• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hockeymom1960

ECF, Penguins vs. Hurricanes.

Rate this topic

IF we beat Chicago (and of course we can't atke that for granted) it's kind of neat that we'd end up in a rematch of one of our last two Cup wins. I'm not sure who I'd face. I know next to nothing about 2009's Carolina team, and Pittsburgh is a little more dangerous and experienced than last year.

i think we'd slaughter the canes, they play more of a skill game, which plays into our hands. Pittsburgh's team is a one man show right now, Crosby's taken that entire team on his back so far this series. Shut him down (like we did last year) and it's not so much of a challenge.

Guest Four

You guys do realize how ironic it would be if we faced Pittsburgh and LOST this time while HOSSA is on our team? Hopefully this doesn't, but I'd feel very bad for the guy. >.>

IF we beat Chicago (and of course we can't atke that for granted) it's kind of neat that we'd end up in a rematch of one of our last two Cup wins. I'm not sure who I'd face. I know next to nothing about 2009's Carolina team, and Pittsburgh is a little more dangerous and experienced than last year.

I actually think just the opposite. I'm a little disappointed that, in the event we get past Chicago, we'll play someone we've already beaten in the Finals (during what I consider the "current" dynasty - '90s-'00s.) I sort of have this gotta-catch-em-all mentality about the Eastern Conference teams, which is why I wanted Boston instead.

Guest MrSandMan

First of all, I am a bit surprised Boston lost. I didn't get to watch game 7, nor do I know what the score was. But I thought they were stacked to win that series....

(wife wanted to watch the Grey's Anatomy finale` after the Wings game).

I think Pens are going to beat Canes in 6. Then again, I was wrong about Boston, too...

I am rooting for Canes!

How do you think Canes will match up against Pens?

Edited by MrSandMan

I could not agree with you more. I was skimming through the live blog over at Puck Daddy and after the Canes won, all I read was a bunch of comments about how the Pens are gonna handle the Canes with ease. I just don't see that happening. Carolina has taken out New Jersey and their amazing goaltending, and now Boston with their great defense. Boston is a great team up and down, and they actually worried me, having to face them in the Finals.

Carolina is no joke and I really still feel as if the Pens haven't played anyone GREAT! The Flyers just are not cut out for playoff hockey. I don't know what it is, but every game I've watched the past two seasons (or post-seasons) they've looked very beatable. This year they beat the Capitals who I have never been THAT impressed with.

Their offense is great, but their defense is sad. Even after Varlamov was playing insane hockey, he still had some huge brain farts that cost them the series.

I guess now we will REALLY see what the Penguins are made of. But in my opinion, the East, as mentioned above, is a complete joke. The only team I thought was that good (the Bruins) are now out of the playoffs.

Indeed- the scariest team in the east is now gone. I'm still not sure who I actually want to win the ECF, but I can at least be glad it won't be Boston!

Just a little bit of information:

1. All 17 species of Penguins live South of the Equator.

2. Hurricanes are also known as Typhoons and rotate clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere.

Good points.

I rate the remaining teams.

1 Detroit

2 Raleigh

3 Pittsburgh

4 Chicago

For 'cup testedness'.

Prediction: The ECF will be more competitive hockey than the WCF.

Particularly since the Crosby conspiracy will make sure it is.

Fun to be alive at this point in the season.

P. S. Love the sig.

Edited by Marty Midnight

i think we'd slaughter the canes, they play more of a skill game, which plays into our hands. Pittsburgh's team is a one man show right now, Crosby's taken that entire team on his back so far this series. Shut him down (like we did last year) and it's not so much of a challenge.

they're the least penalized team , we're the second least, and to me they looked pretty small compared to Bostons players.

all that gives us an advantage, I would've liked O6 against boston but I feel we match up against Carolina better.

I just want the Cup.

Don't talk too fast...there is still another round before the cup! Let's get past the Hawks first. They will be tough! The wings struggled with them this season.

I rank the Hawk fans in the same realm as the Penguin fans, they are poor sport bastards and need to eat a little more humble pie!

Go Wings! Go Canes! :yowza:

I see Pitt was whistled for 2 penalties last night against a team that was pressing them and had control of play for a good portion of the game. Hmmmmmm. That makes a grand total of two penalties called on them in their past six full periods of play. Impressive.

Refs will never let that happen, when the game gets boring those stupid calls including 5 on 3's will spice up the game..

Canes win this one... The Pens only beat the Caps cause rookie Varlamov had a couple terrible games with several weak goals. Ward will be solid.

If it's CAR/DET final it'll be similar to the ducks series (but a bit easier i'd think)... an even better goalie... one very serious scoring threat with some unexpected depth, and underrated offensive dmen (but they don't measure up to the ducks)

Just like your guys only beat the Ducks because their goalie put in the deciding goal himself as a gift in Game 7, right?

Sometimes I'm amazed at what I read. Varlamov pretty much stood on his head that last series, he was hardly what you'd call a liability. In fact some of his freakish saves are what kept Washington in the series to begin with.

None of the "weak" goals he gave up -- actually two overall -- made the difference in either game. And nothing came close to the total Xmas-present goal Fleury served up to Ovechkin when he passed him the puck from behind his own empty net. While we're busy counting fluke gift goals.

IF the Pens should make it past Carolina (a team that will get tougher as the series goes on) and IF they should meet Detroit again, this time it will be an epic series. I said last year before the series the Pens simply couldn't match Detroit's gang of battle-hardened vets who knew what it took to win the finals. Too many good players with too much knowledge of what it takes to win at crunch time. This time the Pens would come in armed with some of that; whether or not it's enough yet would tell the tale of the series.

You guys do realize how ironic it would be if we faced Pittsburgh and LOST this time while HOSSA is on our team? Hopefully this doesn't, but I'd feel very bad for the guy. >.>

THAT would be what you'd call "poetic justice."

And a goal disallowed because Coleapparently pushed Gill into Fleury.

"Apparently"?

Yeah, I know, the fix is all in again for the Pens. Never mind that Carolina got away with the non-call of the night, the lovely interference their guy pulled off knocking the stick out of Fleury's hands right before their last score.

Or did you all miss that one?

That is what you call the "non-deserved goal of the game."

No doubt even this was a ploy by the commish to tell the refs to let the 'Canes get away with one, so the league has an alibi for later on in the series when they REALLY start handing the games to the Pens. Some diabolical guy, that commish.

You guys don't miss a trick.

"Apparently"?

Yeah, I know, the fix is all in again for the Pens. Never mind that Carolina got away with the non-call of the night, the lovely interference their guy pulled off knocking the stick out of Fleury's hands right before their last score.

Or did you all miss that one?

That is what you call the "non-deserved goal of the game."

No doubt even this was a ploy by the commish to tell the refs to let the 'Canes get away with one, so the league has an alibi for later on in the series when they REALLY start handing the games to the Pens. Some diabolical guy, that commish.

You guys don't miss a trick.

this is a wings board mate and a lot of us hate the penguins - crosby especially - so there is bound to be some bias against them.

personally, neither crosby nor the pens bother me too much and the reason they are in the ECF is because they deserve to be. they deserved to win last night too but it will be a tough series against carolina - though it will be easier if ruutu and cole are out for any length of time. but i am hoping it goes to 7 games and you beat the crap out of each other!! :P

Edited by UKWING