• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike

Blackhawks' Brian Campbell: "Gutless"

Rate this topic

Same old story, different series. I guess Campbell failed to watch a replay of the hit or he is just stupid. To me, it seems like Campbell is trying to jockey the NHL into suspending Kronwall.

Not surprisingly, the opinions on Niklas Kronwall's hit on Martin Havlat during the first period of Game 3 differed depending on what dressing room you were in.

An angry Blackhawks defenseman Brian Campbell was by far the most outspoken player regarding the shoulder check to the head that knocked Havlat out of the game.

"I thought (Kronwall) jumped. I thought Marty didn't have the puck. I thought his forearm came up high. I thought it was gutless all around,'' Campbell said. "He's done it hundreds of times in the league and it seems like nothing ever happens. ... These guys gotta pay for it, guys that are taking shots to the head. It's unacceptable, and it's not like it's the first time it's happened with that guy."

Kronwall defended the hit.

"I think people that know me know that I never really try to hurt anyone out there,'' Kronwall said.

He said he is hoping Havlat is OK.

"I think I would have felt the same way (as Campbell) if someone did that to one of my teammates,'' Kronwall said. "It's unfortunate he got hurt. You never try to hurt anyone. You try to make a hit.''

MLive

Edited by Mike

If thats what he thinks then he should have been suspended on his hit on Umberger a few years ago when he was with Buffalo.

Edited by Grinder_25

What did you think he'd say? "Good clean hit, solid play. Hell, I watched the replay, Marty got smoked."

He could have said that hitting is part of the game and sometimes you get hit hard and that he hopes Havlat is ready for Game #4. More and more players are making statements like this and it makes them look like total jackasses because most of the time they are wrong.

Guest Shoreline

Campbell should be worrying about not turning the puck over in his end more than his Monday morning quarterbacking of Kronner's hitting.

"I thought he jumped. I thought Marty didn't have the puck. I thought his forearm came up high. I thought it was gutless all around,'' Campbell said. "He's done it hundreds of times in the league and it seems like nothing ever happens. ... These guys gotta pay for it, guys that are taking shots to the head. It's unacceptable, and it's not like it's the first time it's happened with that guy."

I question the first two words.

Watch a replay, then comment. If you don't know, waffle. "I haven't seen the replay. Obviously the team's first concern right now is the health of Marty. I do want to get a good look at it- I just haven't had time to do that yet."

Gets you off the hook without committing you to saying anything stupid.

I agree. Campbell is a class guy who would NEVER hit someone with their head down and the puck not on their stick.

Edited by RedFX

Guest Shoreline

Btw, Mike, can you include the source when you copy/paste.

It's only polite to do when copy/pasting material you didn't make, as well as for those who want to read the article.

Edited by Shoreline

Btw, Mike, can you include the source when you copy/paste.

It's only polite to do when copy/pasting material you didn't make, as well as for those who want to read the article.

Link to source was edited out when I added Kronwall's comments. Added back. I quoted the copied material and included the entire article. In no way did I make an attempt to make it appear as my own work. Check my other posts that quote articles and they all include links.

Edited by Mike

I question the first two words.

Watch a replay, then comment. If you don't know, waffle. "I haven't seen the replay. Obviously the team's first concern right now is the health of Marty. I do want to get a good look at it- I just haven't had time to do that yet."

Gets you off the hook without committing you to saying anything stupid.

Agreed. Maybe he thought that it might get him off the hook for his stupid play that won the last game for us. (Right again, Shore.) Larry Murphy said after that game on the NHL channel that you never, ever pass laterally in that kind of situation and in that locale on the ice.

The topper? Campbell was interviewed after that game and said he'd do the same thing over again if he had the chance. One of the other annnouncers on the NHL channel literally came out of his chair on that one.

So it could be an attempt at a re-direct on his part to cover his ass TWO ways. To me, he just made himself look even more stupid by the way he descirbed Kronner's hit.

I don't understand how the term "gutless" figures in to this hit. How exactly is it gutless? It was massive and explosive and lethal and ferocious and thundering and bone rattling and any other adjective you could think of to describe the devastation dropped on Havlat, but to suggest some how that it was a cheap play devoid of courage, or substance or strength is just idiotic. Stuff it Soupy and turn the puck over some more...

Edited by Rocket Queen 30

Video with a proper explanation, something Versus cannot provide. That's not gutless, it's hockey.

Edited by Mike

He could have said that hitting is part of the game and sometimes you get hit hard and that he hopes Havlat is ready for Game #4. More and more players are making statements like this and it makes them look like total jackasses because most of the time they are wrong.

No, there is more and more media covering players saying stupid s***. Players have said this sorta dumb stuff since the beginning of organized sports. But now everyone blogs and there's 12 channels that just cover sports and satelittle radio... there's just more media, not more stupidity.

I agree he could have had a different tone, but he's gonna side with his team mate every time.

No, there is more and more media covering players saying stupid s***. Players have said this sorta dumb stuff since the beginning of organized sports. But now everyone blogs and there's 12 channels that just cover sports and satelittle radio... there's just more media, not more stupidity.

I agree he could have had a different tone, but he's gonna side with his team mate every time.

Calling Kronwall gutless is not siding with your teammate, it's being a jackass who is trying to make this big, grand statement.

Ok, sure. But my point is still valid.

The Red Wings don't do the kinds of things that you talk about. It's players seeking that media attention that is provided by those 12 sports channels and a billion blogs. Take a look at the Wings reaction to the Hudler hit and it is nothing like the reaction Wisniewski had to the "elbow" Holmstrom landed and nothing like Campbell's reaction to Kronwall's hit. Not all players are saying stupid things.

Edited by Mike

You ought to post that pic on the blackhawk boards....

I wouldn't waste my time. I'm sure they would come up with some stupid excuse for why it was a penalty.

The Red Wings don't do the kinds of things that you talk about. It's players seeking that media attention that is provided by those 12 sports channels and a billion blogs. Take a look at the Wings reaction to the Hudler hit and it is nothing like the reaction Wisniewski had to the "elbow" Holmstrom landed and nothing like Campbell's reaction to Kronwall's hit. Not all players are saying stupid things.

I didn't say all players say stupid things. I said the number of stupid players isn't increasing, just the media coverage.

*edited for clarity*

Edited by thedisappearer