• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Reds4Life

Bettman suspends Lidstrom, Datsyuk 1-game each

Rate this topic

No, seems a lot of injuries magically heal on the Monday after All-Star weekend.

So you just assume everyone is lieing and throw out suspensions?

Or maybe they could put some energy into creating an ASG that is not a farce, and that players actually want to attend.

Seems to me like all the players need to do is decline from the beginning, instead of accepting in good faith, getting injured, and then being punished for being injured.

Woo...can't wait for the next star studded all star game with any player that will accept the invitation to play.

Okay, a question then ... if the rule is that they have to miss either the game before or after the ASG if they don't play, I don't see how they can be suspended yet, because technically they won't break the rule unless they actually play in the Columbus game. If they sit out, as the rule says they have to, then they would be scratches, not suspensions ... right?

So you just assume everyone is lieing and throw out suspensions?

Or maybe they could put some energy into creating an ASG that is not a farce, and that players actually want to attend.

That's fairly impossible for hockey. There's no way owners would agree to having their best players playing a full-contact, full-out hockey game, no matter what the prize at the end is.

Okay, a question then ... if the rule is that they have to miss either the game before or after the ASG if they don't play, I don't see how they can be suspended yet, because technically they won't break the rule unless they actually play in the Columbus game. If they sit out, as the rule says they have to, then they would be scratches, not suspensions ... right?

True. They're not technically suspensions because they're required to still be paid per the "rule" or "agreement" between the league and the NHLPA. There might be some other agreed on repercussions if they did NOT sit out the game before or after the ASG.

What are you talking about, a hypothetical? Must be because the Wings have the third best record in the league and it's January. The Columbus game is not a "game that matters".

The All Star game is more important to the NHL than the Jackets vs Wings game is. If there were no NHL, you would never have heard of Pavel Datsyuk and Nick Lidstrom would still be in Sweeden. I don't think asking them to come showboat in one exhibition game is asking too much of them.

The Columbus game counts in the standings, the ASG does not. We are in a race with SJ for home ice advantage throughout the playoffs, which could play a role in our postseason success. It could come down to a point or two. Even the throwaway games mean something in the standings.

The ASG might matter to the NHL, but the Columbus game matter to the Red Wings. Asking them to play in it is not too much to ask, but when they're hurt there are plenty of other players who can fill their spots.

I haven't read this entire thread due to the fact that I've been swamped most of this afternoon, however did Lidstrom and Datsyuk give any indication why they wouldn't be going for the off-ice activities if the league does intend on suspending them? It seems as though Crosby is going, and I would think those two could do the same.

Has anyone mentioned anything about this within the thread?

Note: Open to anyone to respond, not just Mack_Attack.

There's no info on why they wouldn't be going.

Kenny sure isn't going to ask them to go:

Wings general manager Ken Holland is upset with the league's stance and said he has no intention of calling the players and telling them to show up in Montreal.

That's fairly impossible for hockey. There's no way owners would agree to having their best players playing a full-contact, full-out hockey game, no matter what the prize at the end is.

What the hell are you talking about? Since when des making the All Star game more enticing for the players involve allowing hits in the game? Who ever said or implied that?

Don't allow bogus voting - that is the number one way they can make it more legitimate.

That's what doctors are for, no?

The Red Wings have issued a public statement that Datsyuk and Lidstrom are injured. Why are you being a jackass? Do you think they made it up with no medical staff involved whatsoever?

What the hell are you talking about? Since when des making the All Star game more enticing for the players involve allowing hits in the game? Who ever said or implied that?

Don't allow bogus voting - that is the number one way they can make it more legitimate.

Legit fan balloting is somehow going to make the All-Star game more enjoyable?

It was legit until they started doing online balloting, and even then people hated the game and the players looked for ways to get out of it.

Legit fan balloting is somehow going to make the All-Star game more enjoyable?

It was legit until they started doing online balloting, and even then people hated the game and the players looked for ways to get out of it.

Really? Then why have they not felt the need to start handing out suspensions until this very year?

The issue isn't that injuries magically heal two days after the All-Star game, its that there is a difference between getting to rest and not risk further injury for a pointless game, or going to the pointless game and not resting said injury and risking its further agitation. Its not a black and white here today, gone tomorrow senario, more like its going to get better with a week off or its going to get worse. It used to be the discretion of the players and management.

Here's something: I guarantee if Gary's favorite niece Crosby wasn't already planning on going to Montreal to further cram himself down the throat of hockey fans, this would have never come up. Its Bettman's way of breaking a few eggs to make an omelet (suspend a few players to bully players into going next year) as long as his favorite egg isn't in the mix.

Sooooo betty is punishing Dats and Lids for skipping out on a "fan based" weekend.. yet by doing that he is punishing the fans in Columbus of both the Wings (those making the short trip down there) and the fans in columbus by not allowing 2 of the biggest names in hockey to play in a "real" game...

Doesn't that seem odd and not well thought out?

Really? Then why have they not felt the need to start handing out suspensions until this very year?

Because it was getting out of hand. It was never this bad for players getting "hurt" right before the All-Star Game. Whether it's a change in attitude from the players or what, I'm not sure.

Sooooo betty is punishing Dats and Lids for skipping out on a "fan based" weekend.. yet by doing that he is punishing the fans in Columbus of both the Wings (those making the short trip down there) and the fans in columbus by not allowing 2 of the biggest names in hockey to play in a "real" game...

Doesn't that seem odd and not well thought out?

Exactly. Just more damage done. Typical counterproductive Gary Bettman. I'm not going to the game and I'm furious that Pavel's great run lately and entertaining hockey gets put on hold for, of all things from a Lady Byng winner the last 3 years, a suspension.

Its Bettman's way of breaking a few eggs to make an omelet (suspend a few players to bully players into going next year) as long as his favorite egg isn't in the mix.

:clap: ...and what team historically won't "put up a fight", why the Red Wings of course... :P

esteef

If the NHL wants to increase scoring they should consider putting a target of Bettman's face in the back of the net.

Seriously, this moron with his midget complex feels he needs to publicly disrespect someone of Lidstrom's stature?

I guarantee the only reason this came to a head is because the NHL's golden boy Crosby decided to skip it. If the all-star game wasn't such a joke,

players wouldn't be skipping it.

Babcock should stay home now, just as a show of respect for Lids and Dats and to show what he thinks of Little Hitler.

If the NHL wants to increase scoring they should consider putting a target of Bettman's face in the back of the net.

Seriously, this moron with his midget complex feels he needs to publicly disrespect someone of Lidstrom's stature?

I guarantee the only reason this came to a head is because the NHL's golden boy Crosby decided to skip it. If the all-star game wasn't such a joke,

players wouldn't be skipping it.

Babcock should stay home now, just as a show of respect for Lids and Dats and to show what he thinks of Little Hitler.

The NHL GM's agreed last year that players wouldn't be able to skip the entire weekend unless they were too injured to travel/take part in sponsor events.

It's not a new revelation. If the GM didn't relay that message to his players prior to their making other plans for All-Star weekend, then that's his problem.

Campbell said the league's general managers agreed last February that a player who misses the all-star game must sit out the regular season game just before or just after it to demonstrate that he is really injured.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/News/2009...8127996-cp.html

Edited by MacK_Attack

Because it was getting out of hand. It was never this bad for players getting "hurt" right before the All-Star Game. Whether it's a change in attitude from the players or what, I'm not sure.

I don't think its just the all-star game... never before in my life have i ever seen so many players getting injured day in and day out...

Players are bigger, equipment is manufactured better... it isn't all-star game causing the mass injuries... its coincidence and evolution...

Hell no! He should certainly go now and hammer this decision in the media every chance he gets.

esteef

I need to see a Babcockian "get a-load of this bulls*** call" smile when asked about the suspension of Niklas "Norris" Lidstrom and 3 time Lady Byng winner Pavel Datsyuk over AN ALL-STAR GAME!