• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FunkedUp

Future of The Joe uncertain...

Rate this topic

Can you imagine the traffic problems if a new arena is built near Comerica? Tigers playing the same time the Wings are...........

During the regular season, there was one day that the Tigers and Wings played on the same day. During the playoffs, there were three days the Tigers and Wings played on the same day. I know people have raised this before, but I think it's an overblown concern.

The Joe is a dump, its in a bad location and Cobo needs to expand. Bring on the new arena.

Don't do it!

I love our boards!

*sproing*

i read that the current boards at the JLA were transported directly from the old Olympia stadium... i don't think you'd need to worry about that =)

Guest E_S_A_D

I hope they stay at the Joe. I'm in a minority here, but it's the closest thing in 2009 to the old Barns. I hate these Arena's that look like Disney World... that's not hockey.

Also, in a depression for the State of Michigan, isn't $475,000 a year the best bargain in ALL OF SPORTS?

I don't think traffic would be much more than a small inconvenience. All three sports venues are already in downtown anyways, so moving the Joe 4000ft. north is not going to make a difference in the amount of traffic on the freeways. There will be more traffic in the immediate area surrounding the stadiums but it would be easily avoidable by simply parking away from the area. Parking in Greektown or the RenCen is away from the traffic but still only a short walk or People Mover ride from the stadiums. Plus, the new arena would be much easier to walk to because it wouldn't be surrounded by freeways and Cobo Hall like the Joe. Also, a future light rail system would provide a quick and easy way out of downtown. For example, if you live in a northern suburb (Ferndale, Royal Oak, Birmingham, Pontiac, etc.) you could park at the nearest station (probably a station at every mile road) and take the Woodward Light Rail Line quickly and easily into downtown and you wouldn't have to worry about traffic or have to pay $10-20 for downtown parking.

i read that the current boards at the JLA were transported directly from the old Olympia stadium... i don't think you'd need to worry about that =)

I don't know if that is true or not. Maybe they had extra boards at Olympia, but before they tore it down, I, and many other people, went in and took just about everything. The boards were the first to go. A friend of mine got one of the center ice sections.

I think they know quite well what they're doing. What they're doing just doesn't have anything to do with the well-being of Detroit.

Perhaps I'm just jaded. From what I've seen some of the people there are incredibly incompetent.

When I look at a topic like this, I simply have to approach it from an accessibility standpoint for wheelchair users, being one myself. I understand the history that The Joe carries, its boards, the atmosphere, and all that. Still, for me, in front of all those good things, no matter how good they may be, accessibility is my number one issue. I have been to The Joe a handful of times for hockey games since 1999. The restroom facilities for anyone in a wheelchair (especially the bigger, motorized wheelchairs) are a joke, having little space, and urine/water on the floor that goes onto my wheels. The seating arrangement availability is not much better in my estimation, as wheelchair users are only able to sit at one end of the rink or the other. There is no place where a person in a wheelchair can see the entire ice surface without any problems. Now, if I had it my way, I would make sure that a new arena would be built in a similar fashion to Nationwide Arena. That place is awesome!!!! I can see the entire ice surface and watch the game as intensely as I do on my television. I don't care what type of deal Mr. I. gets, he has enough money to do the right thing. I cannot see them extending lease for that building for so many years. If they do eventually build a new arena, I can only hope that they would be able to give it a nice name. I know that in today's world, being driven by money and big business, that is an impossibility. Still, The Production Line Arena sounds nice to me.

got to fix the corruption first in the city of Detroit.

Chicago and NYC have way more corruption and seem to get things done for the right of the city.

The problem isnt directly downtown. Its not around Comerica Park, thats where Detroit is actually kind of nice (besides the homeless people) but the surrounding areas are horrible and a lot of the inhabitants of those surrounding areas dont want to do anything to fix the city. I read that around 30% of people said they would still elect Kwame even after his whole scandal. They had something like an 11% turnout to the mayor primary before the election. They really just do not care. I am all for building a new arena but I would rather have it around The Palace of Auburn Hills rather than downtown. I am probably the only person who thinks that though lol

Edited by skyphoenix

$475K IS a helluva bargain.

However, the Joe is VERY outdated by today's standards. I actually missed almost 1/2 of the 2nd period of the game I was at standing in line to pee in a trough.

Time has not been kind to the JLA. Imagine how bad it will be in 20 more years.

Build a new home and bulldoze the Joe.

They could certainly get a deal on the construction costs of a new arena right about now.

Good point. Labor and material costs will be lower now than in good economic times. Plus, I'm sure some kind of tax breaks could be worked out with the city and state, again, due to the recession.

I like the Joe, and have fond memories of games there....but it is not an Olympia in terms of history. It needs major updates...and thinking of the actual structure of the building, I'm not sure much can be done other than slapping in some new seats, bringing the bathrooms out of the dark ages, and putting more lights in the concourse so it doesn't look like a dungeon anymore. That doesn't solve a ton of other problems. A new arena (a new Olympia?) should be built.

Its time for a new Arena. I know it should be state of the art on the inside. but the bottom line

It should look like this on the outside. :thumbup:

Olympia_Stadium_-_1963.jpg

I have a question. Few people here say Joe is too old. Its seats are uncomfortable or etc.. isn't the Rangers still using MSG which has been in NY for around 70 or 80 years?

MSG has been moved around, restructured, and in 1991 underwent a $200 million remodeling. The name has stayed the same. Thats about it.

I have a question. Few people here say Joe is too old. Its seats are uncomfortable or etc.. isn't the Rangers still using MSG which has been in NY for around 70 or 80 years?

It opened in 1968. Why the Knicks and Rangers both still play there as opposed to getting new arenas, I'm not really sure. I'm not very familiar with their situation.

I don't see there being a problem if the Wings and Tigers were playing at the same time. You'd have 20,000 or so for a hockey game and what? 40,000 or so for the baseball game. Combined, that's still not what Ford Field can hold.

They've had Lions and Tigers games at the same time before, haven't they?

It opened in 1968. Why the Knicks and Rangers both still play there as opposed to getting new arenas, I'm not really sure. I'm not very familiar with their situation.

I think it's called MSG3, they keep renovating it or something? Idk, too lazy to look it up right now :P