• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HudlerFanatic

Don't expect the Wings to make move today

Rate this topic

Haha.. Seriously? I mean I would not argue that the Wings are in "deep" trouble, I actually think they will be OK, but if you can look at our roster today, compared to yesterday and say we are in "great" shape - well, something is wrong with you. Holland is doing absolutely no chess playing what so ever - he can't, he has nothing. No assets, no money, nothing...

Holland is probably wondering why he resigned Maltby and Draper another round of multi year contracts their last go around. Other then that today sucks in regards to having a better, or even equal team in regards to skill.

You must be one of them "big name" bandwagon posters on here -- if they don't have a big name, they are s***, right?

C'mon dude, pull your head out of your ass and get for real. Wings are in great shape. They just need to fill a couple of holes. No biggie.

Haha.. Seriously? I mean I would not argue that the Wings are in "deep" trouble, I actually think they will be OK, but if you can look at our roster today, compared to yesterday and say we are in "great" shape - well, something is wrong with you. Holland is doing absolutely no chess playing what so ever - he can't, he has nothing. No assets, no money, nothing...

Holland is probably wondering why he resigned Maltby and Draper another round of multi year contracts their last go around. Other then that today sucks in regards to having a better, or even equal team in regards to skill.

I actually think it's quite fair to look at the team today and say they are in great shape. July 1st does not build Cup winners. There are ways to get better without adding All Stars. Ericsson will be up all year and be better. Helm will be up all year and make the team faster/grittier. Flip will hopefully improve. Leino can try to prove himself. Cleary can have a better season (in the style of his playoffs).

I think most Wings seem to be either on the upward arc of their careers, or are at a good plateau (Dats probably won't get much better or worse for a couple seasons). Only a handful look to be on the decline, most notably Lidstrom, who might go from best in the league to simply a solid #1 defenseman.

This team is still good. There are a couple holes to fill but I'd bet there are about 27 other fan bases in the NHL that envy our position.

If there really expecting all these old, tired players to step it up, there nuts. No new blood, no new desire. These guys have gone deep in the playoffs in back to back years, and were very banged up last season. Not liking the sounds of this, but again, still lots of time to go...

With the Olympics and lack of fresh faces I'm hoping the Wings Brass utilizes some lengthy LTIR time a few of the veterans...

"Sign a grinding forward"

All the grinding forwards have already been signed! :ranting:

see, what people need to realize is the word "grinding" has a different meaning for ken holland than it does for us.

in his mind, grinding means anybody who will pursue the puck into traffic, perhaps even making body contact along the boards if needed. kopecky was a "grinding forward" in his mind.

to me a grinder is somebody who grinds down the opposition by relentlessly attacking them physically, like helm during the playoffs.

Are you serious? A rebuilding year? You can't be serious. If you are, thats pathetic. Talk about spoiled.

No, wasn't serious. Forgot the "/sarcasm" part. The *gag* part was meant for similar effect.

"The Red Wings don't rebuild. They reload."

- Homer

And yes, we are spoiled.

Last season we won the Cup and then landed THE free agent of the summer. No way this year cannot be seen as a disappointment.

I always felt with or without Hossa, Wings were in a win-win situation. So get Hudler signed and offer a 1 yr deal to Sammy. It's still the same team that won in 2008 minus Drake.

Yes, Chicago looks better, but they did nothing to help their weak defense. Also, they lost the goalie that got them to the WCF.

Chi may challenge us a bit more for the Central, but in the end, Detroit wins the division and has a more successful post-season than Chi. Then the Chi brain trusts can start worrying about who and how they are going to pay all the RFA's due a significant raise over the next 2 years.

Meanwhile, Wings free up $10M to re-sign Lidstrom and go after additional tools to fill out a successful team.

Go Wings!

Note: This quote was lifted off a since deleted thread, but has some bearing on this thread.

Losing Pahlsson, Walker, Havlat and Khabibulin > Gaining Kopecky and Hossa.

And with Huet in goal, whom has seemed unstable the last few years, they should be a lot weaker defensively than last year.

I was going to make a thread similar to this one this evening, but the OP beat me to it.

I know it sucks for our team to sit idle while other teams add new players and more excitement for the off-season and training camp, but how exactly has Kenny Holland effed up over the last 12 years?

We can all sit here and second guess every move he makes, but in the end we should trust him and Mr. Ilitch to steer the team in the right direction.

I like to ***** as much as the next fan (no more Kopecky and Sammy[mebbe]! What will we do?), and I would've REALLY liked to have someone new and exciting coming after losing the 2.1 players we did lose.

Ilitch, Holland, Stevie Y., Lidstrom and Z are not going to eff this team, and us, the fans, over.

HAVE SOME FAITH.

Guest micah
Note: This quote was lifted off a since deleted thread, but has some bearing on this thread.

Losing Pahlsson, Walker, Havlat and Khabibulin > Gaining Kopecky and Hossa.

And with Huet in goal, whom has seemed unstable the last few years, they should be a lot weaker defensively than last year.

I was going to make a thread similar to this one this evening, but the OP beat me to it.

I know it sucks for our team to sit idle while other teams add new players and more excitement for the off-season and training camp, but how exactly has Kenny Holland effed up over the last 12 years?

We can all sit here and second guess every move he makes, but in the end we should trust him and Mr. Ilitch to steer the team in the right direction.

I like to ***** as much as the next fan (no more Kopecky and Sammy[mebbe]! What will we do?), and I would've REALLY liked to have someone new and exciting coming after losing the 2.1 players we did lose.

Ilitch, Holland, Stevie Y., Lidstrom and Z are not going to eff this team, and us, the fans, over.

HAVE SOME FAITH.

I have faith that the Wings will not make it to the Cup Finals again next year. If you have faith otherwise, maybe you'd like to put $ on it?

And yes, we are spoiled.

Last season we won the Cup and then landed THE free agent of the summer. No way this year cannot be seen as a disappointment.

I don't understand why people are so down on our roster. If you compare it to the 2008 season where we did win the cup:

-Hasek is gone - who cares?

-Dallas Drake is gone - Good strong grinder but not irreplacable

-Kopetsky is gone - I think he spent the better part of the last 2 post-seasons injured...

-Downey/McCarty - Love McCarty but I think his career is done, Downey I'll admit I'll miss

-Chelios - it was time

-Samuelson - Not gone yet...we'll see in the next couple days

Am I missing anyone?

Now, our additions:

-Ericsson - swap him in for Chelios..a plus

-Helm - Drake isn't even comparable..a plus

-Abdelkader (I know I spelled it wrong...lay off) - Not sure if he gets the call up but big offensive addition

-Leino (if we resign him) - He's gonna be awesome in the very near future

Yeah we lost Hossa but the team did fine without him the previous year and he never really delivered in the playoffs. We (myself included) are a bit spoiled but the reality is we've got a freakin' strong roster.

Every year people think that if big changes aren't made to the roster it's a bad thing. I totally disagree!

I don't understand why people are so down on our roster. If you compare it to the 2008 season where we did win the cup:

-Hasek is gone - who cares?

-Dallas Drake is gone - Good strong grinder but not irreplacable

-Kopetsky is gone - I think he spent the better part of the last 2 post-seasons injured...

-Downey/McCarty - Love McCarty but I think his career is done, Downey I'll admit I'll miss

-Chelios - it was time

-Samuelson - Not gone yet...we'll see in the next couple days

Am I missing anyone?

Now, our additions:

-Ericsson - swap him in for Chelios..a plus

-Helm - Drake isn't even comparable..a plus

-Abdelkader (I know I spelled it wrong...lay off) - Not sure if he gets the call up but big offensive addition

-Leino (if we resign him) - He's gonna be awesome in the very near future

Yeah we lost Hossa but the team did fine without him the previous year and he never really delivered in the playoffs. We (myself included) are a bit spoiled but the reality is we've got a freakin' strong roster.

Every year people think that if big changes aren't made to the roster it's a bad thing. I totally disagree!

You spelled Abdelkader right. I think he's going to get another year in Grand Rapids tho... but I do agree, our additions do make up for most of our losses. We just have a couple of tiny holes to fill and that's it.

I have faith that the Wings will not make it to the Cup Finals again next year. If you have faith otherwise, maybe you'd like to put $ on it?

I don't have any $, hence me hanging out on my living room and posting here.

No faith? Find a new message board, we don't need you here.

Wings aren't looking good for next season, I would be shocked if Chicago doesn't win the central. But really their's little he can do. The Wings aren't going to let go of Maltby, Draper and Homer for loyalty reasons. But after next season, when the cap goes down, and a few guys retire, Lidstroms 7.45 goes away, the Wings will be in great shape to improve. Next season might be a wash, but after that, the Wings are going to be looking a lot better.

Wings aren't looking good for next season, I would be shocked if Chicago doesn't win the central. But really their's little he can do. The Wings aren't going to let go of Maltby, Draper and Homer for loyalty reasons. But after next season, when the cap goes down, and a few guys retire, Lidstroms 7.45 goes away, the Wings will be in great shape to improve. Next season might be a wash, but after that, the Wings are going to be looking a lot better.

Chicago isn't going to win the Central, I wish people would stop sucking off Chicago cuz of Hossa. They have no goalie, Huet sucks. The Wings still have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen, thats better than any team in the central. We have core players, the years the Wings sign a big name or trade for a big name we suck in the playoffs. Hossa, and Lang are big examples of that. Everyone thought we were gonna destroy all teams last year when we got Hossa. When we don't make big moves we do better. Well except 2002.

Chicago isn't going to win the Central, I wish people would stop sucking off Chicago cuz of Hossa. They have no goalie, Huet sucks. The Wings still have Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen, thats better than any team in the central. We have core players, the years the Wings sign a big name or trade for a big name we suck in the playoffs. Hossa, and Lang are big examples of that. Everyone thought we were gonna destroy all teams last year when we got Hossa. When we don't make big moves we do better. Well except 2002.

We went to Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final.

I swear, some people here are borderline mentally handicapped.

so chicago loses havlat, pahlsson, and khabibulin, but gains hossa and people think their going to win the central.

alright.

EDIT: they got madden too

They also got mega superstar top free agent Tomas Kopecky. Hes a proven 20+goals a season player....

...at AHL level.

"Sign a grinding forward"

All the grinding forwards have already been signed! :ranting:

Andre Roy!?!?!?!?

Moen and McGrattan.

Seriously if detroit wants the best enforcer.. they'd take McGrattan he's the toughest out.. equal to Brash, better then Colton. If they want a guy who can skate play 3rd line minutes and scrap, then it's Moen. then if they want a guy who has a similar everything to Downey but just a better player, then they go after Roy.

I'll take Roy, he's my current #1.

Andre Roy!?!?!?!?

Moen and McGrattan.

Seriously if detroit wants the best enforcer.. they'd take McGrattan he's the toughest out.. equal to Brash, better then Colton. If they want a guy who can skate play 3rd line minutes and scrap, then it's Moen. then if they want a guy who has a similar everything to Downey but just a better player, then they go after Roy.

I'll take Roy, he's my current #1.

Andre Roy...all I remember him by is his legendary "ima kill you" meltdown. And he had a fight with Downey last pre-season and seemed of equal fighting ability so its not really a step up.

I think Travis Moen is the best candidate left for Detroit. A decent LHW/HW, but he can certainly play hockey. His playoff record is especially good for a 4th liner at 15 points in 46 games including 9 goals. Far more than Kopecky's 1 assist in 12 playoff games.

If they dont go for Travis Moen, meh. I'll give up and stop thinking about it.

I know Holland has said Abs will play another year in GR, but with some gaps in the roster I wouldn't mind seeing him play in the big leagues. Another young blood could help, especially now that we are stuck with Maltby for another year.

Some poster said that when Lidström retires, we'll have more cap space and will consequently be able to build an even better team. What is wrong with that statement?

So we're losing a 40-goal scorer. We can get by without his services - we don't need our players to step up offensively this coming season, we need our defense to be better than it was last season. Then we'll be fine. Hopefully a summer of rest will sort Holmström out. Maltby was clearly saving his best play for the post-season, but it would be nice to see him make a bit more of an effort in the regular season (I imagine he doesn't want Abdelkader stealing his playoff spot). It will be interesting to see what Leino can do, and where he plays. If we keep him and Hudler, and play them on the 3rd line, they could put up decent numbers playing against opposing teams lower lines (Hudler's specialty). I'm not even sure that the Wings will make a FA signing this summer - I expect them to add a depth player at some point, but that could be through trade. Holland has said that he will trade a defenseman after training camp, once he evaluates Lilja's condition.

I don't want to see Abdelkader in a Detroit uniform next year, except for call-ups due to injury, playoffs etc. He's got too much upside to be playing 6 minutes a night in Detroit. Let him play big line minutes in GR, and only bring him up when he's not going to develop anymore, or when there is room for him to play a bigger role. Correct me if I'm wrong, but would I be right in saying that while Helm's potential is to be a wicked 3rd line centre, doesn't Abdelkader have a higher offensive potential?

So the Red Wings basically get the Roster that won the Stanley Cup just a year and a couple months ago back, lose a guy who was a complete non factor in the playoffs, and bring up 3 rookies who have already competed and performed great on the biggest spotlight in the world, and suddenly we're not even gonna win our division?

Some of you guys need to lay off whatever you're smoking. I even read in other threads that we're a fifth seed at best XD