Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Young captain Toews leads Blackhawks

Rate this topic

Young captain Jonathan Toews leads Chicago Blackhawks

By Dan McGrath

Tribune Reporter

May 17, 2009

The Blackhawks didn't want to force the captain's responsibilities on Jonathan Toews, but both soon learned he was ready for the job

If the Stanley Cup playoffs were a Western movie, Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews would be cast as a sheriff.

He's a thoughtful young man with fresh-faced good looks and a polite but serious demeanor. He considers his words before speaking, makes eye contact when he does speak and seems to radiate sincerity.

Well put together at 6 feet 2 inches and 209 pounds, Toews ("Taves") carries himself with the easy self-confidence that comes with succeeding in a physical line of work.

And if a town -- or a team -- needs cleaning up ...

"If your daughter came home with him, you'd be delighted -- he's the kind of kid you'd want for a son-in-law," Blackhawks Chairman Rocky Wirtz said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/hocke...0,5977872.story

Also...

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=531363

Q: Of all current, non-Red Wings NHL Players, whose play most closely resembles yours?

-- Michael P. Fitzgerald, Falls Church, Va.

Yzerman: Although he is bigger and stronger than I was, I think Jonathan Toews plays a similar style.

If that doesn't garner respect from Red Wings fans, nothing will.

Edited by Matt

Guest Shoreline

What's funny is it was predicted in college (and at the U17 WJC) that he would make captain to some pro club rather easily. There's something about him that just radiates "leader".

Edited by Shoreline

"If your daughter came home with him, you'd be delighted -- he's the kind of kid you'd want for a son-in-law," Blackhawks Chairman Rocky Wirtz said.

To me, that's one of the best compliments a man could ever receive.

He really comes off as a natural leader. The Hawks are lucky to have him. Much respect to Toews.

Yep. Zetterberg will have his work cut out for him.

You better be treating him right at home.

Edited by titanium2

Guest MrSandMan

Too much to read...

But I'll take Zetterberg any day of the week. Zetterberg has heart, guts, and bleeds red & white....

toews is a great player and leader, now he needs a personality

has anyone seen him on "Captains" on the NHL network? its like listening to a HS teacher

Edited by Selke13

Too much to read...

But I'll take Zetterberg any day of the week. Zetterberg has heart, guts, and bleeds red & white....

And Toews doesnt? He's won everywhere he's ever played, his heart is unquestionable and the guy has been playing through the flu on and off all playoffs. I know he's a scumbag because he plays for Chicago, but the kid has heart and lots of it.

Guest NumbaSixty-Six

I could punch Ray Shero in the face for drafting Jordan Staal over Toews.

Guest MrSandMan
And Toews doesnt? He's won everywhere he's ever played, his heart is unquestionable and the guy has been playing through the flu on and off all playoffs. I know he's a scumbag because he plays for Chicago, but the kid has heart and lots of it.

Zetterberg will own him.. over and over again. So the winy ***** is crying about having a flu - boo-hoo! How do we know Zetterberg is playing 100% healthy? I don't see Z crying about any health issues.

That my friend is heart and guts. No guts, no glory. Toews will be crying like Jonas Hiller.... very soon.

Zetterberg will own him.. over and over again. So the winy ***** is crying about having a flu - boo-hoo! How do we know Zetterberg is playing 100% healthy? I don't see Z crying about any health issues.

That my friend is heart and guts. No guts, no glory. Toews will be crying like Jonas Hiller.... very soon.

So let me get this straight. You're saying that Zett has more heart because he's playing even though we don't know if he could possibly be hurt (yet he shows no real signs of injury) but Toews is a cry baby because he's proven to have played through an illness and win?

You have the most retarded logic if that was a serious post.

Edited by Tommy_Like_Wingy

Guest MrSandMan
So let me get this straight. You're saying that Zett has more heart because he's playing even though we don't know if he could possibly be hurt (yet he shows no real signs of injury) but Toews is a cry baby because he's proven to have played through an illness and win?

You have the most retarded logic if that was a serious post.

Whoa, cool the jets tiger. No reason to get all classless by using defamatory and obscene words. But shall I remind you that Zetterberg was MVP with a sore back last year. You'll never know if Z has any nagging injuries... it's not his style to whine about it.

But then again, you appear to be a new hockey and/or Red Wings fan, which is cool. You just didn't know these things about the team. Now you do. Stick around, you'll learn more hockey! ;)

Just because someone is new to the board, doesn't mean they're new to hockey/the Wings. I've only been here a year, but I've been following the team for 15 years.

It's kind of asinine to assume that just because he just registered here he can't tell the difference between a puck and his elbow.

Guest MrSandMan
Just because someone is new to the board, doesn't mean they're new to hockey/the Wings. I've only been here a year, but I've been following the team for 15 years.

It's kind of asinine to assume that just because he just registered here he can't tell the difference between a puck and his elbow.

His registry was never mentioned. But you'd think one would know who was the playoff MVP/Conn Smythe last year, especially if that player was on the team you cheer for....

His registry was never mentioned. But you'd think one would know who was the playoff MVP/Conn Smythe last year, especially if that player was on the team you cheer for....

I didn't see anywhere in this thread where he mentioned he didn't know who won the Conn Smythe last year.

We as a community should be far more welcoming to new members, whether they're new to the team or the board.

I didn't see anywhere in this thread where he mentioned he didn't know who won the Conn Smythe last year.

We as a community should be far more welcoming to new members, whether they're new to the team or the board.

Shhh go away logic.

I think there is a soft spot in every wings heart for Toews.. No matter how big of a rival the hawks are to us, He reminds everyone of Stevie-Y so much. Kane on the other hand.... screw him.

There are only a few Hawks i would love to have on the wings, Toews, Byfuglein and Eager.

I for some reason can't bring myself to hate Toews. If he scores the series winning goal then I think I might be able to turn up the hate, but the guy is a hell of a player

I for some reason can't bring myself to hate Toews. If he scores the series winning goal then I think I might be able to turn up the hate, but the guy is a hell of a player

That's a much different kind of hate. It has elements of admiration and respect to it.

It's not like the hate we all have for Perry and Pronger. Especially Pronger, it's hard for me to believe someone could be such a prick.

What is up with the flu? Last year Theodore suddenly had the flu in a few games vs the Wings (or does he just suck and that was his excuse). Then Getzlaf last series had the flu a few games, now Toews? Plus once you have the flu and recover, it doesn't come "on and off". Does Pavel have the flu? I'm beginning to wonder.

Also, don't these guys get flu shots? Sure there are other strains but they should be immune to the most common seasonal one this year.....

I think there is a soft spot in every wings heart for Toews.. No matter how big of a rival the hawks are to us, He reminds everyone of Stevie-Y so much. Kane on the other hand.... screw him.

There are only a few Hawks i would love to have on the wings, Toews, Byfuglein and Eager.

But not Keith? Fine with me.

Heck, there's lots of players on the Wings I would love to have on the Hawks.

Edited by BlackhawksFan