• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Manny>Ozzie(by a long shot)

Wings Trade thier first round pick to Tampa

Rate this topic

BOOOOOOOOOOO! Why would we trade our 1st rounder. Ashton Carter is 6' 3" 205 lbs good ol'e Canadian boy that looks like a perfect fit. Why? I don't get it? Makes me sad!

"Looks" is key. I'm betting Holland and Co. know something.

"Looks" is key. I'm betting Holland and Co. know something.

You hit the nail on the head. And it's not just Holland and Co. that saw something was amiss. Carter fell about 10 spots based on non-insider predictions. That very, very rarely happens to future studs (unless they're Russian and people are scared of the KHL stealing them once the NHL team's put the development time in). Odds are Carter fell for a reason.

I was sitting in my chair saying "Carter! Carter!" and got bummed when the Wings traded down. But that's the point isn't it, that's the difference between me in a chair and the guys sitting at the Wings draft table. I know s*** all.

Like this guy could be another Milan Lucic?

The list of big Canadian future power forwards who failed to make something of themselves is a mile deep man.

Does anyone here honestly think the Wings don't want size? Don't want a Lucic type of player? f*** no they do. They want that type of player bad. But they draft too low to get realistic shots at that type of player.

So they draft the best available player and hope he gets big while maintaining NHL skill. A farm system full of skilled kids who haven't finished puberty is more likely to generate some big skilled adults than one stocked with big kids trying to learn to play at the NHL skill level.

Think of it this way: do you want a smart kid or a physically gifted kid?

You can get bigger and stronger, you can't get smarter or significantly more skilled.

The Wings didn't have issues with the other guys, nor are they thinking some one specific guy will be left. They have several players that they like which they seem indifferent between.

"We have about five more names on our list still," said Detroit vice president and assistant general manager Jim Nill. "So we add a third-round pick. We knew we'd get a guy we wanted (at 32)."

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/06/re...ne_in_firs.html

Edited by Zetts

Or give me Zetterberg- he's not big but he's a franchise player.

I was having a discussion with someone about that the other day. Is Zetterberg a franchise player? I say without a doubt. He came over here with a lot of hype and lived up to it. Runner up for Rookie of the Year just like Yzerman and Lidstrom. In terms of determination, he's the go-to guy. He's not "franchise" in the same regard as whiny face or Toews but he's still that type of player you can build around.

The Wings didn't have issues with the other guys, nor are they thinking some one specific guy will be left. They have several players that they like which they seem indifferent between.

"We have about five more names on our list still," said Detroit vice president and assistant general manager Jim Nill. "So we add a third-round pick. We knew we'd get a guy we wanted (at 32)."

I would love to see this list...

Carter Ashton would have been nice, but we'll get two goodies now, instead of just one. :D

Edited by Snazzy

That does say they wanted the guys on their list more than the guys who dropped down into their laps, though, which is what we've been speculating all along. :D

I was having a discussion with someone about that the other day. Is Zetterberg a franchise player? I say without a doubt. He came over here with a lot of hype and lived up to it. Runner up for Rookie of the Year just like Yzerman and Lidstrom. In terms of determination, he's the go-to guy. He's not "franchise" in the same regard as whiny face or Toews but he's still that type of player you can build around.

He's definitely a franchise player. Think of who you could trade him for in the NHL. Virtually anyone near his age. The only people off that list are much younger than him and also franchise players.

That does say they wanted the guys on their list more than the guys who dropped down into their laps, though, which is what we've been speculating all along. :D

...not really. The guys that dropped down could have been on their list. But moving down from 29 to 32 is only 3 spots. They said there's 5 guys. Therefore moving down only 3 spots they're still guaranteed to get one of the guys that they wanted.

Edited by Zetts

...not really. The guys that dropped down could have been on their list. But moving down from 29 to 32 is only 3 spots. They said there's 5 guys. Therefore moving down only 3 spots they're still guaranteed to get one of the guys that they wanted.

The Wings knew Tampa was going to take Carter. They're not idiots. They wouldn't trade the pick otherwise.

He's definitely a franchise player. Think of who you could trade him for in the NHL. Virtually anyone near his age. The only people off that list are much younger than him and also franchise players.

not to say I'd want this, but you bring a good point. We really probably could get iggy for Z straight up

Looks like size and fighting aren't as important as skill and defense. I trust the Wings, and sure they will be adding a few fighters in the draft

Datsyuk was small as was Zata. Hudler is the only one that didn't grow or put on weight haha. Red Wings are notorious for drafting smallish guys because we develop them and that's the way we'll keep doing it. I know you guys want big gritty Canadiens, but that's not how Detroit works.

Toni Rajala? f*** no! We don't need a 5'8" 160ib forward. I know he has offensive talent but he's not defensively sound and he'll get murdered in the NHL.

5'11''. Actually has played PK in U21WC and is very good back checker.

Who cares!?

I do for one! I believe the best product I have seen for over all experience was the 96 - 98 Wings when we could score, and pass and play all the patty cake we would like but we could also hit and fight and win the battles in the corner by playing good old fashioned mucking hockey, something our gallons of swede's will not likely provide. I want to see more North American players in the mix with our Euro's to get the best of both worlds. I'm sick of watching 3 million dallar Filpula get tossed around like a little girl, or Invisible Jiri Hudler pull a whodini act, or delicate little sammy swing his purse around and flapping his gums... I want to see more of Justin Abdelkader using his big body and crashing people and scoring from the muck zones or Darren Helms looking like he is 6'5" and 300 lbs knocking makling player pay for going to the boards.

I do for one! I believe the best product I have seen for over all experience was the 96 - 98 Wings when we could score, and pass and play all the patty cake we would like but we could also hit and fight and win the battles in the corner by playing good old fashioned mucking hockey, something our gallons of swede's will not likely provide. I want to see more North American players in the mix with our Euro's to get the best of both worlds. I'm sick of watching 3 million dallar Filpula get tossed around like a little girl, or Invisible Jiri Hudler pull a whodini act, or delicate little sammy swing his purse around and flapping his gums... I want to see more of Justin Abdelkader using his big body and crashing people and scoring from the muck zones or Darren Helms looking like he is 6'5" and 300 lbs knocking makling player pay for going to the boards.

If you don't like winning Stanley Cups you can always change the team.

If you don't like winning Stanley Cups you can always change the team.

Please re-read all of my posts, I'm not asking to rid the team of all european players I am just asking for a better mix trhat will only improve on the product that did not win the Stanley Cup this year. Adding some more North American players to better mix in with our Euro-core.

I agree wholeheartedly :thumbup:

I want to see more of Justin Abdelkader using his big body and crashing people and scoring from the muck zones or Darren Helms looking like he is 6'5" and 300 lbs knocking makling player pay for going to the boards.

Yes please. I'd gladly take two more Darren Helms.