• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TheDetroitRedWings

My theory on why Hudler is jumping ship

Rate this topic

What?

This year Filppula was better. Last year Hudler was better by far. In fact, that year Filppula was the worst forward on the ice against Nashville and for the majority of the series against Colorado. Filppula only really started to come on in the final round, and even then Hudler was better. But like I said- Filppula was better this year.

Anyone else think this might have something to do with the fact that we have absolutely no protection for our superstars?? I remember countless occasions this season where Hudler was getting physically harassed after the whistle. You could tell he was trying to give it back a little, but obviously he's not the biggest guy around. If he had played for any (and I do mean any) other NHL team there would be gloves dropping within minutes.

I truly believe that is why Hudler decided to take this route. And if that is the case, I don't blame the guy. He's a shrimp. He needs some help. The only guys that tried were Datsyuk and Franzen. That's obviously ridiculous. And what's even more ridiculous is that Kirk Maltby holds a roster spot. He brings nothing to the table. 6-7 years ago I would always let it slide because he was still a good pk'er. But now he's completely worthless. So in my eyes there is no excuse to not have atleast one roster spot reserved for a guy that will make other players pay the price for messing with our stars and superstars.

this crap again

I think having a cup at such an early point in his career made chasing the money much, MUCH more attractive. He doesnt need to take a pay cut to try and win a cup, he's been there done that. So let the big cheques roll on in.

Anyone else think this might have something to do with the fact that we have absolutely no protection for our superstars?? I remember countless occasions this season where Hudler was getting physically harassed after the whistle. You could tell he was trying to give it back a little, but obviously he's not the biggest guy around. If he had played for any (and I do mean any) other NHL team there would be gloves dropping within minutes.

I truly believe that is why Hudler decided to take this route. And if that is the case, I don't blame the guy. He's a shrimp. He needs some help. The only guys that tried were Datsyuk and Franzen. That's obviously ridiculous. And what's even more ridiculous is that Kirk Maltby holds a roster spot. He brings nothing to the table. 6-7 years ago I would always let it slide because he was still a good pk'er. But now he's completely worthless. So in my eyes there is no excuse to not have atleast one roster spot reserved for a guy that will make other players pay the price for messing with our stars and superstars.

Hudler had the opportunity to make more money tax-free and have more playing time (in all likelihood). That is why he left. Nothing more/less. I don't blame him for taking this opportunity.

It's really unfortunate Hudler decided to leave. At the beginning of last season Hudler was given a top six spot and struggled offensively. He was passing the puck in situations where he should have shot and was really not playing effectively. He was moved down onto the third line with Filppula and Samuelsson in hopes that he would find his comfort zone and excel, which he did. Personally, I think he left for the money. For some reason I do feel as though he will come back to the Wings in a couple of years but I think in terms of his role on the team and things such as ice time he's being short sighted. The wings will never be able to match the money Hudler could make in Russia but if he was really that upset about playing time and offensive role on the team leaving on a two year hiatus isn't the way to move up the depth chart. Had he stayed and proved his worth this season, when there is all that much more opportunity up front for the wings, he cuold have really become their 4th best forward...which is all he could really ask for (fitting in behind Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Franzen).

Is there any proof on Babcock's disdain for Hudler?

The fact that he got next to zero time on top lines, despite being one of the better passers the team has, would indicate that. Sticking him on any old line Babs could come up with isn't a sign of respect.

Calling Hudler a star would be a stretch. He's obviously just doing it for the money. He'll make about double what he'll make in Detroit, and it's more or less tax free. I wish Franzen was more solid. For a guy of his size his skills are exceptional but he can't push his weight around. This will be good for Detroit though, we need more tough guys, younger versions of Maltby or McCarty. Not fighting, but just guys who can throw some checks around. You know you have a problem when Datysuk is your most physical guy most nights. More role players basically. Let Dats, Z and Mule focus on scoring and let other guys worry about grinding.

I'm surprised all the sports starts aren't leaving with the way things are going here.

Making over a mil year, his tax rate will be about 51%.

His private health insurance through the wings will be taxed.

He will have to have government insurance that will be the equivalant of VA or Medicare insurance.

So he could stay on the wings make squat after taxes or go to Russia and make 10 mil tax free.

Although I'm half kidding, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of players in all major sports heading out of the country. They don't get to play that long so they have to earn what they can while they do play. Enough to support themselves and their families for many years after retirement.