• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008-2009 NBA Season Thread (Pistons trade for Allen Iverson)

Rate this topic

Welcome Back Chauncey! The standing ovation tonight won't do justice to how much the team and fans miss him. Chauncey would have never let the Pistons slip to this level of play that we have watched (not including the last two games). You are sorely missed and appreciated Mr. Big Shot.

I read an article about that game. The title was "Fans give Billups a standing ovation in his return to Detroit" and then the sub-title said something about Iverson being gone.

Immediately I thought somehow the Pistons had traded Iverson back for Billups, but when I read the article I was thoroughly disappointed to find that we don't have him back.

I'd rather the Pistons get in the lottery than swept by Cleveland or Boston in the first round. Of course, this year's draft is one of the weakest in history. I hope Joe D. can swing a deal for Chris Bosh this summer and sign him to a contract extension. We need to keep Bynum as well off the bench to backup Stuckey at point guard. I don't really like Curry, but he deserves another chance because most of the mess this season revolved around the AI mistake.

The one player I feel the absolute worst for is McDyess. He could have went to Boston or Cleveland and had a shot at a championship (which he deserves), but he came back to the Pistons. He has more loyalty/heart than every other member of the team combined. You can always count on one Piston to come out with effort and actually look like he cares. If Rasheed (and I like 'Sheed) had half the desire 'Dyess has, the Pistons would have won more than one championship.

Come on Pistons, spare us the beatdown in the playoffs!

I'd rather the Pistons get in the lottery than swept by Cleveland or Boston in the first round. Of course, this year's draft is one of the weakest in history. I hope Joe D. can swing a deal for Chris Bosh this summer and sign him to a contract extension. We need to keep Bynum as well off the bench to backup Stuckey at point guard. I don't really like Curry, but he deserves another chance because most of the mess this season revolved around the AI mistake.

The one player I feel the absolute worst for is McDyess. He could have went to Boston or Cleveland and had a shot at a championship (which he deserves), but he came back to the Pistons. He has more loyalty/heart than every other member of the team combined. You can always count on one Piston to come out with effort and actually look like he cares. If Rasheed (and I like 'Sheed) had half the desire 'Dyess has, the Pistons would have won more than one championship.

I agree with all of this.

:clap: especially to the bynum comment... believe in this kid and after last night he proved he can hang with some of the big boys. both he and stuckey battle and play a very physical game, which is what the pistons need to get back to, and no doubt bosh would certainly help that become a reality. personally, i checked out from sheed a few seasons ago, regardless of what he's done the past 24 months... he has NO heart. he is a very talented post up player and perimeter threat but that is all overshadowed by his consistent complaining and playing the "victim" whenever opportunity presents itself. he's older now and you would think that amounts to less mouth and more action... not in his case. if only somebody would have accepted his contract but nobody wants to pay him that kind of money, and i'm glad we only have to for a short time longer.

It's going to be quick and painless against the Cavs. We're gonna get swept.

hopefully not but three more games like the one yesterday would certainly flesh out your prediction. i know its not ever a good idea to will your team out of the playoffs but i actually was hoping we missed them altogether, leaving better draft lottery possibilities.

this year's team has a slim chance of making it out of any 7 game series, unfortunately.

I can't even watch the Pistons anymore: if they don't care, neither do I.

Got that right. Like Barkley said last night during the game: "You can't fake hustle"

Another reason Curry should get lost. I don't care if they have a team full of D-league players. There is no excuse for not giving it your all.

And with their backs against the wall the Pistons fall short by 21 pts. Is this the end of this group as we know it?

that happened when they traded Billups.

Pistons are gonna be a bad team for a while now. Lucky if they even make the playoffs next year. Come on lottery picks.

that happened when they traded Billups.

Pistons are gonna be a bad team for a while now. Lucky if they even make the playoffs next year. Come on lottery picks.

dumars knew that a team WITH billups wasn't going to seriously contend... he made a decision to add iverson based primarily on a salary dump. if he received production and consistency from AI that would have been a bonus. what appeared to be a hasty and very risky decision to deal billups is actually a fantastic deal for detroit because now they have a great chance to land 1 or 2 key free agents. without the AI/billups swap, this chance looked grim, at least not without significant cuts. with sheed and billups contracts off the books, the pistons find themselves in VERY good position to contend for a marquee player, if not two.

that being said, i don't see this team losing much momentum and they should make a playoff run next season as well. this isn't that bad of a situation but obviously joe and his staff could shake things up even more than experts anticipate, making things that much more interesting. i personally feel joe will park on the concept of being patient and letting things play out before making any major decisions.

not what any one of us would have liked to see happen for this year's playoffs but i do favor a quick and less painful exit over slow torture any day.

edit: spelling

Edited by spydrwebb

dumars knew that a team WITH billups wasn't going to seriously contend... he made a decision to add iverson based primarily on a salary dump. if he received production and consistency from AI that would have been a bonus. what appeared to be a hasty and very risky decision to deal billups is actually a fantastic deal for detroit because now they have a great chance to land 1 or 2 key free agents. without the AI/billups swap, this chance looked grim, at least not without significant cuts. with sheed and billups contracts off the books, the pistons find themselves in VERY good position to contend for a marquee player, if not two.

that being said, i don't see this team losing much momentum and they should make a playoff run next season as well. this isn't that bad of a situation but obviously joe and his staff could shake things up even more than experts anticipate, making things that much more interesting. i personally feel joe will park on the concept of being patient and letting things play out before making any major decisions.

not what any one of us would have liked to see happen for this year's playoffs but i do favor a quick and less painful exit over slow torture any day.

edit: spelling

You are right. Thing that sucks though is there are not many good UFA's this summer. Boozer, and Gordon are the 2 biggest out there if I remember correctly. The thing that doesn't get brought up though is the financial situations with many NBA teams this summer. There will be some teams that will probably have a fire sale to save money, and we would be in great shape to take the contracts.

Here's my ideal plan for Joe D. this summer:

1. Trade for Chris Bosh and sign him to an extension.

2. Trade Tayshaun Prince to any team that will take him.

3. Bring Antonio McDyess back.

No. 1 is all I want. Actually I would like all 3 a lot, but getting Bosh would get me excited and allow me to put up with Prince another season. I would also like to see McDyess win a ring so if he goes to some elite team I will be okay with that.

This Boozer, Kaman, etc talk does not get me excited. This isn't a very good summer for UFA's. If somehow we could land Bosh in the summer it would be very, very attractive to the big time names in 2010.

It will also be interesting to see who they draft. I've seen Mullens on mock drafts (wow that would be awful). I hope we draft a PG. There will be a good one at No. 15 because Rubio, and Jennings are coming from across the pond.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

This is where Dumars earns his money. The 2010 free agent crop is supposed to be the really good one. So do you sort of call '09-'10 a throwaway year, sit on your cap space, and wait for that crop? Then you run the risk of those teams locking up their guys during the season. Maybe you can swing a sign-and-trade at the deadline, maybe not. Or maybe you take your run now. And what about the draft? Big decisions.

Would be nice if we could draft a good player for once. We've got 4 picks in this upcoming draft (only one decent pick though) and what's the bet we land no good players?

I used to rate Amir Johnson extremely highly but he's done nothing to justify the hype. He is still very young however but going to have to start producing and stop fouling out every 5 minutes. Would ne nice to see him get an extended run because our hack of a coach barely played him.

Maxiell is just an ordinary player, nothing more. Stuckey was awfully inconsistent last year but in his 3rd year he shouuld start dominating more often, perhaps even average close to 20 ppg. Afflalo I like but he's a bench player.

Is Rasheed Wallace definitely going? We can only hope. He was great but he should have moved on 3 years ago. Thankfully Iverson is gone, that was torture.

Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen for Rip, Tayshaun and Stuckey? :lol: Great trade proposal Celtics - what are the Pistons, the new Timberwolves? I would take Prince for Allen in a heartbeat, but no thanks on giving up our two best players otherwise.

This is a big draft on Thursday for Dumars. The Pistons need to start developing a younger, bigger, and stronger frontcourt. There are so many great point guards though it might be tough for the Pistons not to take one at 15. I would love Flynn (he won't drop that far) or Teague from Wake Forest. The one player I do not want whatsoever is Mullens. I would rather have Daye from Gonzaga if the Pistons go big at 15. I have a feeling the Pistons are going to get Boozer this summer as a free agent so that will provide instant help to the frontcourt. I want Chris Bosh here really bad, but that's risky waiting until next summer when he becomes a free agent and the Pistons end up with a ton of cap space and nothing to show for it if he signs elsewhere.

Rajon Rondo and Ray Allen for Rip, Tayshaun and Stuckey? :lol: Great trade proposal Celtics - what are the Pistons, the new Timberwolves? I would take Prince for Allen in a heartbeat, but no thanks on giving up our two best players otherwise.

This is a big draft on Thursday for Dumars. The Pistons need to start developing a younger, bigger, and stronger frontcourt. There are so many great point guards though it might be tough for the Pistons not to take one at 15. I would love Flynn (he won't drop that far) or Teague from Wake Forest. The one player I do not want whatsoever is Mullens. I would rather have Daye from Gonzaga if the Pistons go big at 15. I have a feeling the Pistons are going to get Boozer this summer as a free agent so that will provide instant help to the frontcourt. I want Chris Bosh here really bad, but that's risky waiting until next summer when he becomes a free agent and the Pistons end up with a ton of cap space and nothing to show for it if he signs elsewhere.

dont forget Ty Lawson from UNC. I have seen a lot of mock drafts that have the pistons picking him. I wouldnt mind it.

dont forget Ty Lawson from UNC. I have seen a lot of mock drafts that have the pistons picking him. I wouldnt mind it.

I'm with ya there. He would also be more NBA ready his rookie season then some of the other PG's such as Rubio, and Jennings that will be drafted before him. I'm totally against drafting Mullens. I think he is a 3 year project at best. We've tried that already with Darko, and Amir (speaking of him see you later!).

I don't know why I think this, but for some reason I think Joe D is going to aquire Amare Stoudamaire this summer. The Suns need to dump him and/or Shaq to stay financially alive.

I'm with ya there. He would also be more NBA ready his rookie season then some of the other PG's such as Rubio, and Jennings that will be drafted before him. I'm totally against drafting Mullens. I think he is a 3 year project at best. We've tried that already with Darko, and Amir (speaking of him see you later!).

I don't know why I think this, but for some reason I think Joe D is going to aquire Amare Stoudamaire this summer. The Suns need to dump him and/or Shaq to stay financially alive.

I heard rumors of Shaq going to Cleveland to play with Lebron. Whether or not it can be pulled off is a different story.

I like Lawson very much, but I would prefer the Pistons not draft him because I don't think his style of play meshes with the team right now. Lawson's biggest strength is his speed and ability to get to the basket. The Pistons hardly ever run or push the ball up the floor offensively. Lawson isn't a great jump shooter so how effective would he be as a half-court point guard? I think Flynn would be a terrific fit, but he won't get past the Suns at 14 if he even drops that far.

The trade of Amir Johnson has almost convinced me the Pistons will address the frontcourt at 15. Right now we have one power forward/center signed for next year on the roster and that is Jason Maxiell. I believe Kwame Brown has an option, but big frickin deal if he does come back. I like the idea of Amare in a trade, but his complete lack of desire to play defense scares me. The Suns would want expiring contracts in exchange for Amare and the Pistons had those last season in Rasheed and AI so I think it will be tough to swing a deal with Phoenix now. My gut still says Carlos Boozer will be a Piston.

I will be pretty satisfied with anything at pick 15 besides Mullens. The Pistons suck at developing big men.

Edited by GoWings1905

I heard rumors of Shaq going to Cleveland to play with Lebron. Whether or not it can be pulled off is a different story.

Sometimes I hate when I am right.

Shaq traded

This is it for cleveland. If they cant win next year, they wont. I am not sure what Phoenix is looking at with this trade. Ben Wallace is close to retiring, if not already. Maybe it was just to get shaq's contract off the books so they can resign Amare.