• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

zrf

Quenneville/ "Worst call.."

Rate this topic

And people thought this was one of the worst calls:

bretthull_nogoal.jpg

I still do. And it was.

Q needs to go coach Little League or something milder than NHL hockey. He doesn't have much in the way of perspective if he thinks the call on Walker made any difference in this game today.

I've never liked this guy dating back to his St. Louis days. His teams are undisciplined and resort to b.s. tactics once they fall behind. Today there could have been more misconducts called against the hawks than were actually called.

Quenneville should be more concerned about not being able to control his players.

Even after Hossa's 2nd goal there was plenty of time left in the game to mount a comeback. Instead, the Blackhawks lost their composure and took a bunch of stupid penalties.

I've never liked this guy dating back to his St. Louis days. His teams are undisciplined and resort to b.s. tactics once they fall behind. Today there could have been more misconducts called against the hawks than were actually called.

Double whammy, he's coached in Colorado and St. Louis. What's next? Atlanta? :cool:

Was he watching the same team as us?

I'm assuming as a coach he's got the biggest homer goggles of them all, but he has to be able to call his team out in the locker room and let them know "You're being goons!"

EDIT: I understand that call at the end was weak (not the worste in history, though or this postseason), but what I mean is that one penalty didn't cost the game, it was the ocean of goonery surrounding it. Teams get bad calls, we all know this, but the Hawks, save a few, were absolute goons on the ice after the first period.

Edited by Pavrik Zettersyuk

I'm not even sure what play he's talking about. Can anyone elaborate because I don't recall what happened at the end of the 1st?

There was a scrum at the end of the first with about eight players in total milling about. Walker was about man # 7 entering the milling group but he was the only one picked for a minor. It was a very peculiar/bad call, but should we wind back the tape of the Kronwall hit for him?

He showed three fingers in a profanity-laced argument with the officials, and according to Pierre The Mouth who was at the bench area, he was saying the Wings had three consecutive power plays. Which was, a) untrue (that was only the second straight power play), and b) not exactly unprecedented (Wings had to try to kill off four in a row in the first period Friday night).

Quenneville's best asset is his mustache, and he's still only #2 in that category among coaches in this series.

Actually I don't think he's such a bad coach, not even in the playoffs. It's the Wings specifically that have his number something fierce.

Quennville is more than welcome to blame the refs. Reminds me of Hitchcock with Columbus, he complains about the reffing rather than looking at his own team, and we all know how that ended. So that is perfectly fine. Keep looking at the refs rather than seeing that you and your team lost control.

There was a scrum at the end of the first with about eight players in total milling about. Walker was about man # 7 entering the milling group but he was the only one picked for a minor. It was a very peculiar/bad call, but should we wind back the tape of the Kronwall hit for him?

He showed three fingers in a profanity-laced argument with the officials, and according to Pierre The Mouth who was at the bench area, he was saying the Wings had three consecutive power plays. Which was, a) untrue (that was only the second straight power play), and b) not exactly unprecedented (Wings had to try to kill off four in a row in the first period Friday night).

Playing Devil's advocate.... They were probably looking to take one blackhawk to the box based on their behavior in the scrum and just einy meeny mini moed on Walker. They were starting scrums all over the place and the officials wanted it to stop. Maybe it didn't make sense to send Walker there but some Hawk was going to pay up regardless.

Quennville is more than welcome to blame the refs. Reminds me of Hitchcock with Columbus, he complains about the reffing rather than looking at his own team, and we all know how that ended. So that is perfectly fine. Keep looking at the refs rather than seeing that you and your team lost control.

I don't really remember Hitchcock complaining about the refs in that series. He's about the only coach that I can remember taking his beat down with class. :P

Edited by Trapt1307

The call on Walker was a B.S. call, but that's not the reason the Hawks lost the game.

The game was already over by that point.

Right on brother!

We are lucky. We actually had the worst call in all of sports twice (Hossa non goal and Kronner hit), but DID OUR COACH GO WHINING TO THE PRESS? NEVER! There is a level of class and just plain balls to Babcock and we will never wince at him being a ***** ***** crying in the post game no matter what happens. The closest he came was in the finals last year when he said something like, "Maybe I should start complaining like the other guy." That was classic. Only coaches who are losers cry to the press. The good ones are thinking about how to win the next one.

I don't really remember Hitchcock complaining about the refs in that series. He's about the only coach that I can remember taking his beat down with class. :P

You don't remember him pissing and moaning about the refs calling too many men against his team, and acting like somehow the game situation should have allowed him to put six skaters out there with no consequence?

Quenneville's best asset is his mustache, and he's still only #2 in that category among coaches in this series.

Actually I don't think he's such a bad coach, not even in the playoffs. It's the Wings specifically that have his number something fierce.

Actually I think he is bad, period. Doesn't say much about Calgary or Vancouver. I think back to 1999 when he coached the #1 seed Blues right into a upset by the #8 SJ Sharks in the first round. In 2001, he actually got to the WCF played an Avs team minus Forsberg, and just coming off a 7 game series. Not that he should have beaten the Avs but he mustered only one win in that series.

I think the Hawks got to the WCF on their youth mojo and skill alone, and playing perennial underachieving Canadian teams - then the Q factor came into this series....

Remember how we cheat at faceoffs and are cheating cheaters who cheat?

Though, looking back on it, Hitch's bitching was quite mild compared to Carlyle and Quenneville.

Obviously a coach's job is to ***** and try and steer the officiating his way if he can, but spare us the hyperbole, Q.

Hitchcock complained about face offs but he was at least very gracious in defeat and gave the Wings tons of credit for winning as thoroughly as they did...

Carlyle was a bitter old curmudgeon.

I like how every fan of the red wing opponents thinks they're not that overmatched against the red wings. Hello, we've won 4 cups in 11 years, about to be 5 in 12. I'd say most all of you are overmatched.

Sorry for the arrogance, but it's fact.

That being said, I've been saying it since the start of the playoffs, and really since the Hawks acquired Q, that they weren't going anywhere with him behind the bench. My sister's boyfriend is a hawks fan and I told him that the day they hired Q. He laughed it off, but I told him as long as they run into Detroit, they'll never get by us with Q behind the bench.

You don't remember him complaining that we cheated on faceoffs and the refs overlooked it?

A refreshingly honest take on today's debacle out of Chicago...and he calls out JQ for being insane to complain about that one call as if it had anything to do with why they got their asses handed to them....i liked this part:

Less than four minutes after that came the perfect signature for this game: Walker was being called for a delayed penalty, then after the whistle, Kris Versteeg took another penalty, leaving the Hawks down two men. Henrik Zetterberg roofed a backhander from close to make it 5-1, Wings. Artistic, opportunistic, relentless.

And just to make sure everyone understood how completely the Hawks had collapsed, Versteeg committed a stupid penalty immediately after coming out of the penalty box from his previous stupid penalty.

Oh, I almost forgot: Havlat got knocked out of the game again on another hit along the boards.

More here