• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Fingercots

Bettman on Sirius/XM

Rate this topic

I was just listening to an NHL talk show on sirius and it was Bill Clement and Gary Bettman talking about the playoffs and taking calls at the end.

A couple of people danced around the issue of the apparent bias of the refs in this series and Gary just said that it was typical for fans to hate every call against their team. The final caller of the show threw out all sorts of statistics proving that the Pens have been getting preferential treatment throughout the playoffs and just as the caller finished with the stats, the music started playing and Gary said, "I'm sorry to cut you off but we're really out of time."

It was hilarious and sad at the same time. Did anyone else hear this?

I don't remember all the stats but I think the guy said that the Pens have had 20+ PPs more than their opponents so far in the playoffs and that the Pens have had the first PP of the game 74% of the time this postseason.

The Red Wings have like 7 more PP's than the Pens do

It's more like ~5 or so, but that was because of the meltdown your Pens had in the 2nd period of game 5.

And I believe most of the penalties that the caller was talking about was in earlier rounds of the playoffs.

Nevermind that the Pens are averaging ~2 less PIM per game in the postseason versus the regular season.

Calgary (who had a much lower sample size to take from, so one more major would have heavily influenced their post-season's numbers) was the only other team whose PIM/G average went DOWN from the regular season to the postseason by more than 1.5 minutes per game.

Your opponent getting on average one less power play per game is kinda a big deal.

I'm of course not looking at a conspiracy here, just stating facts. The Pens must be an extremely disciplined team to not take so many penalties (especially with game 5 in there).

The Red Wings have like 7 more PP's than the Pens do

Sans game 5 after Pittsburgh's meltdown when the game was already settled and an even more meaningless pair of penalties for a few seconds of 5-on-3 at the end of another game and Pens actually have a couple more PPs this series I believe. Not too mention almost all of the penalties early on, though you could argue the Pens play their best at the beginning while the Wings typically struggle out of the gate.

However, none of this really matters. Save for the rescinded Malkin instigator which is a retarded punishment to begin with so no one should be complaining about it, nothing the refs have done has overtly effected a game in this series to the point of changing a win into a lose for either team. People need to focus on the greatness of this series and not pick at each and every flaw. Its really proving to be a disservice to the single most exciting sporting event imaginable, a game seven Stanley Cup Finals.

So you guys really think the Wings are getting screwed by officials?

When you win your team is the best and when you lose its the refs fault. Don't you know sports fan logic?

So you guys really think the Wings are getting screwed by officials?

No, not really. I think it's gone both ways.

I don't really think anyone can say that the officiating has been great or consistent in the finals.

No.

But Cleary should have received a penalty shot.

How do you figure? He got slashed on the shoulder, yes....but he got the shot off and the slash didn't effect his progress.

The best way to beat the refs is scoring...your not gonna win if you cant score until the middle of the third..

How do you figure? He got slashed on the shoulder, yes....but he got the shot off and the slash didn't effect his progress.

The best way to beat the refs is scoring...your not gonna win if you cant score until the middle of the third..

Thats just the point. In the 1st period maybe that slash is let go....in the 3rd, its called....no consistency for either team. Either call it or don't...no matter the period, the player, or the team.

No, not really. I think it's gone both ways.

I don't really think anyone can say that the officiating has been great or consistent in the finals.

My beef isn't with the officiating being great, I don't envy thier jobs at all and they rarely get it right (even during the regular season). My problem is with the consistency, especially same-game consistency. The Ericsson interference penalty really had me going (I agree that it was a penalty, though) because it DID change the outcome of the game and the Pens defense had been holding up Wings on the dump and chase ALL GAME LONG.

I saw much of the same in Game 6 and the Wings seemed hesitant to step up at the blue line and return some of the same. I can handle a little inconsistency between different games, but the calls should be made the same way for both teams during the same game.

I saw much of the same in Game 6 and the Wings seemed hesitant to step up at the blue line and return some of the same.

Agreed.

From Kronwalls ejection to Ericssons penalty and afterwards, the inconsistencies have made the Wings affraid to lay the body and catch a call.

I think it sucks that the Wings have been penalized first for all but one game this series. Sure they were lazy in game 4 and other times but the team that gets the PP first is most likely going to have momentum. Trying to even up penalties halfway through the third is a little late to get anything going. Yeah they should have played better in the second but regardless there could have been penalties that were not called.

It also has to be pretty hard to play due to frustration when the other team isn't getting called for squat when you've been penalized twice for weak calls as happened in the last game. I don't think there is a conspiracy against the Wings but I do think refs try to keep it close or even a series, unless there are blatant calls with people being idiots like in game 5. Could it cost a team a series? I think so, if it's down to one game any goal could get waived or other fluky bs happen.

i just find it really hard to believe that a team like the pens,

did not take a penalty in 2 + periods in that last game...

Im sorry...It doesnt happen in this NHL...(no tolerance?)

something else I noticed that I wonder if anyone else saw,

was Kunitz and his Superman impressions when he went to deliver a hit on a Wing,

Leaving your feet is against the rules isnt it? He did it like 3 times that I saw.

so Is everything getting called ?? I dont think so.....

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

Hey guys, I wasn't really trying to say that the Pens have definitely been getting special treatment in these playoffs (though it might seem that way), I posted this because it was funny the way this caller threw a bunch of stats in Bettman's face and once the calller stopped talking, the show was out of time... sorry.

I also liked when another caller said that it was funny that Malkin didn't get suspended after the instigator penalty at the end of game 2. Bettman said that the suspension can be reviewed and repealed and that what Malkin did wasn't really what the instigator penalty was all about. Bettman said that the instigator rule was more about people trying to send messages at the end of the game. The funny part about that was when, in another portion of the same show, Pierre McGuire said he liked the fact that Malkin challenged Zetterberg at the end of game 2 to send a message to the teams that he's willing to do what it takes to win.

Bettman said that the instigator rule was more about people trying to send messages at the end of the game. The funny part about that was when, in another portion of the same show, Pierre McGuire said he liked the fact that Malkin challenged Zetterberg at the end of game 2 to send a message to the teams that he's willing to do what it takes to win.

Now that's good stuff. Not to divert this, I don't get how you can even make a judgment as to what's "sending a message" and what isn't. Because Malkin's a star player and not Riley Cote, he's not capable of sending a message? Aren't all physical confrontations meant to sent a message of some kind? The whole thing's pretty stupid, and I'd be fine with it if they killed that rule this offseason.

Also, I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I respect Bettman for having a show where he faces questions like that, even if you don't agree with it. He doesn't HAVE to do that, and he generally does take on the tough questions. I swear he gets a "why aren't we on ESPN" every week.

Also, I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I respect Bettman for having a show where he faces questions like that, even if you don't agree with it. He doesn't HAVE to do that, and he generally does take on the tough questions. I swear he gets a "why aren't we on ESPN" every week.

Bettman doesn't "face" any question. He has pre-planned answers and never admits mistakes. The OP of this thread even showed it by pointing out that when a caller had facts, the show was "out of time". If he doesn't want questions, he should not be the commissioner of a major sports league.

Guest Shoreline

You have to be kidding me.

- Person makes assertion that Penguins are getting preferential treatment by biased refs

- Turns out Red Wings have more power plays in this series

- Few Wings fans suggest to throw out a certain game (in this case, Game 5, as if it's not part of the series now)

- Suddenly we can start manipulating statistics to mean whatever the f*** we want it to

And people wonder why I've come to despise "stats" being thrown around in debates.

Edited by Shoreline