• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest blueadams

next move?

Rate this topic

Guest blueadams

I know that a lot of people have been calling for more grit, but holland's stated that he wanted to add two 15-goal scorers with the remaining cap (after it became clear that we'd be losing hudler). Eaves gives us one, potentially. So, who's next. Seeing as we're probably going to be starting abby off in g.r., and we're probably going to be trading Lilja/Lebda/Meech, who can we get?

...prospal!?

I know that a lot of people have been calling for more grit, but holland's stated that he wanted to add two 15-goal scorers with the remaining cap (after it became clear that we'd be losing hudler). Eaves gives us one, potentially. So, who's next. Seeing as we're probably going to be starting abby off in g.r., and we're probably going to be trading Lilja/Lebda/Meech, who can we get?

...prospal!?

The best available option IMO

Better than Sundin, Bertuzzi, Sykora, WIlliams, especially if we can sign him cheap because of his buyout salary.

We've already made up for losing Hudler and Sammy by adding Helm to the lineup, who wasn't a regular season player for us previously. Also, Eaves will most likely score as many goals as Sammy or Hudler did, since people are making it sound like these guys were great goal scorers or something. They weren't.

Thus, grit is where Holland needs to look to next. There's no lack of scoring on this team as it stands now.

The best available option IMO

Better than Sundin, Bertuzzi, Sykora, WIlliams, especially if we can sign him cheap because of his buyout salary.

If Prospal is so good, how come every team he's been on recently has been more than willing to let him go?

People here are busting their pants over this Prospal character.

Guest blueadams
We've already made up for losing Hudler and Sammy by adding Helm to the lineup, who wasn't a regular season player for us previously. Also, Eaves will most likely score as many goals as Sammy or Hudler did, since people are making it sound like these guys were great goal scorers or something. They weren't.

Thus, grit is where Holland needs to look to next. There's no lack of scoring on this team as it stands now.

...i would argue that helm and abby full-time next season give us plenty of grit...we need to replace the goals that we lost. hudler, sammy, AND...oh yeah...HOSSA!!! did u forget about those goals?

I would absolutely LOVE it if they signed Prospal. That would fill out our roster VERY well I think and would give some mean line combos.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Cleary

Prospal, Filppula, Franzen

Eaves, Helm, Leino

Maltby, Draper, Holmstrom

that looks dam good to me

...i would argue that helm and abby full-time next season give us plenty of grit...we need to replace the goals that we lost. hudler, sammy, AND...oh yeah...HOSSA!!! did u forget about those goals?

We won't have to replace Hossa's goals come playoff time, and you know why. As for the regular season, there's no danger of this team missing out on the playoffs, so who cares if they score fewer goals? This team sucked on defense last year, thus I don't mind if we score less goals but show more fortitude and defensive responsibility.

Likewise, if Holland truly wanted a goal scorer, he should have acted sooner. There aren't any great goal scorers left now as free agents.

We won't have to replace Hossa's goals come playoff time, and you know why. As for the regular season, there's no danger of this team missing out on the playoffs, so who cares if they score fewer goals? This team sucked on defense last year, thus I don't mind if we score less goals but show more fortitude and defensive responsibility.

Likewise, if Holland truly wanted a goal scorer, he should have acted sooner. There aren't any great goal scorers left now as free agents.

Prospal is good for an average of 20 goals a season over the last 7 years or so. Yeah he was bought out, but it was because Tampa's owners are cheap as f***. Prospal being bought out make him an even cheaper option for the Wings because he's already betting paid 1.17 million a season by the Lightning. Prospal looks to be the "best of the rest" so to say.

Holland didn't go after someone before now for one simple reason: The NHL decided to file a grievance over Hudler's defection to the KHL. Holland stated that he couldn't go out and sign a player for 2 million only to have Hudler added back to the roster in August. He had to be sure everything was all tied up before he signed a replacement.

:lol:

Prospal is good for an average of 20 goals a season over the last 7 years or so. Yeah he was bought out, but it was because Tampa's owners are cheap as f***. Prospal being bought out make him an even cheaper option for the Wings because he's already betting paid 1.17 million a season by the Lightning. Prospal looks to be the "best of the rest" so to say.

Would signing Prospal push Fil out of the top 6?

2 guys who can score between 15 - 25 goals = one rookie checker........................seriously?

Rookie checker?

Helm outplayed both those players towards the end of the playoffs. He's got the grit and determination to score goals just by going to the net a lot and fighting for pucks. Something Hudler, Sammy and all the euro loving fans on this board don't seem to appreciate enough in players.

I'd take a team of Helms over anybody we lost in the offseason. Heart and grit is what we need. Not soft, skilled players.

Holland didn't go after someone before now for one simple reason: The NHL decided to file a grievance over Hudler's defection to the KHL. Holland stated that he couldn't go out and sign a player for 2 million only to have Hudler added back to the roster in August. He had to be sure everything was all tied up before he signed a replacement.

Prospal was bought out because he is a defensive liability he is a career - player, and with the way we played last year that is the last thing we need on this team.His secound best season he had something like 25 goals and 55 points and was still a minus 11 his best season he had 79 points and was only a +7. He may be a 20 goal scorer but if he is gonna be on the ice for more than he puts in the net i say HELL NO.

Edited by GORM19

I actually agree with the guy. Samuelsson and Hudler really arent big losses. They are merely system players that were productive on our third line. To me, the third line was exposed in the SCF. I have no problem making the 3rd line more defensively responsible. It seemed to me that whenever Sammy or Hudler werent in the lineup for whatever reason, the team didnt miss a beat. We are now going to be a tougher team to play against and theres no doubt about that.

I actually agree with the guy. Samuelsson and Hudler really arent big losses. They are merely system players that were productive on our third line. To me, the third line was exposed in the SCF. I have no problem making the 3rd line more defensively responsible. It seemed to me that whenever Sammy or Hudler werent in the lineup for whatever reason, the team didnt miss a beat. We are now going to be a tougher team to play against and theres no doubt about that.

Many people here thought Hudler was some sort of god, so good luck convincing them otherwise.

Fact is we need players more willing to play in front of the net and to fight for pucks. Even if Hudler was willing to do that, he still wouldn't have the physical size and determination to be effective at it.

Helm is also a smaller player but watch the way Helm plays on every shift and the way Hudler plays on every shift, and then tell me who's more important. If everyone played as hard as Helm, we'd win the Cup every year.

Would signing Prospal push Fil out of the top 6?

I'd say it would push Leino out of the top 6 and onto the 3rd line. (which I'm ok with since he's a rookie and will likely get a few shots at the top six throughout the season)

Prospal was bought out because he is a defensive liability he is a career - player, and with the way we played last year that is the last thing we need on this team.His secound best season he had something like 25 goals and 55 points and was still a minus 11 his best season he had 79 points and was only a +7. He may be a 20 goal scorer but if he is gonna be on the ice for more than he puts in the net i say HELL NO.

Many people here thought Hudler was some sort of god, so good luck convincing them otherwise.

Fact is we need players more willing to play in front of the net and to fight for pucks. Even if Hudler was willing to do that, he still wouldn't have the physical size and determination to be effective at it.

Helm is also a smaller player but watch the way Helm plays on every shift and the way Hudler plays on every shift, and then tell me who's more important. If everyone played as hard as Helm, we'd win the Cup every year.

A god? He was despised by half the boards.

Hudler and Helm provide two completely different things. One is a scorer with an average defensive capacity and the other is an energy player with strong defensive ability. Yeah we all wish everyone played like Helm-- I'm sure Babcock would kill to get the entire team to play with as much energy as Helm. But he wasn't more important than Hudler to the team. In a few years? Maybe. Helm was a critical piece of the 2nd PP that allowed Dats and Z to be played together on the 1st PP. As it stands right now we don't have a strong set-up guy to lead the forwards on the 2nd PP. Filppula will be asked to fill this role, but he's a significant downgrade from Hudler in that the realm of offensive skill.

You won't see Helm on the PP, nor will you see Hudler on the PK. It's really tough to compare those two players.

A god? He was despised by half the boards.

Hudler and Helm provide two completely different things. One is a scorer with an average defensive capacity and the other is an energy player with strong defensive ability. Yeah we all wish everyone played like Helm-- I'm sure Babcock would kill to get the entire team to play with as much energy as Helm. But he wasn't more important than Hudler to the team. In a few years? Maybe. Helm was a critical piece of the 2nd PP that allowed Dats and Z to be played together on the 1st PP. As it stands right now we don't have a strong set-up guy to lead the forwards on the 2nd PP. Filppula will be asked to fill this role, but he's a significant downgrade from Hudler in that the realm of offensive skill.

You won't see Helm on the PP, nor will you see Hudler on the PK. It's really tough to compare those two players.

My memory of the playoffs has Helm playing like a much more important player than Hudler. That's why Hudler was delegated to the 4th line by the end of the playoffs, while Helm was continuously given more responsibility by Babcock.

Helm can score 20 goals just by playing hard and going to the net. Hudler, on the other hand was a streaky player that could disappear for long stretches of time. Theoretically he's more of a scorer, but will usually beats skill.

I am hoping that he meant to say Helm , LEINO and Eaves can make up for sammy and huds points. If that is what he meant to say than I am in total agreement with him.

IMO I would look for Kenny to sign one or two of grier, maholtra, pyatt, betts or peca etc if you catch my drift.

My memory of the playoffs has Helm playing like a much more important player than Hudler. That's why Hudler was delegated to the 4th line by the end of the playoffs, while Helm was continuously given more responsibility by Babcock.

Helm can score 20 goals just by playing hard and going to the net. Hudler, on the other hand was a streaky player that could disappear for long stretches of time. Theoretically he's more of a scorer, but will usually beats skill.

Hudler was still in the top six for forward scoring and he still played on the 2nd PP. Hudler dropped a few minutes in the playoffs, but he was played pretty much the same way he was played in the regular season. It's not like Babcock gave Hudler top six minutes in the regular season then demoted him in the playoffs.

In how many seasons? I'm willing to bet he'll reach 20 career regular season goals by mid way through his third season, maybe the end of his third.

I love Helm, wish we had two of him. But to say he's a potential 20 goal scorer is pretty far fetched. He'll chip goals in sometimes, but that's not why he's playing in the NHL, that's just a bonus.

Helm was a critical piece of the 2nd PP that allowed Dats and Z to be played together on the 1st PP. As it stands right now we don't have a strong set-up guy to lead the forwards on the 2nd PP.

Am I reading this right? Just kidding. I knew what you meant.

I really don't know about this whole playing hard thing. Everyone can play hard but everyone won't look like Helm. In saying that, how can you tell if someone is playing hard when in your mind playing hard is the way Darren Helm plays? How do you know Lidstrom is playing hard by that standard?