• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zetterling

Detroit has won 44 Stanley cups.

Rate this topic

http://www.mouthpiecesports.com/media/chic...game-one-21172/

A Chicago sports writer says the Red Wings have won 44 Stanley Cups. While that would be awesome it is a huge error.

CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS HEAD TO DETROIT TO FACE THE RED WINGS IN GAME ONE

Email Embed MySpace Facebook Digg

By Sarah Spain | Author Archive

May 16, 2009 08:55 PM

Sunday afternoon the Chicago Blackhawks head to Detroit to face the defending Stanley Cup Champions in Game One of the Western Conference Finals. The young, fast, skilled Hawks team will meet their match in an experienced, disciplined, deep Wings team.

It’s the classic tale of David and Goliath. Age versus experience. The veterans versus the up-starts. The gray-beards versus the no-beards. The defending Stanley Cup champions versus the little-team-that-could.

No matter which way you slice it, the Western Conference Final series between the Detroit Red Wings and Chicago Blackhawks will be absolutely and totally kick-ass. Two Original Six teams with histories that can’t be summed up in jerseys hung from a rafter or heritage nights. Two of hockey’s royalty, two of hockey’s biggest rivals, and, this year, two of hockey’s very best teams.

History—both “ancient†and recent—gives the edge to the Red Wings. Detroit has won 44 Stanley Cups, including the last one. The Hawks have won just three, and not a one since 1961. The Blackhawks went 2-2-2 against Detroit this season, but their two wins were against a Wings team that had already clinched their playoff seed.

In many ways, the teams are similar. Both are incredibly deep, with four lines that can hurt you offensively and blue-liners that can turn into deadly shooters if given the chance. The two teams are ranked first and second in postseason power play percentage, with the Hawks besting the Wings by just three percentage points (29.4% to 26.4%).

Both the Wings and Hawks are loaded with offensive weapons; guys like Patrick Kane who can light you up for three goals before you can say “Detroit Sucks.†Both teams have defensive stars; guys like Nicklas Lidstrom who’s won the Norris Trophy six times.

Chicago edges Detroit in average goals per game in the playoffs (3.67 to 3.64), but the occasional blowout at the hands of an opponent has resulted in the Wings having allowed significantly fewer goals per game (2.18 to 2.92 respectively).

One of the key differences in the series may be goaltending. Nikolai Khabibulin hasn’t needed to stand on his head all postseason. He disappeared for a few games, allowing some soft goals, but overall he’s been good enough to get the job done and never tested enough to draw the attention of, say, a Cam Ward. Chris Osgood has stepped up for the Wings in the playoffs, but he’s had a shaky year overall and, much like Roberto Luongo, can be mentally rattled by the opposition.

Game one is Sunday afternoon in Detroit. Let the battle between the past and the future begin; in the end there can only be one team who owns the present.

Hmmm, sounds like bandwagon fans!

Edited by Zetterling

Guest Shoreline

Damn, that would be one cup every couple years. This team would have a fan backlash that would by FAR exceed the Patriots and Yankees ever wished they could trump.

2 more and will be passing those good old Maple Leafs

Technically we're tied. The extra 2 to make 13 were actually when the Cup wasn't an NHL only trophy. Sort of gives them a fake edge. Oh, and they were the St. Pats. Not sure if they were roster-wise the same team, though.

I do not get Chicago self-referencing as "The Team of the Future"...

Hell, they are going to be hurt by their hordes of UFA's asking for a big raise all at once!

Edited by zombiewing

Sarah Spain can use fuzzy math all she wants as far as I'm concerned...

sarah_spain_1.jpg

Niiiicee...

Per mouthpice.com

Sarah Spain:

A Cornell grad, Second City alum & former collegiate & Junior Olympic athlete, Spain is a deadly combo of sports knowledge and wit.

Haha, Ivy league and can't do math or get the facts right. This makes me angry. lol

Edited by Zetterling

44 Stanley Cups in total on their roster noob lol

Chicago has 3.

Just poor wording is all. "44 Cups, including the last one." Makes it that they've won 44, including last year's.

"The Wings have 44 Cups on their roster, compared to Chicago's 3." type thing would've been better.

sarah_spain_1.jpg

I think she is hiding some of those 44 cups Detroit has won in her chest.

I do not get Chicago self-referencing as "The Team of the Future"...

Hell, they are going to be hurt by their hordes of UFA's asking for a big raise all at once!

Yea there's a lot of team with a big future ahead of them, Chicago is just one of many. We've got a good future too.

Guest Shoreline

sarah_spain_1.jpg

I think she is hiding some of those 44 cups Detroit has won in her chest.

dog_huh.jpg

Guest Shoreline
Speaking of pictures, the game is at 3pm tomorrow. Shouldn't someone have started the 1000 posts thread by now?

Can't be arsed. Someone else do it. I got some Oblivion to play then I'll come spam it in a bit. :P

Just poor wording is all. "44 Cups, including the last one." Makes it that they've won 44, including last year's.

"The Wings have 44 Cups on their roster, compared to Chicago's 3." type thing would've been better.

Yeah, then she says in the same sentence "The Hawks have won just three, and not a one since 1961." Which implies she was thinking overall team cups. Chicago has won 3 overall team cups. I have a headache. lol

Edited by Zetterling