No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zetterling

Quenneville Fined $10,000

Rate this topic

Joel Quenneville fined $10,000 for ripping officials

by Ansar Khan

Monday May 25, 2009, 6:05 PM

The NHL on Monday fined Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville $10,000 for making public comments critical of the officiating in Sunday's game.

Quenneville called the roughing penalty on Matt Walker at the end of the first period "the worst call in the history of sports.''

"They ruined a good hockey game and absolutely destroyed what was going on, on the ice,'' Quenneville said after the game.

His postgame press conference would make for a funny beer commercial.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...ed_10000_f.html

hehehe

Edited by Zetterling

Guest Shoreline

Great call Q. Game 3 WAS reffed horrendous-- oh he meant Game 4? Oh s***, wonder why..

LOL. This is funny. Not only does he look ridiculos for making such an exaggerated (and crazy) statement, but now he is fined for making it. Adds insult to injury. Of course, how could he not make those comments and not expect to get fined.

I knew this was coming after he was so blatant about it. I don't agree with fining coaches or players for being critical of the refs. This is what Babcock is always referring to in his press conferences, how no one is allowed to say 'boo' about the refs. Quenneville could have at least made it a worthwhile call to ***** about. That was definitely not the "worst call in the history of sports" and definitely not worth $10,000.

Still, fining anyone for bitching about the officials is ridiculous and just goes to show how the NHL is becoming a fascist regime.

Edited by b.shanafan14

I thought it was funny when after game 3 that when Babs was asked about the call to eject Kronwall, he just smiled and said he can't say anything about it.....lol

While I usually dislike censorship and limiting free speech, I have to applaud this move. I can not believe how classless and whiny coaches have recently become, its an absolute embarrassment and all of a sudden its the go to excuse for whenever any team loses. When butthurt fans cry about conspiracy theories and such that's one thing, but when a highly paid professional does the same thing on national TV during a blowout lose wheres the refs didn't let him goon it up is beyond childish and I honestly wish harsher penalties would be instated such as suspension (hey, if Avery can get 5 games for what he said why not give coaches similar treatment.)

I love the way how Babcock implies in his comments that the reffing sux but he never uses words that he can get fined for. Even in this, Q has to learn from the master.

I thought Q and Babcock were friends? If so, does Q pay any attention to what his friend does and does not do?

While I usually dislike censorship and limiting free speech, I have to applaud this move. I can not believe how classless and whiny coaches have recently become, its an absolute embarrassment and all of a sudden its the go to excuse for whenever any team loses. When butthurt fans cry about conspiracy theories and such that's one thing, but when a highly paid professional does the same thing on national TV during a blowout lose wheres the refs didn't let him goon it up is beyond childish and I honestly wish harsher penalties would be instated such as suspension (hey, if Avery can get 5 games for what he said why not give coaches similar treatment.)

I dunno, this is kind of a slippery slope. I think someone somewhere should be able to criticize bad officials for bad officiating without getting fined. I guess it would be different if the officials had any accountability but they don't. I can understand getting heated over a bad call but, to characterize a stupid penalty taken by a team that was already unglued as the worst in the history of sports is extreme, if not comical. I agree that it was really childish of Quenville to pop off at the lip like that but at some point the league should really do something to iron out the kinks in it's officiating system. You can claim human error only so long. If your humans keep erring and suffer no consequences, what's their incentive to correct the problem? If they can fine coaches and suspend players maybe they can find something along those lines for officials too.

Still, fining anyone for bitching about the officials is ridiculous and just goes to show how the NHL is becoming a fascist regime.

The league is too incompetent to organize formally enough to become proto-fascist.

I kinda think Q had a point on the call. They called roughing on the hawks player where there were players from both teams chirpin and shovin around. That call was a little weak...what they SHOULD have called was Kane coming in late, standing there spearing Franzen in the back with his stick, but franzen more than made up for it by stealing is mouthpiece lol. Seriously though that was the weakest call of the game when you got people chopping sticks out of wings hands while the stick flies 10 feet into the air and damn near landing on a ref, no call.

You got Eager elbowing huds in the head for the whole 2nd half of the game after whistles and FINALLY they called and gave the 10 min misconduct....i mean they called a good game as far as not letting the hawks goon it up but they did still let things go. Calling this was the weakest thing to call considering what they were doing out there lol. I mean Queenville has a point bitching about how weak this is but not how he went about it, and really it doesn't matter anyways because the hawks were reaping what they sewed anyways.

I just find it funny that the NHL fines him for calling out the refs. Just shows that they back up their officials no matter what. I"m just glad babs has the composure to be more cryptic in his shots at the league.

Yeah, he's discrediting the company he works for basically. So that's not good. Talk about kicking him when he's down though. haha. He could have just filed a complaint or something. Announcing that to the fans discredits the NHL and US fans are really fickle.

I dunno, this is kind of a slippery slope. I think someone somewhere should be able to criticize bad officials for bad officiating without getting fined. I guess it would be different if the officials had any accountability but they don't. I can understand getting heated over a bad call but, to characterize a stupid penalty taken by a team that was already unglued as the worst in the history of sports is extreme, if not comical. I agree that it was really childish of Quenville to pop off at the lip like that but at some point the league should really do something to iron out the kinks in it's officiating system. You can claim human error only so long. If your humans keep erring and suffer no consequences, what's their incentive to correct the problem? If they can fine coaches and suspend players maybe they can find something along those lines for officials too.

And this is the problem. No real accountability. And they're obviously are not gonna get rid of O'Halloran or any of the other refs who have been huge problems in these series.

I sent so many emails to Campbell the last week or so he cut me off. And the last one was actually a thank you for the refs beginning to call the Hawks' after-the-whistle bulls***. Cry "robbery" too often, I guess... ^_^

LULZ. Can't imagine what he'll say if the Hawks don't win on Wednesday.

Our fans have not provided enough Juju for us this series. We probably have the WORST fans in all of sports and they really ruined this series for us.

I'm biased but I didn't think that was a bad call. I watched a highlight video earlier and Walker came in and jacked someone over the shoulder of his teammate - it was a solid and intentional cheapshot. Scrumming is one thing but throwing blindside cheapshots gets a penalty more often than not.

Even if you didn't like the call, I think the ref was trying to let the Hawks know that any more retaliation for the Kronwall hit will be called before things get out of hand. Any respect I had for Q (hometown guy) is out the window.