and finally get some youth on board.

Don't agree on the second part. You can turn a NBA team around in one season see the Celtics. You may not think the Pistons have much young talent, but I would say it is a lot better off then several other teams with Johnson, Maxiel, and Stuckey. Also remember we will have 30+ million dollars in cap relief. I really think Joe D is waiting for Chris Bosh in 2 summers, and just trying to get pieces together right now.

I do agree on your other points. Curry needs to get lost, and a lottery pick would be great.

Quite ironic that we snapped our 8 game winless streak without AI in the line-up.

Can't wait until he's gone and that salary comes off the books.

Ironic? Hardly surprizing IMO. Teams play better than they share the ball and guys have each other's back on D. Iverson has always been a cancer to any team he's been on, and is EASILY the most overrated player in the league.

Consider Detroit's current season:

Record without AI (pre-trade and the games he's missed): 5-1

Record with AI: 23-28

Hopefully Iverson misses practise again and get suspended indefinitely 'cause the Pistons are a lottery team with him but are an Eastern Conference darkhouse when he doesn't play.

Edited by Cruiser008

Do you think Joe D is going to bank all this money for 2010, or split it during both summers? I don't know of any big time names for this summer, but I've heard Detroit/Boozer rumors a couple a times. I still think Joe D really wants Chris Bosh in 2010.

Welcome Back Chauncey! The standing ovation tonight won't do justice to how much the team and fans miss him. Chauncey would have never let the Pistons slip to this level of play that we have watched (not including the last two games). You are sorely missed and appreciated Mr. Big Shot.

Do you think Joe D is going to bank all this money for 2010, or split it during both summers? I don't know of any big time names for this summer, but I've heard Detroit/Boozer rumors a couple a times. I still think Joe D really wants Chris Bosh in 2010.

I sure hope so! Awesome player and would be exactly what we need. :thumbup:

I've only seen pics of Billups being introduced to the crowd but it's touching. He was my favourite player and I still miss him. :(

And yes, Pistons back to their best without AI. As expected, we're better off without him.

Watching that game last night was surreal. It didn't seem right watching Billups in a baby blue jersey with a number 7 on the front. I've seen him wearing the stuff now on EPSN for a while, but once he got in the Palace it actually hit me. That standing ovation was amazing (he even said a little too long), but it was a great sight.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

Outstanding gesture from the fans at the Palace last night. You can just tell the respect is so mutual both ways - Chauncey loved playing here and we appreciate everything he did for the team and the city. I thought it was very classy of the Pistons organization to allow the fans to cheer for the extended period of time. There are cases when organizations won't allow that because it signifies the trade turned out bad (which is true here too). I still miss Chauncey very much, but it was nice to see him back home getting a proper goodbye.

I hope those doctors in DC take their time on AI's back. The Pistons have now beaten every division leader in the NBA this season. They are 7-0 when Allen Iverson doesn't play. I don't know that this team is going back to the ECF, but I doubt Boston, Cleveland or Orlando want to see the Pistons in the first or second round.

rip is making a believe out of me again. i know its hard to find anyone who moves as quick or as much as him without the ball, which is very important. however, i've often allowed his unorthodox offensive game and irrational decision making with the ball to overshadow any defensive or offensive (without the ball) efforts... until now. he's looking like its his 2nd or 3rd year in the league all over again, which is exactly what this team needs.

clearly the young kids need to still step up their game for the pistons to have any chance at a postseason but team chemistry has returned with the addition of rip back into the starting lineup. i honestly didn't think i would ever make such a claim but perhaps i should just admit that i didn't give rip a fair chance.

i don't like the idea of rip being our general but again, it might grow on me if i'm not given another choice. stuckey is inconsistent and not prepared (yet) to lead this team on the point but the bench gets pretty thin at this position (AI not taken into account for obvious reasons) and so too do the pistons chances of surviving a 7 game series with just about any team in the eastern conference at this point.