• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
lets go pavel

The Wings are winning ...

Rate this topic

This season the Wings are 20-5-4 after 29 games. Last season we were 21-6-2. Same point totals. However, I went back and looked at the goal differentials in the wins and losses over those games, and they paint a picture that is probably pretty obvious to all of us who have been watching ... the Wings are playing in a lot more tight games than last year. Here's a breakdown of the goal differentials:

WINS:

..........07-08.....08-09

SO.........3............4

1goal.....4 .........10

2goals....5...........4

3+..........9...........2

LOSSES:

...........07-08.....08-09

SO ..........2...........0

1goal.......4...........5

2goals.....1...........3

3+...........1...........1

The losses aren't strikingly different, but the wins are. Twice as many games this year have been decided by 1 goal or shootout. Rather than pointing fingers at who is to blame, my question is this ... is the closeness of games this year a good thing or a bad thing for our team and it's postseason chances?

If this were April and we were fighting tooth-and-nail for every win it would seem like good preparation for the playoffs. This is December, and we only seem to go all-out for a few minutes a game. Is this still better than a blowout?

Is there a risk of mental fatigue if this continues all year? Regardless of the physical effort (or lack thereof) put forth, are close games more mentally taxing, or are they better mental preparation for the playoffs when most games are closer?

Edited by lets go pavel

I'm beginning to think that the way they're playing right now is similar to a stretch last season where it seemed they were phoning it in and resting players.

I'm okay with whatever they do in the regular season, just so long as they can "turn it on" come playoffs like they did last year. But relying on that is nerve-racking.

I think you're right that the effort thus far has looked sporadic and not on point, by the usual Red Wings' standard. That will probably turn around. In the meanwhile, the goals for are offsetting the GAA at the moment, so that's perhaps all we can ask.

The D is still off on a given night, which is a problem. I have some concern that the offense might not continue to be able to compensate. Let's just say we're in no danger of collecting another Jennings this season.

We have great stats so far - but when you look how many (14 so far) games we won with 1 goal and those games could ge either way... then you realize that Red Wings are not playing like they should.

Great PP = 29.2%

Bad PK = 80.0% (21st)

Still same problems - no 4th energy line...

I don't care if we win games 10-1 or 6-4 or 2-1. In an 80+ game season you're going to win some ugly games, you're going to win some tight one-goal games, you're going to demolish some teams as well in convincing fashion.

There's rarely such thing as a perfect win and we know the Wings need to shore up some things obviously in defense and/or goaltending et al, but if they win in spite of some things, more power to them.

In the end at least to me, wins are what is most important and in standings or playoff results it doesn't matter how good/ugly it might have looked, a win is still a win.

I don't care if we win games 10-1 or 6-4 or 2-1. In an 80+ game season you're going to win some ugly games, you're going to win some tight one-goal games, you're going to demolish some teams as well in convincing fashion.

There's rarely such thing as a perfect win and we know the Wings need to shore up some things obviously in defense and/or goaltending et al, but if they win in spite of some things, more power to them.

In the end at least to me, wins are what is most important and in standings or playoff results it doesn't matter how good/ugly it might have looked, a win is still a win.

I agree 100%.

Is there a risk of mental fatigue if this continues all year? Regardless of the physical effort (or lack thereof) put forth, are close games more mentally taxing, or are they better mental preparation for the playoffs when most games are closer?

This could go either way. A team that goes down and has to constantly battle back does pay a price, but on the other hand being clutch and without panic is playoff hockey, regardless of how many goals are given up.

Bottom line: it would be nice to see the D tighten up and have the wings win 5-1, instead of 5-4, but being able to pull clutch wins is priceless.

Guest Crymson

In '97, an enormous number of the Wings` regular season games went to OT.

They're good preparation for the playoffs... clutch practice helps, and the extra five minutes probably are mostly inconsequential.

Mickey just mentioned the other night how by not fixing your bad habits soon eneough, they become that much harder to change. Over 1/3 of the season is gone and the Wings havent changed anything.

I mean, I LOVED the regular seasons in 03, 04, and 06 too.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

Snobs....All of us....

lol, Could you imagine a pure Lions fan coming across this board and see us complaining about how we're winning? I mean, in football, it really doens't matter how we win, if the lions got a win we were happy...no matter how close it was....

Not much of a basketball fan, but same with the pistons...most of the time a win is a happy thing.

Baseball, it used to be a win was a win, until 06....then even when we did win, we complained about a closer who saved 90%+ of his games......

wonder why that Happens? once you start to win at something, you become a snob at HOW you're winning....I'm sure If the St.Louis blues win 6 in a row, but all by one goal...and in 3 of them they were up by 3 in the third, and they had to go to a shootout to win....blues fans would Be ecstatic that they've won 6 in a row......

I'm the same way...i'm worried about this team breaking down at the end of every game, i'm nervous about our defence.

I jsut wonder why once you start to win, you stop enjoying every one.

One thing I've noticed is this year it feels like the wings can fight back to get the win. There was alot of our losses last year that I didn't feel we were doing that. Granted this season we have put ourselves in that position many more times, but I'm actually impressed with the teams ability this year to push back...

Snobs....All of us....

lol, Could you imagine a pure Lions fan coming across this board and see us complaining about how we're winning? I mean, in football, it really doens't matter how we win, if the lions got a win we were happy...no matter how close it was....

Not much of a basketball fan, but same with the pistons...most of the time a win is a happy thing.

Baseball, it used to be a win was a win, until 06....then even when we did win, we complained about a closer who saved 90%+ of his games......

wonder why that Happens? once you start to win at something, you become a snob at HOW you're winning....I'm sure If the St.Louis blues win 6 in a row, but all by one goal...and in 3 of them they were up by 3 in the third, and they had to go to a shootout to win....blues fans would Be ecstatic that they've won 6 in a row......

I'm the same way...i'm worried about this team breaking down at the end of every game, i'm nervous about our defence.

A lot of Wings fans these days are spoiled, that's the nature of the beast for being consistently good for a lengthy time period. It is annoying at times to see/read but a good track record winning does that to fans, regardless of the team/sport.

Snobs....All of us....

Who's being a snob? Who's not appreciating or enjoying the wins? The question at hand isn't complaining about how we're winning, simply asking whether people think that the increase in quantity of tight games, if it were to continue all season, would be beneficial or detrimental to the team's chances in the playoffs.