• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisdetroit

Malkn for Conn Smythe

Rate this topic

Yeah as long as the wings win the cup, it's not even a big deal for me. Malkin has certainly made a case for himself. If he have two good games and detroit still wins I can see him winning it.

Guest Lidstromboli

There should be an award for top ass scorer. Surely Fleury would be the top contender?

Edited by Lidstromboli

No clear cut MVP this postseason. The player that meant the most to his team? Jonas Hiller. The player that is on an historic scoring tear for all 4 rounds? Malkin. The player who means the most to the Wings (should they win the cup) over all 4 rounds? Hard to say. Probably Osgood. The player that is getting the most love in the media? Zetterberg. The player who has the best pervert stache? MAF or Crysob.

Guest Shoreline

Malkin deserves a slash to the nads before he deserves the Conn Smythe.

Ozzie, Franzen, Zetterberg, or Cleary.

So does the Conn Smythe now just go to the guy who doesn't get stuck being covered by Zetterberg? Malkin's only noticeable in this series because Crosby's been invisible, thanks to the aformentioned Conn Smythe winner from last year. :D

esteef

Cleary.

It's funny, one of my friends is a huge, huge Cleary fan. (That's not the funny part.) She's amassed a list of stories related to Cleary on her facebook wall...

Wings' Cleary sends Ducks packing...

Dan Cleary continues scoring streak for Wings...

Ex-’Hawk Cleary lifts Wings in Western finals opener...

Bust to glory: Cleary goes long way around to stardom...

2009 Stanley Cup Final: Detroit vs. Pittsburgh: Cleary's pain helps Red...

How clutch has this guy been for the Wings?

While I don't think the Conn Smythe will go to Malkin if the Pens lose, certainly he'll likely be the winner IF the Pens somehow come back.

I don't think anyone else on the Pens will rate the trophy barring some unforseen circumstances and I don't think Ozzie or Z would win it in a losing cause.

That said, after game 5, if the Wings win it, Ozzie gets the Conn Smythe.

If the Wings win tomorrow, Malkin is still below Osgood, Zetterberg and Cleary in my book and about even with Lidstrom.

And yet he's a -1 and has 27 penalty minutes in the finals also. You need to look at the whole picture.

There are only two players on the entire Penguins team who have a positive +/- against the Wings in the Finals (their strongest +/- is Fedetenko's +2, and he has only generated 1 point against the Wings). Malkin is the only one consistently putting up points against Detroit, and four of those seven points have come on the power play, thus exploiting the Wings' weak PK.

I don't think Malkin is in the front running for Conn Smythe (at least when considering some Red Wings), but to say that he has been playing below average against the Wings is kind of loony. He's the only reason the Wings haven't swept the Pens.

Look at it this way: where would the Pens be right now without Malkin? Probably dead in the water.

Where would the Wings be without Hank? Ozzie? Nick? Mule? Probably still competitive, probably still winning.

I have an intense dislike for Evgeni Malkin. He's immature. He's all offense and absolutely no defense. He's ugly. But he means a s***-ton to this Penguins team, and I actually find that kind of impressive, considering his disappearing act in last year's SCF.

Without Hank the Wings are done in 4. Theres ONE reason why Malkin is dominating over Crosby, and thats because Crosby has drawn Hank, and Malkin hasn't. If Zetterberg weren't on the ice, do you think Filppula, Franzen, Cleary, Hossa, etc, would shut down Crosby? Considering they haven't been able to do even close to the same job Hank has done with Crosby, its safe to say spreading ourselves even thinner would let both Crosby and Malkin run loose.

What I find really interesting is how Crosby and Malkin were viewed as being next-and-neck in Conn Smythe contention coming into this series. And now Crosby has no chance in hell.

I still give Ozzie the edge over Z, but it really is amazing how thoroughly he's nullified Crosby.

But by the same token, without Malkin...the Pens probably don't even make the postseason. And they certainly don't advance. He's been an absolute monster for them.

If the Pens don't have Malkin, then they have a different team entirely. The prospect of having 2 9M dollar forwards on the payroll for next year would affect any teams game philosophy and their roster.

And I find it ironic that folks are so caught up on Malkin's points. He has 7. Zetterberg has 6. And Zetterberg is shutting down a top 5 forward. Malkin isnt even close. The disparity of 1 point in favor of Malkin isn't anywhere comparable to the disparity between Zetterberg's defensive performance and Malkin's.

Look at it this way: where would the Pens be right now without Malkin? Probably dead in the water.

Where would the Wings be without Hank? Ozzie? Nick? Mule? Probably still competitive, probably still winning.

I have an intense dislike for Evgeni Malkin. He's immature. He's all offense and absolutely no defense. He's ugly. But he means a s***-ton to this Penguins team, and I actually find that kind of impressive, considering his disappearing act in last year's SCF.

sorry I don't think the Wings would still be in the playoffs if it wasn't for Ozzie .. he pulled them through some very rough first periods in all of the series when they could have easily been blown outta the water with no chance of any come back. He single handedly kept them in some games early in numerous games until the Wings got their legs under them and started playing like they could/should.

and the same could be said for Z .. he has kept scoring while tying up Sid (who by the way has ONLY 1 goal and 1 assist) in the series ...

Malkin is just a one way player, and how many of his points have come at even strength? seems they can only score on the PP and he doesn't even play on the PK Z does it all.

Edited by MsRedWingFan

That's just silly.

Really? Is it? I wonder why it is that Malkin and Crosby were on the EXACT SAME SCORING PACE for most of the playoffs, and entering this series, Malkin - whos not been covered by Zetterberg - has continued on that pace while Crosby - who has been covered by Zetterberg - hasn't.

Eliminate Zetterberg and the evidence suggests that BOTH Malkin and Crosby continue on at their same scoring pace.

If the Pens don't have Malkin, then they have a different team entirely.

You're overcomplicating things.

The Penguins need, need, need Malkin more than the Wings need, need, need Hank, or Ozzie, or Nick, or Mule, etc.

I don't think he's been the standout star of the series across these five games. But he's continued to be what he's been for the Pens all season long: completely essential.

Really? Is it? I wonder why it is that Malkin and Crosby were on the EXACT SAME SCORING PACE for most of the playoffs, and entering this series, Malkin - whos not been covered by Zetterberg - has continued on that pace while Crosby - who has been covered by Zetterberg - hasn't.

Eliminate Zetterberg and the evidence suggests that BOTH Malkin and Crosby continue on at their same scoring pace.

I'm well aware of the impact Hank has had on the complexion of this matchup.

But you're saying that if Hank goes down, the Pens sweep the Wings. And I just find that idea thoroughly laughable.

I dunno, call me crazy.

Since the award was first given in 1965, five players on the losing team in the SCF have won the award:

2003 Jean-Sebastien Giguere* Mighty Ducks of Anaheim

1987 Ron Hextall* Philadelphia Flyers

1976 Reg Leach* Philadelphia Flyers

1968 Glenn Hall* St. Louis Blues

1966 Roger Crozier* Detroit Red Wings

All goaltenders except Reg Leach, who only happened to score 19 goals in the playoffs which is still a record I think. Looks like it almost has to be a goaltender who stands on his head for the losing team to win the Conn Smythe, so it doesn't bode well for Malkin or Crosby cause unfortunately they will be playing for the LOSING TEAM!!!!.......Go Wings!!!

But you're saying that if Hank goes down, the Pens sweep the Wings. And I just find that idea thoroughly laughable.

I dunno, call me crazy.

Yes, thats what I am saying. Lets not sit around here and act like we've dominated the Pens through the 1st 4 games like we did through the 5th, which was abated by the presence of Datsyuk.

Throughout the 1st 4 games, Malkin caused plenty of havoc. Crosby didn't because of Zetterberg. Take out Zetterberg, and you're looking at not only using our lesser defensive forwards against Crosby AND Malkin, but you're going to be using those forwards more often, given Zetterberg's minutes throughout the first two games, all the while further depleting offense.

The implications of taking Zetterberg out of the lineup is not only huge, but it provides for a particular situation. This isn't a good defensive forward against a good offensive forward. This is a Selke calibre forward with great offense against the best of the best, in terms of scoring forwards.

I simply don't think enough can be said about Zetterberg's performance against Crosby. Holding Crosby to 0 points, and a -3 when Detroit has had last change is ridiculously impressive.

I dunno, call me crazy.

It's not laughable at all. No Hank does not mean Datsyuk is back (not saying you implied this, but still). No Hank and no Dats means we would be relying on Hudler, Cleary, and Sammy to be a productive second line on both ends of the ice. Also we would have a 4th line full of kids who wouldn't see much ice, meaning more ice-time and more fatigue for our top two lines. A sweep would certainly be a decent possibilty without our two best forwards.

I don't think losing players should win this award, but then again MVP of the playoffs doesn't by itself suggest that that team should have won the Cup.

Sadly, I'd be surprised at this point if Malkin doesn't win it. He's been the best player of the playoffs, but hopefully the writers will give it to the team that wins the Cup, in which case it would go to Ozzie.