• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sjradio

Poor Crosby / Double Standard

Rate this topic

I knew as soon as he said that last night people were going to be all over him. He just makes it too easy to rip on him. He's the league's golden boy up on the pedestal, of course everyone's gonna take shots at him.

What I want to know is how the hell Sidney Crosby gets left alone multiple times in front of the net like that? WTF Green?

esteef

Edited by esteef

Crosby is a poor captain. Period.

He shows a lack of respect to other players in the league (whether he is punching someone in the junk from behind, or whether he is throwing Nicklas Lidstrom under the bus for not showing up to the all-star game in order to muck it up with corporate sponsors) and he shows a lack of respect of hockey traditions and NHL fans. He is very competitive and talented, but his lack of respect and whining would really bother me in a captain. Judging from the free agent exodus from Pittsburgh over the past year, other players may feel the same.

Guest micah
...and he shows a lack of respect of hockey traditions....

..like the AllStar game? ;)

Crosby is a poor captain. Period.

He shows a lack of respect to other players in the league (whether he is punching someone in the junk from behind, or whether he is throwing Nicklas Lidstrom under the bus for not showing up to the all-star game in order to muck it up with corporate sponsors) and he shows a lack of respect of hockey traditions and NHL fans. He is very competitive and talented, but his lack of respect and whining would really bother me in a captain. Judging from the free agent exodus from Pittsburgh over the past year, other players may feel the same.

Agree, and to be honest, I never liked the idea of a young captain like that, even with Stevie Y. It just doesn't make any sense. Always better to have mature veteran presence as your leader, regardless of his skill or potential. Maturity and experience go a long way in my book. Let the kid learn from someone first then throw him into the fire. There's more to being a captain than putting the puck in the net.

esteef

edit: had second "captain" capitalized, we all know who the "Captain" is. sorry!

Edited by esteef

..like the AllStar game? ;)

I know you are largely joking, but Nicklas Lidstrom was legitimately injured and was under absolutely no obligation to travel while injured, per the CBA. Bettman instituted the "Crosby Clause" making it possible to escape his unofficial suspension by merely showing up, less than a week prior to the actual AllStar game.

Before that, Lidstrom played in the past 9 all-star games and never missed an NHL awards ceremoney. I know you feel Lidstrom is a terrible captain, but I think you would have a hard time convincing anyone that Crosby is a better representation of his team to the league and fans.

Honestly, I think the whole problem here is that this series is being touted as the match-up everyone's been waiting for because it is between the teams that have the 2 young faces of the NHL and many are looking to this series to finally settle the argument who's better Crosby or Ovechkin and at least so far, Crosby is losing. I think as much as he was hyped prior to coming into the league and as much as he is still hyped by the sports media he let himself believe he was the best player in the league and yet Ovechkin is showing not only everyone else, but Crosby too that the hype is just that, hype not reality.

Agree, and to be honest, I never liked the idea of a young captain like that, even with Stevie Y. It just doesn't make any sense. Always better to have mature veteran presence as your leader, regardless of his skill or potential. Maturity and experience go a long way in my book. Let the kid learn from someone first then throw him into the fire. There's more to being a captain than putting the puck in the net.

esteef

edit: had second "captain" capitalized, we all know who the "Captain" is. sorry!

I actually wonder if it has more to do with marketing sometimes. New, young, superstar captain creates a huge buzz and sells seats and jerseys.

I actually wonder if it has more to do with marketing sometimes. New, young, superstar captain creates a huge buzz and sells seats and jerseys.

For sure, but is that really the right criteria to use for selecting a captain? Marketing potential? I bet coaches hate when they're put into that position.

esteef

Honestly, I think the whole problem here is that this series is being touted as the match-up everyone's been waiting for because it is between the teams that have the 2 young faces of the NHL and many are looking to this series to finally settle the argument who's better Crosby or Ovechkin and at least so far, Crosby is losing. I think as much as he was hyped prior to coming into the league and as much as he is still hyped by the sports media he let himself believe he was the best player in the league and yet Ovechkin is showing not only everyone else, but Crosby too that the hype is just that, hype not reality.

The Caps are winning the series yes, but as far as Crosby vs. Ovi with regard to playoff production and scoring, Crosby is barely losing if at all. He's shown up but hasn't had any scoring help. They both are doing very well IMO.

esteef

To be fair, in the first two games I think Crosby and Ovechkin have been quite equal in their impact. Sure, Crosby isn't the clear cut best player in the league, but so far in the playoffs he is making a strong case for himself. The reason caps have won the two first games have been the goalies and that caps have gotten a little more secondary scoring and not that one superstar has been better than the other.

Edited by blikst

Guest Shoreline

I've said it up and down these forums.. GD, PD, people really for the most part are oblivious as to how well marketing strategies work. Crosby's marketable personality and entertaining on ice play is why he's in the position he's in. He matured early, although he is still just a kid and it's obvious in certain ways he acts. No one is/was perfect. For being thrown into the Captain seat at a rather early age, as well as having the media/fans up his ass at every turn since he was in juniors, he's handled it quite well.

I've said it up and down these forums.. GD, PD, people really for the most part are oblivious as to how well marketing strategies work. Crosby's marketable personality and entertaining on ice play is why he's in the position he's in. He matured early, although he is still just a kid and it's obvious in certain ways he acts. No one is/was perfect. For being thrown into the Captain seat at a rather early age, as well as having the media/fans up his ass at every turn since he was in juniors, he's handled it quite well.

So is the Caps marketing strategy any worse? Ovi's not the captain and he's huge in team/league marketing. I understand the intent, I just think it's dumb to put a player in that kind of situation when it's usually not necessary. BTW, have you seen me complimenting Crosby in this thread? C'mon Shorie, give me some props! :P

esteef

Edited by esteef

Hey Sid.. it was all a conspiracy set up by the evil-doers (anyone who doesn't worship Crysby). Totally set up for Ovie to have a hat-trick before yours and for the fans to throw the hats in "waves" just to piss you off.

Glad to see it worked, dumbass.

Guest Shoreline
So is the Caps marketing strategy any worse? Ovi's not the captain and he's huge in team/league marketing. I understand the intent, I just think it's dumb to put a player in that kind of situation when it's usually not necessary. BTW, have you seen me complimenting Crosby in this thread? C'mon Shorie, give me some props! :P

esteef

I guess I inherently skip over some posts in a "Crosby" related thread. :lol:

But as for Ovechkin, sure he's marketable, but there's not much one can see to him being a leader, as goal scoring isn't really the most essential element to being a captain. There are plenty of intangibles, like knowing the game (being able to talk to the refs, leading in the locker room, leading on the ice) that Alex looks like he's still learning. Hopefully he will be captain soon though. He's got the drive, just not the type of exposure Crosby got to this environment. Remember, Crosby's mentor was one of the NHL's best All-Time Captains, Super Mario. In the same right, Lidstrom started off as an elite captain because of who he was taught by, as in who he learned the game from. Crosby is all of those packages in one, which is why there's no doubt he's earned his spot as Captain and as a marketing face of the NHL. I'm not even a huge Crosby fan and it doesn't take Crosby fanaticism to realize what he brought to the NHL.

I guess I inherently skip over some posts in a "Crosby" related thread. :lol:

But as for Ovechkin, sure he's marketable, but there's not much one can see to him being a leader, as goal scoring isn't really the most essential element to being a captain. There are plenty of intangibles, like knowing the game (being able to talk to the refs, leading in the locker room, leading on the ice) that Alex looks like he's still learning. Hopefully he will be captain soon though. He's got the drive, just not the type of exposure Crosby got to this environment. Remember, Crosby's mentor was one of the NHL's best All-Time Captains, Super Mario. In the same right, Lidstrom started off as an elite captain because of who he was taught by, as in who he learned the game from. Crosby is all of those packages in one, which is why there's no doubt he's earned his spot as Captain and as a marketing face of the NHL. I'm not even a huge Crosby fan and it doesn't take Crosby fanaticism to realize what he brought to the NHL.

Doesn't help Ovechkins case that he's russian. Lidstrom was born with captain like abilities, Yzerman just helped them develop :P

Guest GordieSid&Ted
This is the stupidest thing I have ever read on the internet. Congrats.

It's called sarcasm you stupid twit. My point was for all the Crosby bashing he's got 8 goals and over a point per game in the playoffs. Maybe if our guys whined they start to produce = sarcasm = joke = poking fun at those complaining of Crosby's whining while pointing out he's getting it done on the ice and our stars are not.

Seriously, when did people get so fecking stupid.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
this is probably getting blwn out of proportion but it does sound like a pretty dumb thing to say, it would sound jsut as dumb if it was ovechkin saying it or anyone for that matter

The glaring issue here that people seem to overlook (because it benefits their bitching and whining about it) is that what Crosby said to the ref was between he and the ref. He didn't call a press conference to complain about this particular issue. Somebody asked him what he said and he answered it truthfully. IMO, he ought to lie about what he says so LGW crybabies don't have more fodder to toss about.

If people only knew how much stuff the players complained and/or "whined" about during games, they'd all look like a bunch of ******* babies.

Get over it people.