• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerman191

Hossa: "Datsyuk should be league MVP"

Rate this topic

http://www2.canada.com/windsorstar/news/sp...1f7c67f&p=1

"He has the ability to control the puck. He plays well defensively in our zone.

"I think he's the best all-around player in the world right now."

I thought that was a pretty cool read. It pretty much states exactly what many of us have been saying this season. It also has a few quotes from Babcock, pretty much assuring that Datsyuk and Zetterberg will stay together as long as nothing changes.

Yea, I first read this over at PuckDaddy's blog. He said something about the Wings oranization making Hossa drink their kool-aid 'temple of doom style' to say that he would take less to sign with Detroit and for him saying Datsyuk is the best all around player in the world right now.

Normally, I just read the blog and see if there's any news going on but I just had to comment today. The guy obviously never watches any Wings games (he's not a huge fan of the Wings) so I asked him how he would ever know if Datsyuk was the best all around player. I asked if he'd rather have AO, Malkin or Crosby rather than Dats out their on a 5-3 in game 7 of the Finals with 2 minutes to go.

What's funny is that SO many people backed Datsyuk up and said he probably is the best all around player. He might not have the offensive upside like AO, Malkin or Crosby does but his defensive play far surpasses theirs. As far as an all around dangler, no one competes and when it comes to playmaking, well, only Thronton and maybe Crosby are up there.

It truly shows how much higher he (Hossa) thinks Datsyuk is that anyone else he's ever played with ::cough:cough::Crosby::cough:cough::

If you give Datsyuk the even strength and power play minutes of Malkin, Crosby and Ovechkin his points are much better, even if we assume he is still concentrating on his defensive play as well. Let Datsyuk focus much more on offense all the time, and I do not even think it is close.

It is a joke he was not voted 1st team all star at the end of last year (Malkin, with only 9 more points and Thornton, with actually less points, were voted ahead of him).

It'll probably be an even bigger joke next year during the Olympics when they have Malkin as the #1 center on the Russian team instead of Pav. Don't get me wrong, I like Malkin and I thought he was the best player in the league last fall, but all-around, he's still doesn't pass the puck or play as well defensively as Datsyuk.

it really tells you something about Datsyuk. Hossa could've politically correct and said, "I've played with a lot a great players and Pav ranks right up there..." but he said, he is the Best player. I wonder how Buttman feels about that? I can see Cindy right now, "...but Uncle Gary, you told me I was the best player! :crybaby: ...Uncle Mario! Uncle, I am the best player, right? Uncle Mario?"

unfortunately, in order to be the best player, Buttman has to say you are, so until Datsyuk plays for the Pens or Ducks or any other of his teams, Datsyuk will only get the Pearson award, not the Hart...

Edited by LeftWinger

Did anyone else read the END of the article where Hossa is quoted as saying "yes, I'll take less" to stay in Detroit? Am I the only one excited about this confirmation right from Hossa? We've heard it rumored before, but this is from the man himself. I'm sure he could still change his mind but this is a pretty good indication of his intentions.

If we can get Hossa, Zetterberg and Datsyuk all signed for the "6" range instead of the "8" range that they could easily and surely get on the open market then Kenny should be up for Saint-hood, as I hear it takes 3 miracles. What it boils down to is 3 of the world's top players for 18+ mil/year instead of 24+ mil/year. That's a cap savings in the neighborhood of 6mil/year!

That's like the Red Wings having an extra 6mil/yr more cap space than any other team in the league, and all done legally too. Betman must be crying in his soup as he realizes this. The Wings are still able to "spend more" than any other team even WITH the Cap in place lol. That extra cap space can surely go to Franzen (3-4mil) and Hudler (2-3mil) right? Wishful thinking I know, but if Kenny can keep Dats, Z, Hossa, Franzen, Fil, and one of Hudler or Sammy then he is a god who should be worshiped nightly.

Dats, Z, Hossa; all playing for 6+mil/year; let's compare that to what other teams have had to spend recently to keep their superstars in place:

Lecavailler - 7.7/yr

Gomez - 7.35/yr

Ovechkin - 9.5/yr

Malkin - 8.7/yr

Crosby - 8.7/yr

Thornton - 7.2/yr

Drury - 7.05/yr

Heatly - 7.5/yr

Spezza - 7.0/yr

Brad Richards - 7.8/yr

Vanek - 7.1/yr

E. Staal - 8.25/yr

Wow.

It appears other teams have trouble even getting one superstar to sign for less than 7mil/yr... let alone THREE of them.

6mil and a lifetime supply of Little Ceasars goes a long ways at the Joe compared to what it would buy at other arenas around the league. Amazing job Kenny. Amazing job by Stevie, Lids, Pav, and Z to "buy into" the Wings own salary cap structure regardless of what is going on around the league. Now if Hoss, Mule and Huds buy in as well we can hopefully hoist a few more banners in the near future.

Dats, Z, Hossa; all playing for 6+mil/year; let's compare that to what other teams have had to spend recently to keep their superstars in place:

Lecavailler - 7.7/yr

Gomez - 7.35/yr

Ovechkin - 9.5/yr

Malkin - 8.7/yr

Crosby - 8.7/yr

Thornton - 7.2/yr

Drury - 7.05/yr

Heatly - 7.5/yr

Spezza - 7.0/yr

Brad Richards - 7.8/yr

Vanek - 7.1/yr

E. Staal - 8.25/yr

Wow.

It appears other teams have trouble even getting one superstar to sign for less than 7mil/yr... let alone THREE of them.

Seems unreal to every other team, but the Detroit Redwings.

witness-this-epic-thread.gif

Edited by #18 the _Hoss_

It doesn't take Hossa to tell Pav is the best but it doesn't hurt the cause either! Maybe he's just a homer too! :ph34r:

If Hossa's a Homer then does that make Homer a Happy-Hudler?

Thanks for doing the leg work and looking all these up.

This is a great thing to see in print.

Lecavailler - 7.7/yr

Gomez - 7.35/yr

Ovechkin - 9.5/yr

Malkin - 8.7/yr

Crosby - 8.7/yr

Thornton - 7.2/yr

Drury - 7.05/yr

Heatly - 7.5/yr

Spezza - 7.0/yr

Brad Richards - 7.8/yr

Vanek - 7.1/yr

E. Staal - 8.25/yr

Hossa is so staying...then I can finally feel safe enough to buy his jersey.

I couldn't help but laugh at the thought of all those Pittsburgh fans Sunday, who had stupidly bought a Hossa jersey last year!

It's funny figuring out how many of those players are grossly overpaid

Yeah, Eric Staal's salary just about make my eyeballs come out of my head. Staal's a good player, but not 8.25M/year good. :closedeyes:

Edited by union drone

Thats the problem with all of these over inflated saleries that occur with mismanagment, it drives up a relative value and ultimately the cap follows. If a 2nd/3rd line guy makes 6-8 mil a year why wouldn't a upper ellite player want to make 12 or what ever he could get? The cap should included a maximum percentage salery increase from year to year, so If the cap grows by 5% no players salery should be able to increase by 10% unless they are transitioning from their restricted status.

Thats the problem with all of these over inflated saleries that occur with mismanagment, it drives up a relative value and ultimately the cap follows. If a 2nd/3rd line guy makes 6-8 mil a year why wouldn't a upper ellite player want to make 12 or what ever he could get? The cap should included a maximum percentage salery increase from year to year, so If the cap grows by 5% no players salery should be able to increase by 10% unless they are transitioning from their restricted status.
Nice. You lost me. :rolleyes:

Nice. You lost me. :rolleyes:

LOL! i just disturbed everyone here at the library, laughing out loud!

servo does bring up a good point. i suppose the issue is worsened when a player has a breakout season during a contract year.