• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
YoungGuns1340

Ken Holland's "Deadline Special" Predictions

Rate this topic

Thought it'd be interesting to see what people thought about the upcoming deadline this year, especially considering Holland usually keeps quiet about guys hes eyeing.

Do the Wings bother to add anyone? Do they bother to trade anyone? If you do think they'll add someone, who is it and how do they fit them under the cap?

Go for the predictions.

The only thing I could see him doing is trading Flippula or Kopetsky for some draft picks. Flippula could be worth a lot on the trade deadline, maybe a 2nd round pick. He's way over-paid, could clear up room for Leino during the playoffs etc.

The only thing I could see him doing is trading Flippula or Kopetsky for some draft picks. Flippula could be worth a lot on the trade deadline, maybe a 2nd round pick. He's way over-paid, could clear up room for Leino during the playoffs etc.

The idea that Leino would be more valuable than Filppula in the playoffs is insane. Filppula would be more effective offensively right now in the NHL with the same minutes, and is a top notch defensive center.

Filppula traded won't happen during the season unless there's a SICK offer for him (think multiple 1sts, or similar value) AND we have Hank and Hossa signed to extensions.

I am guessing the team doesn't do a whole lot. Atleast I am hoping they don't. And maybe this will be the year that everyone will stop with the idea of getting rid of Hudler. This year it sounds as if Flip and Kope are the step-children around here. I don't think Kope goes anywhere. I think Babs and the team like his aggressive physical play, and aren't depending on him scoring goals. That would make sense thus far. Flip is expensive, but I still believe he is a diamond in the rough. He will come around sooner or later.

I'd like the team to add a Gary Roberts-type player (or Gary himself). Someone they can play on the 4th line and goes out to hit people to get things going.

I'd like the team to add a Gary Roberts-type player (or Gary himself). Someone they can play on the 4th line and goes out to hit people to get things going.

Can't say I blame you. Gary lives for the playoffs and he's said this will be his last season, so he'll definitely be dealt from Tampa Bay for one last kick at the can.

Give Filppula some good minutes with some good wingers and he WILL produce. I cant imagine what a Franzen-Filppula-Hossa line would look like out there backing up a Z-D-H line!!

Flip should be centering Franzen and Samuelsson on the third line. Established chemistry that has worked in the past, a line that can score and defend.

Top two lines can be:

Hudler/Zetterberg/Hossa

Cleary/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Or almost any other combination of those six forwards. The only one I probably wouldn't throw out there as a regular unit is the one that ends up with Cleary/Hudler/Holmstrom as the second line.

ill second that Peca also comes to mind

IF Holland was considering trading Flip, it wouldn't happen before the offseason.

This is kind of the idea I had in mind. Nothing big, just a fourth liner. Someone like Peca, maybe Nichol. A guy that would either only be pennies to add or one that could be accommodated by moving a guy like Lebda.

That's a very nice thought. :thumbup:

we dont neet peca. we have a player who essentially fills that exact same role in draper

Well, Peca really fills the hole that Draper USED to. At any rate, the point of adding a guy like Peca would be for a little more motivation in the bank from a guy who hasn't won a cup. Similar to why we got Drake.

Edited by YoungGuns1340

I think Kopecky might be the odd man out come deadline time. Moving him for anything will open up a much needed roster spot for one of our young guys to come up from GR (Helm, Leino come to mind). Any reasonable pick for him is better than losing him to free agency for nothing at season's end. As for Flips, I agree with most above...keep him. Unless you have a contract signed by Hank &/or Hoss, he's not expendable. Chances are, we have the team we're going to the playoffs with already. I think the moves that will make the most difference for us this season is to bring up some guys from GR once the cap is no longer an issue at season's end. Guys like Ericsson, Helm, Leino and maybe even Abdelkader might just be the final pieces to the puzzle for another long playoff run...

Unless Detroit gets an insanely good offer, nothing will happen. We're pretty much set.

Even if its a Cory Cross type trade, I could see the Wings pulling something off. The Wings have about 450k in cap space right now, and adding a guy at the deadline that makes around 500k-800k wouldn't even force them to move someone.

Before the Wings got Drake, they were chasing after Scott Nichol. I wouldn't be surprised if Nichol could be had for a 6th, 7th round pick or even futures, maybe a conditional.

Fortunately, he's said the only thing he's interested in is draft picks.

In that case all you have to do is pray no one vetoes the pick up of a Sakic type of player at the draft table again! *sigh* Here's hoping the Leafs get back to drafting smartly. :thumbup: God knows I'm tired of breaking the news to my Dad that his beloved Leafs draft picks aren't materializing in the minors :P I'd rather tell him I'm impressed by the picks for once :)

EDIT: Your first rounder wasn't bad last year (it's certainly a compliment when a D-man can play in the NHL as an 18 year old). Although I'm not sure they shouldn't have drafted a certain Russian forward, who knows how it'll turn out, at the very least it looks like they have a top four defensive defenseman from it all.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

In that case all you have to do is pray no one vetoes the pick up of a Sakic type of player at the draft table again! *sigh* Here's hoping the Leafs get back to drafting smartly. :thumbup: God knows I'm tired of breaking the news to my Dad that his beloved Leafs draft picks aren't materializing in the minors :P I'd rather tell him I'm impressed by the picks for once :)

Schenn was a good start.