• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BeeRYCE

Afinogenov?

Rate this topic

Okay... Now let me get my say out here... Afinogenov is a HIGHLY skilled player. He has amazing speed and hands, but some question his passing ability, and his finishing skills... But I think we can get him at a fair, affordable discount and benefit from it. He was a point per game player on Buffalo and at one point the league's point leader in 06/07 before he got injured. That being said, it proves he has the ability to finish, and to be effective. I think with our system, and discipline, Afinogenov would be a pretty good risk to take. I always liked him, and I honestly thought that 08/09 was his off year. I think at a cheap cost, Holland should sign him, and I really don't see the problem if it's at a fair price like 2M or even 2.5M.

Afinogenov? #61 in a Wings jersey? Pass or take? Be reasonable here...

Actually, I question his passing too. And his ability to finish, if he can stay healthy, if he'll compete for an entire shift, let alone an entire game... and also how much money he'll want. The guy is skilled, but he also seems to be a headcase. That, along with injury issues seem to have caused his numbers to dip.

Could Babcock get more out of him? Maybe, maybe not.

I'll pass. Albeit he is a point producer, he wouldn't fit into the wings system. He's to much of a free flow player, and not much for defense. I was talking to Ryan Miller in lansing during the finals and he was talking about the sabres not resigning him because he is to hard to play with... he's all over the ice and not responsible in his own end. That coming from Miller, i'll pass on Maxy.

Value on the ice < Salary he would want

Based on his recent production (28 points in 07-08 and 20 points in 08-09), I am not sure hes in a position to command the "salary he would want". Plus, hes still on the market this late in the FA game. A player like this will be taken for a bargain, that is, if you think he has any potential. I think he'd be worth taking a chance on IF Hudler goes to Russia, and Holland cannot sign a gritty forward that can score as well. Max would improve greatly in the Wings' system.

I'd do it depending on salary. Yes, it's a risk, but skill level like this doesn't just disappear.

Oh, but it does...

... wow, I'm shocked that people are still even mentioning this guy. Hey, how about Todd Bertuzzi? Yes, he's a risk, but skill level like this doesn't just disappear.

Guest Crymson
Oh, but it does...

... wow, I'm shocked that people are still even mentioning this guy. Hey, how about Todd Bertuzzi? Yes, he's a risk, but skill level like this doesn't just disappear.

His skill level from his pre-lockout days has MARKEDLY disappeared.

Marked injuries and mental trauma will do that.

Edited by Crymson

Oh, but it does...

Yes, because that's a perfect comparison. Obviously skill level CAN diminish. I suppose I should have said, "skill level like that doesn't just disappear unless there's a good reason". I just figured that would have been self-evident.

Nothing has happened to Afinogenov that should diminish his skill level.

Obviously Bertuzzi's had a calm few years in his life, right?

Edited by Zetts

I could understand rejecting Afinogenov on the basis of cost... he will probably cost way to much for us, and he doesn't fill any glaring needs... but anyone who would reject an inexpensive Afinogenov knows nothing about hockey (particularly if you are a person who would prefer signing a Bertuzzi, Peca, Shanahan, or one of the other over-the-hill wastes)... Afinogenov is 29, and has been slowed by injuries, but more than capable of recapturing his hot hands without the pressure of being a top scorer.

Pass. Only two seasons was he ever near a point per game pace. So saying he was a point per game guy while in Buffalo is not true.

I can see this board tear him apart with his shooting and missing just like Sammy was. Also at this point in his career I don't see him improving that much more or any at all.

Edited by dragonballgtz