• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Winged_Wheeler

Hossa and Kopecky Press Conference

Rate this topic

I think it was an interesting move for Kopy--he's young and wanted to hang with the young boys. While he could have stayed here and learned a lot from the veterans. His choice for sure.

Hossa--he was nothing but super nice at the Toast and said the he was enjoying his time here. We all knew that his coming here would probably be a one year deal. Why give him grief now?

Personally, I wish them both the best of luck with their new team. But, I will be happy when we kick the Hawks butts every game though. :)

I think it was an interesting move for Kopy--he's young and wanted to hang with the young boys. While he could have stayed here and learned a lot from the veterans. His choice for sure.

Hossa--he was nothing but super nice at the Toast and said the he was enjoying his time here. We all knew that his coming here would probably be a one year deal. Why give him grief now?

Personally, I wish them both the best of luck with their new team. But, I will be happy when we kick the Hawks butts every game though. :)

I really am not upset with Hossa leaving. He didn't show up when we needed him most. That was my biggest fear. He's had 1 good playoff year in his career and that was when he was playing with Syd. I was concerned about that when we got him.

Now he's gone. Oh well, good luck, the 1 year trial didn't work out. Time to move on.

As far as Chicago, they are not going far with Huet in goal Quenville behind the bench. Now to top it off they have an inexperienced GM. Sucks to be them. So much young talent but no leadership on or off the ice.....

You guys sound exactly like Pittsburgh fans about Hossa last year even though you have no reason to be (and they did). The offer Detroit made to Hossa was basically an insult. Get over it and move on. And for your own sake please don't boo him in Detroit next year.

You guys sound exactly like Pittsburgh fans about Hossa last year even though you have no reason to be (and they did). The offer Detroit made to Hossa was basically an insult. Get over it and move on. And for your own sake please don't boo him in Detroit next year.

I agree with everything you said except for Pittsburgh fans having a reason to be upset with Hossa. They don't have one either.

There is nowhere near the amount of hatred being shown to Hossa on this board than you got from Pens fans. Someone made a joke that has been made before, and all of a sudden it's "U guyz r so butthurt. LAWLZ!!ONE"

I seem to remember wishes for death and injury being sent Hossa's way after he signed here. I haven't seen anything remotely close to that on this board.

When Kopecky started getting ice time again, and even some time on the top lines, I remember several folks on this board pointing that out, and that maybe Hossa had something to do with it. I also remember during the season when we were talking about resigning Hossa, and it was pointed out several times that Kopecky would not be cut/traded/sent to GR because we wanted to show Hossa we had his back. It's an old meme, and Hossa and Kopecky are carrying on the tradition.

Better some good natured ribbing than "I hope Hossa gets paralyzed in training camp," No?

People need to remember that the Wings were Stanley Cup Champs/President's Trophy Winners WITHOUT Hossa the season before last. Add a piece to replace Samuelsson/Hudler and they'll be right where they were in 2007-08 IMO.

Exactly!

replace sammy, hudler and hossa with helm, abby and leino. you have a few less goals, but you have a younger, faster team that's gritty and harder to play against. the wings don't need to add another hossa type playerto win. they have as good a top 6 as any in the league. their depth is really good and they can throw 4 solid lines together. the wings will let in way less goals this coming season...guaranteed. when the young guys spend an entire season on the wings (ericsson, helm, abby, leino) we're all gonna see their games hit the next level and see what they can really do. they need to be put into their roles and be kept there for the full 82 games.

What I found most interesting about yesterday's press conference was how Hossa said Chi is young and hungry. He also equated that youth and "hungry" attitude to translating into a Cup. Still, IMO, Chi has a one-time shot at the Cup and that is next year. However, their D and their goaltending are mediocre, at best. When they fall short of the WCF this coming year, start losing players do to lack of funds, and medicocrity sets in once again in Chi, how long until Hossa wants out to go find another Cup-hungry team.

Seems to me he wants a team around him to carry him to the Cup. He had that in Detroit and did nothing to help his cause once the post-season began.

I predict another Cup for Detroit before Hossa ever sees one, if at all. I wonder how happy he'll be in Chi in the coming years when Kopecky is not re-signed after this 2-year deal.

I wish him luck, but hope the Wings stick it to Chi time and time again this year.

Go Wings!

I agree with everything you said except for Pittsburgh fans having a reason to be upset with Hossa. They don't have one either.

I think they did have a reason because Pittsburgh offered him a nice paying long term deal and he went to the team that just beat them in the finals for 1 year and for less money. I know everything you're going to say (he just wanted the best shot at the cup and he picked Detroit), but if I was a Pens fan I'd be pretty pissed. He basically said "Pens suck and I don't want to play for them" with that move. Put yourself in their position and you should understand.

I think they did have a reason because Pittsburgh offered him a nice paying long term deal and he went to the team that just beat them in the finals for 1 year and for less money. I know everything you're going to say (he just wanted the best shot at the cup and he picked Detroit), but if I was a Pens fan I'd be pretty pissed. He basically said "Pens suck and I don't want to play for them" with that move. Put yourself in their position and you should understand.

Not really.

Pens with Therrien and Hossa's contract were worse. Detroit WAS his best option.

Also, making jokes about Hossa or Kopecky isn't "classless" or "butthurt fans". It's being fans. Just like we do to Robert Lang and Jason Williams.

Quite the opposite actually.

QFT!!!

A friend may well be reckoned the masterpiece of nature.

Sir Ralph Waldo Emerson

I wrote this on facebook not long ago... and I'll share it here.

You may not initially believe that hockey, at the NHL level, has much to do with friendship; it is, after all, a business where millionaires are made, and borrowing from a popular parlance "it's not personal."

So, why then, is this note on friendship centered around hockey?

Marian Hossa was heavily criticized for his decision to play hockey with the Detroit Red Wings this year. He turned down a substantially more lucrative offer to play in Edmonton, as well as staying in Pittsburgh (which ultimately ended up in the Penguins favor), so that he could spend the year in Detroit.

Between all the lines one thing remained obfuscated. It wasn't about his chances of winning in Edmonton or Pittsburgh, so much as he got the chance to be on the same team as his friend. Tomas Kopecky was about to start his 4th season in Detroit and he was talking with his friend about the team, after all that's what friends do, and that what they had done each Summer for years while working out in the off-season. It wasn't a coincidence that Hossa choose to become a Wing.

Now a year later, it should not surprise anyone that Hossa and Kopecky (who also both have the same agent) have new contracts with a new team:

The Chicago Blackhawks have signed star winger Marian Hossa to a 12-year deal.

The deal is worth $62.8 million over the life of the contract -- an average of $5.233 million a year.

A 12-year deal helped Marian Hossa leave the Red Wings for their Original Six rivals.

Hossa was one of two Detroit Red Wings to join the Blackhawks on Wednesday. The team also signed center Tomas Kopecky to a two-year contract that will pay him $1.2 million per season.

It is certainly a lot of money, but still less than Hossa would have made if he went to Edmonton to begin with. For Kopecky it must be really nice as well.

How much is it worth to be able to speak in your native language with someone you knew before you were famous?

When Hossa came here, the fact Kopecky was his "best bud" was the big deal.

When Kopecky sucked, they talked about keeping him simply because "it would keep Marian on the team"

I HAVE closed the book on his departure. There are just a few of you who are too quick to pull the "You guys are just mad they left!" card. They have made this joke while they both were on the team, and there is no reason to stop now. Just lighten up guys.

Maybe some people just take the excessive homophobia in these forums more seriously than others. I won't say more then that, as I really hate being censored, and its not really what the thread is about.

I certainly think Kopecky played as was expected from him minus his show as a ragdoll.

I also, don't remember seeing these jokes a year ago, but oh well.

Red Wing's fans have every right to be upset with Hossa. He choked on the biggest stage. People can say its a "team sport" but when you're highest paid player(tied) isn't producing and doesn't even step up his game in the absence if Datsyuk, the fan base has every right to be pissed.

Him leaving was a blessing in disguise, this team would have been gutted in order to keep him around. Hudler would have been sent and offer sheet, Sammy, Conklin, Leino, gone. Kopecky would stay for obvious reasons.

Hossa completely destroyed the chemistry of this team. He wasn't allowed to be criticized because he left so much money on the table to play here. If you commented on his lack of production in the playoffs, you would get a rebuttal of "He scored 40 goals in the regular season", like that is some special accomplishment playing with one of the best passers in the league.

"Hes not scoring but he plays great defense!"

No, he plays OK defense, in the neutral zone. Hes not even in the same realm as Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Richards, Kessler, Koivu, Pahlsson.

Im glad the Wings didn't add another ridiculous deal. It wasn't necessary and everyone saying that Zetterberg, Franzen, or Hossa would be retired before age 40, how do you know? How do you know that they don't have the same passion for the game as Draper or Lidstrom?

I mean it makes sense to lock them up long term and the contract is very trade able now but who would trade for a 40 year old Marian Hossa with a five million dollar cap hit? There are just some players in the league that should get deals like that and Hossa isn't one of them.

Zetterberg and Franzen proved themselves and Datsyuk, at the time got a relatively long deal for a UFA. Locking up your "core players" is great in principle as long as it doesn't cost you your future and younger players. Adding Hossa for another decade would have done just that. If you're going to tie up that much cash into a player and sacrifice your young players, you're better off just sending an offer sheet to a Tavares or Hedman.

In short, signing Hossa would have been crazy.

Hossa completely destroyed the chemistry of this team. He wasn't allowed to be criticized because he left so much money on the table to play here.

I wonder if him being on the roster changed the approach of the coaches, perhaps made the gameplans more geared towards using offense. I suppose it's understandable if you have Pav, Z, Mule and Hoss.

"Hes not scoring but he plays great defense!"

No, he plays OK defense, in the neutral zone. Hes not even in the same realm as Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Richards, Kessler, Koivu, Pahlsson.

Well I always thought that when it came to anticipating defensively and positioning that Hossa was rather middle of the pack as a Red Wing, but that's theoretically above average in regards to the rest of the league.

I know, it just looked very funny to watch them hold up their jerseys with those numbers one apart. I guess it was a context thing, but the whole thing of them being inseperable kinda hit home for me when I saw the picture.

Did anyone else notice that their numbers are 81 and 82?

I saw a picture of them holding up their jerseys in the Sunday Free Press and just started laughing.....

i wonder if it bothers the "future Mrs. Hossa" that kopecky takes up her leg and foot room at the end of their bed?? did they put #82 on kopy's collar in case he gets lost? all joking aside, hossa was #18 until the amazing maltby had seniority...and switched the numbers around to 81

i wonder if it bothers the "future Mrs. Hossa" that kopecky takes up her leg and foot room at the end of their bed?? did they put #82 on kopy's collar in case he gets lost? all joking aside, hossa was #18 until the amazing maltby had seniority...and switched the numbers around to 81

...and Koko was 28 (after Jakob's birthday 2/8) until Rafalski made Koko change to Koko's birth year. Worked out well for him, I'd say. At least there was some significance.

As to the consecutive numbers thing, I saw a pic of Flip and E together and immediately noticed the consecutive numbers. I think it stands out with the higher numbers moreso than the traditional under-30 numbers. No one saw Lebda, Stewie, Cheli, Mac, and Huds standing together and went "whoa, dude." Mostly because no one could see Huds behind the others.