• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

StevieY'sguy

Wings good at trading away duds

Rate this topic

I got to thinking recently about some of the Wings transactions over the past 10-12 years and i realized that there have been very few players that the Wings have traded away or gotten rid of that went on to have successful careers or continued their success at a similar level that they had with the Wings. I am just spitballing here:

Players that haven't amounted to much: Anders Eriksson, Jason Williams, Joey Macdonald, Jaime Pushor, Dmitri Bykow, Jesse Wallin, Maxim Kuznetsov, Jaimie Rivers, Mathieu Dandenault, Aaron Ward, Kevin Hodson, Jason Woolley, Darryl Bootland

Players that have had solid careers post wings: Slava Kozlov (other then Yzerman was my favorite wing back in the day), Keith Primeau, Mike Knuble, Kyle Quincey (off to a promising start), Sean Avery???

Feel free to add, these are just off the top of my head, the wings seem to have pretty good foresight!

The only player I can think of that you missed is Tomas Fleischmann, who was part of the Robert Lang trade. He was a solid player but a redundant type of prospect so we could afford to trade him. I think he will have a solid career since his numbers have only gone up since he first played in the Show and the Capitals' system is perfect for his style of play.

The only player I can think of that you missed is Tomas Fleischmann, who was part of the Robert Lang trade. He was a solid player but a redundant type of prospect so we could afford to trade him. I think he will have a solid career since his numbers have only gone up since he first played in the Show and the Capitals' system is perfect for his style of play.

I was expecting someone to post this.

From what I've heard from Caps fans, hes essentially a Mikael Samuelsson.

I was expecting someone to post this.

From what I've heard from Caps fans, hes essentially a Mikael Samuelsson.

Except Samuelsson has reached his potential, where as Fleischmann hasn't yet. I'm not sour grapes over the trade. Like I said, he was another undersized, offensive-minded, perimeter playing Euro. Something that we had plenty of at the time.

we traded the pick to Washington that turned into Green, does that count?

beside that Wings front office has made a lot of great moves

Yeah, but given who the Wings tend to draft, there's no guarantee that we would have drafted Green anyway...

It's a whole case of shoulda coulda woulda. Who knows who we would have picked, and how they would have turned out.

Players that have had solid careers post wings: Slava Kozlov (other then Yzerman was my favorite wing back in the day), Keith Primeau, Mike Knuble, Kyle Quincey (off to a promising start), Sean Avery???

Given what we got for Kozzie and Primeau (one of my personal faves) in particular, I can't complain too much. Gotta give something to get something. Quincey was difficult, since we gave up a good player for nothing, but we were in a tough spot.

Like others have said, I could give a crap about Fleischmann and Matthias at this point, wake me when either one does something.

I got to thinking recently about some of the Wings transactions over the past 10-12 years and i realized that there have been very few players that the Wings have traded away or gotten rid of that went on to have successful careers or continued their success at a similar level that they had with the Wings. I am just spitballing here:

Players that haven't amounted to much: Anders Eriksson, Jason Williams, Joey Macdonald, Jaime Pushor, Dmitri Bykow, Jesse Wallin, Maxim Kuznetsov, Jaimie Rivers, Mathieu Dandenault, Aaron Ward, Kevin Hodson, Jason Woolley, Darryl Bootland

Feel free to add, these are just off the top of my head, the wings seem to have pretty good foresight!

Woolley was at the end of his career when he came here, we didn't get rid of him, he retired.

Bykov wasn't traded, he left to go back to Russia.

Williams and Ward have been solid players where ever they have gone.

Williams was an undrafted free agent and was a significant contributor on a playoff team this year, I hardly call that a dud or not amounting to much.

Ward was a solid defenseman on Carolina's cup winning team.

Shawn Matthias.... given to Florida in the Bertuzzi trade

And he hasn't done s*** since. He had two good games in Florida. Seriously- that's it. People have him pegged as a blue-chip prospect but in my opinion that's got more to do with his size than anything else. He could be really good, but he hasn't shown much if any progress this season.

Yeah, but given who the Wings tend to draft, there's no guarantee that we would have drafted Green anyway...

It's a whole case of shoulda coulda woulda. Who knows who we would have picked, and how they would have turned out.

I've got to agree with Jedi here. Odds are the Wings would have a completely different draft plan mapped out that likely wouldn't have included Green. Green's a Canadian so he'd be fast-tracking it to the NHL- that's counter to the draft and develop slowly in Europe plan the Wings ran in Green's draft year. Similar thing is going on now- the CBA gives American College bound players extra development time and the international rules for player signings changed in 06 such that slow burning players like they did in Europe before is much, much tougher... guess what kind of player the Wings have drafted with their high picks since then? Players who plan on going to US Colleges... The Wings have a very structured draft system.

I've got to agree with Jedi here. Odds are the Wings would have a completely different draft plan mapped out that likely wouldn't have included Green. Green's a Canadian so he'd be fast-tracking it to the NHL- that's counter to the draft and develop slowly in Europe plan the Wings ran in Green's draft year. Similar thing is going on now- the CBA gives American College bound players extra development time and the international rules for player signings changed in 06 such that slow burning players like they did in Europe before is much, much tougher... guess what kind of player the Wings have drafted with their high picks since then? Players who plan on going to US Colleges... The Wings have a very structured draft system.

Actually, since there is no longer an IIHF agreement in place right now, teams hold onto the rights of European prospects indefinitely.

Actually, since there is no longer an IIHF agreement in place right now, teams hold onto the rights of European prospects indefinitely.

That's the issue right there. The lack of an agreement doesn't help you either. Holding their rights in perpetuity is cool for prospects you probably wouldn't have signed, but the lack of an agreement with the IIHF is a bad thing if you're talking about blue-chip prospects.

That's the issue right there. The lack of an agreement doesn't help you either. Holding their rights in perpetuity is cool for prospects you probably wouldn't have signed, but the lack of an agreement with the IIHF is a bad thing if you're talking about blue-chip prospects.

I fail to see how that's an issue. If I remember correctly, the last IIHF agreement was you must sign European prospects within 2 years of when they were drafted. If we're talking about a blue-chip European prospect, then it wouldn't matter whether there was an agreement. You would surely sign them within 2 years.

I don't know if I'd throw Joey Mac on the dud pile yet ... he got 46 starts for the Islanders this year in place of DiPietro, and while his numbers weren't great, I seem to recall him having some pretty good games for them. That, and they're the freaking Islanders. Not saying he's the next Luongo, but he might have a future yet ...

I don't know if I'd throw Joey Mac on the dud pile yet ... he got 46 starts for the Islanders this year in place of DiPietro, and while his numbers weren't great, I seem to recall him having some pretty good games for them. That, and they're the freaking Islanders. Not saying he's the next Luongo, but he might have a future yet ...

This.

I fail to see how that's an issue. If I remember correctly, the last IIHF agreement was you must sign European prospects within 2 years of when they were drafted. If we're talking about a blue-chip European prospect, then it wouldn't matter whether there was an agreement. You would surely sign them within 2 years.

But no one has to respect that contract outside the NHL. A KHL club, putting that league's apparent financial issues aside, could offer your first overall draft pick an inane amount of money- something they could never get until 4 years down the road in the NHL. In that situation you're s*** out of luck.

when we played against joey macdonald he was fanaminal