• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Carman

Ethan Moreau

Rate this topic

Tonight one of my favorite non-wings Ethan Moreau got caught with a accidental high stick. It looked very serious, and I really hope this doesn't turn into another Berard type injury :unsure:

Anyways here is the video, it's quite graphic so be warned. :!:

I hate seeing these type of injuries. I wish him the best.

UPDATE: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2693...=secStory_main

He's back home, no surgery required, doctors will monitor it. This is really good preliminary news, hopefully the news keeps getting better.

Edited by Carman

Why did Miettinen get a penalty on that play again? He clearly got interfered with, which caused him to fall over with the stick coming up.

Guest Shoreline
Why did Miettinen get a penalty on that play again? He clearly got interfered with, which caused him to fall over with the stick coming up.

Uh, no, not even close. Watch again. Miettinen falls backwards with his right skate over Moreau's left skate while skating backwards and his stick flies up when he falls back. There was no interference at all. Around 0:49 - 0:51 it clearly shows the falling backwards being the reason why the stick goes up. 100% a penalty and he easily got his 4 mins worth. Hopefully Moreau is ok.

Edited by Shoreline

That's why you don't slewfoot people.

I'm only partially kidding. If Moreau hadn't put his skates in a place to trip Miettinen, it wouldn't have happened.

Moreau's feet might as well been in cement because they didn't move an inch. I know you were kidding about the slewfoot comment....well actually, you said only partially......it isn't even close to being a trip. Miettinen trie to lift Moreau's stick out of the way, that's why his stick was coming up. The loss of balance and falling caused it to come up higher and faster than it otherwise would have.

Edmonton Oilers' forward Ethan Moreau suffered a serious eye injury late in Saturday's game against the Minnesota Wild, and was immediately taken to Royal Alexandria Hospital in Edmonton.

"The stick looks like it gashed the socket and the doctors said it raked across the eyeball," Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish said following the game. "It looks pretty serious."

TSN

I can't believe that so many people are talking about getting rid of fighting because of injuries and nobody is saying that players should wear some kind of shield or cage. I'd rather get knocked into next week than lose my eye. I like how you can see a player's face when they don't have a cage, but too many guys are getting hit in the face and causing these bad injuries. Maybe people should start talking about that.

Guest Shoreline
I can't believe that so many people are talking about getting rid of fighting because of injuries and nobody is saying that players should wear some kind of shield or cage. I'd rather get knocked into next week than lose my eye. I like how you can see a player's face when they don't have a cage, but too many guys are getting hit in the face and causing these bad injuries. Maybe people should start talking about that.

Indeed. However, the face cage also would make guys not look tough. So if they wanna look tough, let cages/visors be optional as they are now and let the tough guys get injured.

Guest Shoreline
It's OK to wear a cup or knee shields, but only ******* cover their faces and necks...

That's the stigma.

Edited by Shoreline

I'm pretty sure this was an ironic post, but still, the cup and the knee shields... zey do nothing!!!!

When a person starts playing hockey he/she agrees that there's a risk for an injury, no matter how much you pad yourself or how many full face shields you wear. It's just strange that players generally show they are concerned about injuring other places, but not their faces.

found this on TSN....

Edmonton Oilers forward Ethan Moreau is back at home the day after suffering a scary eye injury against the Minnesota Wild on Saturday night.

Moreau was hit in his right eye by the stick of the Wild's Antti Miettinen late in the third period. After leaving the ice, Moreau was immediately taken to Royal Alexandria Hospital in Edmonton.

While the real extent of the injury is not yet known, surgery was not required on Saturday night. Doctors will continue to monitor the eye through the week to see if that changes.

There is no indication of how long the 33-year-old will be out.

Following the game, Oilers head coach Craig MacTavish expressed concern for his captain.

"We don't have much further to say about Ethan other than he has gone to the hospital and it looks pretty serious.

"He went under his own steam. It looks like the stick gave him a gash on the socket. According to the doctors you could see where it raked across the eye," MacTavish told the Canadian Press.

No (Emergency) Surgery Required!! Good Omen maybe

I don't think so. Visors really don't do a lot for high sticks, since it's coming from below.

I can speak from experience here. I choose to wear a full-face cage, and have worn this cage since before the injury I am going to describe. When I played in college, I took a high stick to the face that left a two-inch gash on my chin that required stitches. Had I not been wearing a cage, the stick would likely have continued up my face and into my eye. I have a reminder on my chin in the form of a scar.

I wear the full cage because of an eerily similar experience I escaped from without injury when I was younger and wore a half-visor. At one point during a game I got a defenseman's stick caught under my visor. Fortunately, both of us realized what had happened and were able to get it out without any injury after some wrangling, but after that day I switched to a full cage.