• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zrf

Quenneville/ "Worst call.."

Rate this topic

I don't understand why teams keep recycling coaches. These coaches keep going from team to team and never meeting expectations. Why doesn't a team go after a successful college or AHL coach? Is it more political or something? Do teams only like to hire their friends or people they owe favors or something?

I actually think many teams are going that way. We'll see with some of the vacancies this summer, Calgary etc. I personally don't know why anyone would hire Q unless you knew your team was going nowhere anyways.... but better for us to keep him in the West. ;)

Yeah that blows... that happened to Buffalo back in the playoffs in 2000. LeClaire was credited with a goal that resulted from a shot he took that went through the side of net. It was brutal and after the replays you could clearly see it went through the next ... but it was allowed to stand. Those are some really lousy calls and rank among the worst calls in the history of sports.

I remember that like yesterday... Hasek was standing there waving his glove and signalling that the net had a hole in it. They went ahead and played another shift, and then said, well, it's too late to recall the goal. Play continued and now it's too late. <_<

Sabres and Hasek had waaaay more than their share of wrong calls and bad goals. So do the Wings, even seems to me a bit out of proportion to what other teams are stuck with. San Jose being given a goal off the netting and Needaweiner pushing Dom into the goal with the puck stopped under him -- and that stood as a "goal" as well... no whistles in evidence, of course.

The Stars' "goal" was the worst, though. Sometimes a wrong call costs you a game -- but when it costs a team the Stanley Cup, heads should roll over it. JMO.

No, I won't ever get over it. Sorry.

Edited by puckloo39

The call was, most likely, a reaction to the refs watching out for Kronwall in those after the whistle scrums. Walker saw his chance to get a little "justice" and dove in behind Kronwall, grabbing him by the collar of his shoulderpads, and yanked back several times rather violently.

The refs were obviously keen on the idea that the Hawks were going to try and get some retribution and were watching the Hawks like, well hawks!

:thumbup:

We have a winner folks. Ding! Ding! Ding!

The fact that Quenville called this the worst call in the history of sports is laughable, and frustrating at the very least. I realize the hit Kronwall put on Havlat was pretty viscious, but this was a perfectly legal hit, and if the shoe was on the other foot Q would have a different opinion. To me that was one of the worst calls in Stanley Cup Playoff history. The game has changed so much, that in my day when someone was hit like that, you would say I screwed up and got caught looking at the puck. you always have to look out for the hit especially in the playoffs, and defineately while coming up the boards on a breakout.

Back to the other worst call ever. Quenville was too far away from the play at the end 1st, and knowone could really see what was going on in that scrum. What I did see though was as the Hawks were going after Kronwall, the referee stepped up and I'm pretty sure he said something to the effect " calm down boys', if you keep it up your going in the box", he had to have seen something, because right after that I saw him point at one of the players, I assume it was Walker, and made a call. Now this was only a two minute minor, not a five and game like Kronner got. I agree with a previous post that the game was already decided before that point. The hawks had already lost their composure before they stepped on the ice. Bottom line one minor penalty does not decide the outcome of a game, the fact that Q did a terrible job preparing his team did.

I do agree that the Brett Hull goal was the worst call ever, at least according to the rule book at the time, obviously they are a little more flexible now on calls like that. If that would have been Homer instead of Hull the goal would have been disaloud.

post-17372-1243268725.jpg

Edited by oldtimeicer

I remember that like yesterday... Hasek was standing there waving his glove and signalling that the net had a hole in it. They went ahead and played another shift, and then said, well, it's too late to recall the goal. Play continued and now it's too late. <_<

Sabres and Hasek had waaaay more than their share of wrong calls and bad goals. So do the Wings, even seems to me a bit out of proportion to what other teams are stuck with. San Jose being given a goal off the netting and Needaweiner pushing Dom into the goal with the puck stopped under him -- and that stood as a "goal" as well... no whistles in evidence, of course.

The Stars' "goal" was the worst, though. Sometimes a wrong call costs you a game -- but when it costs a team the Stanley Cup, heads should roll over it. JMO.

No, I won't ever get over it. Sorry.

agreed

the most laughable and pathetic part about all of this to me is that he is complaining about a call that happened with TWO THIRDS of the game left to be played. Its not like this occurred at a crucial time in the third. His team was down only TWO goals with 40 minutes to play, and he is honestly blaming a SIX to ONE loss on a 2 minute roughing call? Lol quennville... you embarrass yourself and your team.

the most laughable and pathetic part about all of this to me is that he is complaining about a call that happened with TWO THIRDS of the game left to be played. Its not like this occurred at a crucial time in the third. His team was down only TWO goals with 40 minutes to play, and he is honestly blaming a SIX to ONE loss on a 2 minute roughing call? Lol quennville... you embarrass yourself and your team.

Even being down three goals isn't insurmountable. I thought these were the "Comeback Kids"?

Cheating cheaters who cheat.. LOL ....

I heard something during the game today and I'm not sure if it was Edzo or McGuire saying something about the Wings being the best team in the league at interfering and getting away with it, basically calling us the best at being cheating cheaters who cheat. Did anyone else hear that?

I posted in the GDT about that, it was Olczyk, can't keep from being a homer on national TV.

It's either legal, or it's interference. Can't have it both ways, Eddie. If it's interference, then it needs to be called, direct your comments towards the officiating. We set screens without actually interfering, and you're right, we're dang good at it too. But it's within the rules.

Worst call in the postseason is now definitely Kronwall's interference on Havlat, especially after Pahlsson "Roughing" call on Flip.

Q should open his eyes and realize what is killing his team is his inability to control the players even after the Refs have made a blatant attempt to stop the bulls***!

If Kronner's hit on Havlat is 5 and a game Pahlsson's hit of Flip should have been 5 and a game with a suspenion, because it was far and a way more of what the league is trying to cut down on.

-Hit to the head

- Blatant interference as in the puck was at least 15 feet away and no where near flip 2 minutes, yet the puck between Havlat's skates and his eyes in the same place was 5 and a game.

BAD refereeing in general, not for the Wings not for the Hawks, just bad in general.

Edited by Opie

Worst call in the postseason is now definitely Kronwall's interference on Havlat, especially after Pahlsson "Roughing" call on Flip.

Q should open his eyes and realize what is killing his team is his inability to control the players even after the Refs have made a blatant attempt to stop the bulls***!

If Kronner's hit on Havlat is 5 and a game Pahlsson's hit of Flip should have been 5 and a game with a suspenion, because it was far and a way more of what the league is trying to cut down on.

-Hit to the head

- Blatant interference as in the puck was at least 15 feet away and no where near flip 2 minutes, yet the puck between Havlat's skates and his eyes in the same place was 5 and a game.

BAD refereeing in general, not for the Wings not for the Hawks, just bad in general.

You're right about that no question. Every game I've watched in the playoffs so far has had bad calls

I posted in the GDT about that, it was Olczyk, can't keep from being a homer on national TV.

It's either legal, or it's interference. Can't have it both ways, Eddie. If it's interference, then it needs to be called, direct your comments towards the officiating. We set screens without actually interfering, and you're right, we're dang good at it too. But it's within the rules.

Yeah, I think he uses the wrong word to get his point across. Last I heard, you were allowed to stand your ground, you're just not allowed to move and purposely try to impede the pathway to the puck. If Hossa leaves a puck for someone then keeps skating or gliding, that's not interference. If Hossa tries to purposely block the player to the puck, then it's interference.

I don't think Eddie did a good job of expressing his point.

-Hit to the head

So true. It's been as bad as I've seen it in years. The NHL needs to correct this in the off-season.

Even being down three goals isn't insurmountable.

As we proved in Game 3. It's a shame we didn't win that game, but coming back from a 3-0 deficit to force OT is no easy feat. I was proud of the guys for making it a game.

:lol: people just can't accept that we're better than them. it pisses people off that the wings are good year after year and so instead of giving us credit, they and their sour grapes have to find some other reason why the wings won rather than that they're the better team.

i agree that the call was bad, and will continue to believe that until some explanation is given for it (i believe there may be a good reason why the refs called it, they're just not sharing--there also might be no good reason for it). but there have been bad calls both ways all playoffs. but, hey, we came back from a 3-0 deficit to tie the game. it was also one of the SIX goals we scored in the game. your team gave up a shortie. your goalies were bad and your d-men were worse. your goonery after going down a few goals prevented any possibility of a comeback--you conceded the game long before it was over. there's a lot of other s*** that you can deal with other than one weak call.

we've had a late-stages game-tying goal illegitimately waived off and a player illegitimately ejected early in a game. we're up 3-1 in the WCF with the series going back home. you can overcome adversity...if you know how to f*king coach.

I guess you can't really blame the guy. Impartiality is pretty difficult to adhere to especially if it's your former team on the receiving end of a major ass whooping.