• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

boomer

Is it time to make some major moves for this year's playoff run?

Rate this topic

It's this type of mentality that made us pickup Cory Cross at the deadline in 2006.

Two things: First, what makes you think that? The Wings were by far the best team during the season in '06. Of course we all know what that amounts to and amounted to, but at trade deadline '06 what move would management have wanted to make? And unless it was for a goalie it wouldn't have mattered a whole helluva lot anyways.

And two, there was nothing wrong with the Cross pick up. Depth for the Depth God.

Chris Neil and/or Gary Roberts.

Neils play in the finals in 07, and Roberts performance in the playoffs period, would make me want them.

Oh, and to anyone who thought Drake was washed up last year, please ask Stephane Robidas what he thinks

That hit from Drake was absolutely delicious! Robidas sees him at the last minute, but can't do a damn thing about it!

:nhl_crach:

esteef

Two things: First, what makes you think that? The Wings were by far the best team during the season in '06. Of course we all know what that amounts to and amounted to, but at trade deadline '06 what move would management have wanted to make? And unless it was for a goalie it wouldn't have mattered a whole helluva lot anyways.

And two, there was nothing wrong with the Cross pick up. Depth for the Depth God.

We had a great regular season that year, but if the management had foresight, they would have seen that we had a lack of grit that would cost us in a long playoff series.

I was just saying that having a good regular season doesn't mean you shouldn't make a move at the deadline like the poster I was quoting suggested.

Last year we made a good move for Stuart, and he helped us win the Cup. Do you think we could have won it without Stuart? Who knows, maybe or maybe not. Fact is, we had a pretty good record last year at this time, and could have easily not traded for Stuart based on our success.

If San Jose and other top teams are making moves at the deadline, so should we. No point sitting on our asses just because we won the Cup with a somewhat similar roster last year. It's a new season.

Chris Neil and/or Gary Roberts.

Neils play in the finals in 07, and Roberts performance in the playoffs period, would make me want them.

I remember Roberts was a healthy (and very unhappy) scratch in the first couple of games in the Finals last year. I'm not saying he wasn't effective when he was on the ice (I remember him most for punching a recently-concussed Franzen), but I'd only want Roberts if Neil's asking price is way too high (First round pick) or the Wings literally can't find someone younger and faster.

We had a great regular season that year, but if the management had foresight, they would have seen that we had a lack of grit that would cost us in a long playoff series.

I'll affix a big "maybe" to all that. You can bet Kenny is looking to tweak the roster every year if he can (and in years past pull the blockbuster move), but the price has gotta be right. The team has been so good every year I don't feel like they have to make any move at all to be competitive.

I was just saying that having a good regular season doesn't mean you shouldn't make a move at the deadline like the poster I was quoting suggested.

Yeah, I know. I am sensitive about the Cross thing; it annoys me how people fail to understand the move for depth.

what do you guys think about getting colby armstrong. he is a very young yet very gritty player that can hit fight contribute to the 4th line and has a pretty funny personality as well. It would also be funny to pick up another penguin that would help us win the cup. if we win it this year with hossa conklin in net and armstrong i think it would be pretty humorous

what do you guys think about getting colby armstrong. he is a very young yet very gritty player that can hit fight contribute to the 4th line and has a pretty funny personality as well. It would also be funny to pick up another penguin that would help us win the cup. if we win it this year with hossa conklin in net and armstrong i think it would be pretty humorous

That wouldn't be a bad acquisition, but who do we have to give up (Atlanta was very greedy at the deadline last year) and who will he replace?

We have two full lines of mucky players: Cleary, Samuelsson, Helm, Maltby, Draper, McCarty; all of whom showed they could contribute during a long playoff run. Every one of them brought grit and depth scoring.

Colby Armstrong would be a lateral move as far as point production if he replaced Sammy. Cleary and Helm aren't going anywhere, and I'm sure everyone's happy with that. He would be an improvement over Draper, Maltby, and McCarty in terms of scoring, grit, or speed but all those guys are already proven to be a capable fourth liners. They've already shown they can step up their intensity for the big games.

Maybe look at it this way, if this team isn't willing to step it up in the playoffs this year, trading a few valuable picks for someone like Colton Orr, Colby Armstrong, or Chris Neil won't push them over the top. Heck even Steve Yzerman couldn't will a stacked team to the finals in '06, but can anyone question his grit or determination?

I don't see how Kenny can fit a fourth line depth player. Downey and McCarty took two-way contracts just so they could hang around all year. If a move must be made, space must be opened up.

Hockey boards are funny this time of year. The way Neil's value has been so overblown is also entertaining. He's average at best, and it's only the hopes Kenny does something, anything! by the deadline that keeps this nonsense going. No thanks.

This team needs Ozzie back and focused. Everything else will take care of itself if he returns to last years form. And our forwards are healthy.

This love affair with the Bruins and Sharks is soon going to be over, with one or both keeping with tradition and bowing out early in April. Until the Sharks WIN it all, they get little respect from this corner. Come talk to the Wings playoff time Mr. Thorton.

It's been a rare thing indeed, but this year, Kenny needs to do nothing to keep the sane Wings fans happy. Doing a deal just to do one is pointless.

I'm willing to give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt. He deserves that. The Sharks smoke us in May and go on to win the Cup? Not a bet I'm willing to make.

Go Wings!

Edited by motorcitykid

*edit*

Our team has played very average many nights this season and yet - here we sit firmly in 3rd and inside the top 3 all season.

Average goaltending.

Average defensive play.

Throw in a few nagging injuries.

I like our chances.

This love affair with the Bruins and Sharks is soon going to be over, with one or both keeping with tradition and bowing out early in April. Until the Sharks WIN it all, they get little respect from this corner. Come talk to the Wings playoff time Mr. Thorton.

Tis true, but a lot of people said that about the '97 Wings.

esteef

Hockey boards are funny this time of year. The way Neil's value has been so overblown is also entertaining. He's average at best, and it's only the hopes Kenny does something, anything! by the deadline that keeps this nonsense going. No thanks.

This team needs Ozzie back and focused. Everything else will take care of itself if he returns to last years form. And our forwards are healthy.

It's been a rare thing indeed, but this year, Kenny needs to do nothing to keep the sane Wings fans happy. Doing a deal just to do one is pointless.

I'm willing to give Ozzie the benefit of the doubt. He deserves that. The Sharks smoke us in May and go on to win the Cup? Not a bet I'm willing to make.

Go Wings!

Nice post. I won't go so far as to say which teams will or will not have success in the playoffs, though I will say that the Wings playing at the level they have for much of the season will not go far. I also don't think making a deadline deal will solve the problems this team is experiencing. I believe that once the playoffs start the defensive lapses and lack of focus will seem to have solved itself.

This team is experienced enough to be able to flip the switch when it counts.

You say we need Osgood to round back into form, and I am hoping he can, but I believe Conklin can fill in adequately behind our typically stingy playoff defense. Do you agree or disagree?

Tis true, but a lot of people said that about the '97 Wings.

esteef

And they would have rightly continued saying it had that team not earned their new reputation.

Go Wings!

Ya know what's even funnier then hockey boards this time of year? People that go on the said hockey boards to talk about how funny they are and how funny the people who contribute there are acting.

I don't think anyone has come close to over blowing Neil's value -- in fact I think a lot of people are so well informed that they know the realm of possibilities as too players we could get is very small, and a Neil type -- a fourth liner is about the most expensive and/or likely type we would be able to grab.

I mean I could only imagine how "funny" it would be if people were on here talking about getting players like Ryan Smythe or Scott Niedermier (sp?)-- players that have 100% zero chance of getting picked up. But you don't see that, because for the most part people here know that it isn't possible under any circumstance.

I will end it by saying that people like you -- the patronizing type, who feel as though they see things about this team at a higher level then others, thus allowing you to disregard and scoff others opinions are the true comedic relief of these boards.

But hey, I guess to each his own when it comes to comedy right?

Edited by sureWhyNot

Ya know what's even funnier then hockey boards this time of year? People that go on the said hockey boards to talk about how funny they are and how funny the people who contribute there are acting.

I don't think anyone has come close to over blowing Neil's value -- in fact I think a lot of people are so well informed that they know the realm of possibilities as too players we could get is very small, and a Neil type -- a fourth liner is about the most expensive and/or likely type we would be able to grab.

I mean I could only imagine how "funny" it would be if people were on here talking about getting players like Ryan Smythe or Scott Niedermier (sp?)-- players that have 100% zero chance of getting picked up. But you don't see that, because for the most part people here know that it isn't possible under any circumstance.

I will end it by saying that people like you -- the patronizing type, who feel as though they see things about this team at a higher level then others, thus allowing you to disregard and scoff others opinions are the true comedic relief of these boards.

But hey, I guess to each his own when it comes to comedy right?

ftw

I'll just add this: "overblowing" Neil's value would looking something like "OMG! Neil is an amazing player and we need him!" I don't see a lot of that. What I see is people saying he'd be a great addition, and could realistically be picked up.

I'll just add this: "overblowing" Neil's value would looking something like "OMG! Neil is an amazing player and we need him!" I don't see a lot of that. What I see is people saying he'd be a great addition, and could realistically be picked up.

Do we really need another fourth-liner? We have six guys who can play that role. Sure none may be able to fight as well but how many post-season fights has Neil been in?

Do we really need another fourth-liner? We have six guys who can play that role. Sure none may be able to fight as well but how many post-season fights has Neil been in?

Chris Neil is arguably the best 4th liner in the league. And we have arguably the worst 4th line in the league. He could help us a lot.

We don't have six Chris Neils.

But hey, keep raining on the parade.

Well, that's true but fighting aside, and he won't be fighting wherever he ends up, Cleary, Helm, and Samuelsson are better than Neil; Draper, Maltby, and McCarty were not useless and it's intentionally misleading to say they can't contribute.

Chris Neil is arguably the best 4th liner in the league. And we have arguably the worst 4th line in the league. He could help us a lot.

Sure they aren't dominating the league but they didn't last season either. They played their roles well in the playoffs and I believe they will this year too.

Well, that's true but fighting aside, and he won't be fighting wherever he ends up, Cleary, Helm, and Samuelsson are better than Neil; Draper, Maltby, and McCarty were not useless and it's intentionally misleading to say they can't contribute.

Sure they aren't dominating the league but they didn't last season either. They played their roles well in the playoffs and I believe they will this year too.

If you don't want better players on your team that's entirely your opinion. Those guys might just turn a switch and they've been playing better of late, but I'd still enjoy seeing Neil in the Wing's uniform and help motivate the physical game that a lot of Detroit fans yearn for.

Wow, didn't know that Cleary, Helm and Sammy were 4th liners -- well, maybe Helm, but you are right -- look at his point production he is much better then the run of the mill 4th liner.

Per THN:

Chris Neil, Ottawa: This is the kind of move an astute team like the Red Wings would make. Neil is tough and gritty first and foremost, but can also play and contribute some offense. By the end of the season, he’ll be a veteran of more than 500 NHL games and went to the Stanley Cup final with the Sens in 2007. Even though he’s out with a lacerated calf until after the deadline, don’t expect that to diminish Neil’s value.

Chunky I also want to say that you come up with some of the most bizarre and irrational explanations and arguments. I am pretty bad myself -- I have no problem admitting it. But you are on a different level then anyone I have come across on these boards.