• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nightfall

NHL poster boys don't set a good example

Rate this topic

I got to thinking about the parade to the penalty box by the Pens today, as well as the game 6 aftermath in Anaheim. I will say that Crosby and Malkin are incredibly gifted and talented, but the NHL really is putting these guys up on a pedestal. You would think if the league were going to put their star players on a pedestal, they would be players like Mike Modano, Nick Lidstrom, or maybe even Jonathan Towes and Patrick Kane. Instead, they stand behind Crosby as the big star, which is ok....

However, is he setting a good example?

I watch Malkin take a bunch of goonish penalties tonight. Crosby follows with a slash or two. Other penguins players slashing at the foot of Dats or high sticking like Kunitz (I love Kunitz, but he gooned it up tonight). You don't see classy players taking slashes at other players or going headhunting when their team is down.

I know the NHL made its bed now it has to sleep in it. They won't back down from hyping Crosby and Malkin. I just think there are other star players in this league that should get more publicity.

I agree. I was thinking the same thing during the game. On national television, Crosby and Malkin, the two players the NHL has given their man love too, lost it and looked like babies! You would NEVER see Datsyuk or Zetterberg act like that!

I agree. I was thinking the same thing during the game. On national television, Crosby and Malkin, the two players the NHL has given their man love too, lost it and looked like babies! You would NEVER see Datsyuk or Zetterberg act like that!

I wasn't a hockey fan back in Yzerman's younger days, but I can't imagine he acted like this. I know the league was different and there weren't a lot of analysis done on the games back then. Still, I would not say that Crosby and Malkin are two ideal poster childs of the NHL. If the NHL is looking for role models, I wouldn't choose them. When kids are looking for sports stars to idolize, do you want your son or daughter idolizing a player who goes headhunting when his team is down? I certainly don't want that.

I know there are players like this on every team and some more aggressive than others. Why not choose to put players in the spotlight that are not only fierce competitors and scoring leaders, but also not goons when their team is down.

Good players: Mike Modano, Nick Lidstrom, Zets, Dats, Towes, Kane, Tim Thomas, Ovechkin maybe (I see a lot of his games and I don't see him goon it up when they are losing).

Bad players: Ed Belfour, Malkin, Crosby just to name a few.

How dare you say that about the best 2 players to ever play the game!! Im calling out the mods here to ban Barrie for comments detrimental to the integrity of the NHL... They werent acting like babies... That was passion and love for the game!!!

You would think if the league were going to put their star players on a pedestal, they would be players like Mike Modano, Nick Lidstrom, or maybe even Jonathan Towes and Patrick Kane. Instead, they stand behind Crosby as the big star, which is ok....

i said the same exact thing in a thread a while back. im glad someone else agrees theres more than 2 great players (crysby & malkin) in the league.

i think the causal fan only knows of them, and AO

I've always said, it's much harder to lose with class than it is to win with it. When you're down 5-0 on the road and you know that losing this game means they're one win from the Cup.....it can be hard to be civil. You're angry, you're frustrated, you want to take out that frustration on the nearest guy in a red sweater.

But the real champions suck it up and play their game, not let their emotions override their common sense. And common sense dictates you do not start slashing away at people or elbowing them or tripping them....it just looks like you're unfocused and undisciplined.

I got to thinking about the parade to the penalty box by the Pens today, as well as the game 6 aftermath in Anaheim. I will say that Crosby and Malkin are incredibly gifted and talented, but the NHL really is putting these guys up on a pedestal. You would think if the league were going to put their star players on a pedestal, they would be players like Mike Modano, Nick Lidstrom, or maybe even Jonathan Towes and Patrick Kane. Instead, they stand behind Crosby as the big star, which is ok....

However, is he setting a good example?

I watch Malkin take a bunch of goonish penalties tonight. Crosby follows with a slash or two. Other penguins players slashing at the foot of Dats or high sticking like Kunitz (I love Kunitz, but he gooned it up tonight). You don't see classy players taking slashes at other players or going headhunting when their team is down.

I know the NHL made its bed now it has to sleep in it. They won't back down from hyping Crosby and Malkin. I just think there are other star players in this league that should get more publicity.

Malkin was in the movie "The Goonies" i believe, he played Sloth.

He is a good player that is classless, bitchy, and he punches like a little girl.

I guess that's sort of Detroit's fault though for not training their players how to speak English more thoroughly. That's part of the reason Bettman doesn't want to jock Datsyuk all over the place. The guy's English is terrible. Detroit should hire someone to train the players how to speak English faster. Lidstrom is rock solid now, but even he was shaky for a while.

I see a lot of Crosby in Kane too. Seems like a whiny crybaby...His celebration after the goal he scored in game 5 irritated the crap out of me.

I've got no problem with Toews though.

Edited by Trapt1307

I guess that's sort of Detroit's fault though for not training their players how to speak English more thoroughly. That's part of the reason Bettman doesn't want to jock Datsyuk all over the place. The guy's English is terrible. Detroit should hire someone to train the players how to speak English faster. Lidstrom is rock solid now, but even he was shaky for a while.

Two words: Rafael Nadal.

Who cares that some of the Wings can't speak English that fast? Speed in your linguistic skills really isn't necessary, it's accuracy. I'd rather someone take 5 minutes to get their point across the way they want it done than have them take 30 seconds, and not say anything at all.

I realize that yes, you're down 5-0 and you might get a little frustrated. But you're supposed to be professional. That does not mean you take your frustrations out on the other team's players by hitting them in unprotected areas of the body, or hitting someone where you know they are nursing an injury. Who do you think you are - Chris Pronger????

Haha. They don't take curb stompings too kindly. I heard Fluery tried to commit suicide after the game and jumped in front of I-75. Hes okay though because all the cars went between his legs.

Malkins elbow was an example of his passion, grit and determination... Crosbys slashes are brought on from his hard work, leadership and overall love of the game..

That is the official spin. Puke.

id take Kane off the list of players to idolize i heard somewhere that he said something about "i don't get paid to block shots"

guys like modano yzerman lids sakic are players you idolize hell id even say getzlaf (he seems to be maturing) over guys like sid and geno

Edited by pockets

I see a lot of Crosby in Kane too. Seems like a whiny crybaby...His celebration after the goal he scored in game 5 irritated the crap out of me.

I've got no problem with Toews though.

If complaining to the refs is considered "crying" then every damn player does that. At least Kane doesn't go out slashing players when his team is down by 3 or 4 goals. Thats the difference.

id take Kane off the list of players to idolize i heard somewhere that he said something about "i don't get paid to block shots"

guys like modano yzerman lids sakic are players you idolize hell id even say getzlaf (he seems to be maturing) over guys like sid and geno

Excellent list. I forgot Sakic.