• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

b.shanafan14

Red Wings Training Camp Notes

Rate this topic

Anyone going to camp again today? I have tickets for all 3 days but I was just curious how long the scrimmage is scheduled for today? Is it going to be 45 min like the one yesterday or longer and closer to an actual game length tonight?

Anyone going to camp again today? I have tickets for all 3 days but I was just curious how long the scrimmage is scheduled for today? Is it going to be 45 min like the one yesterday or longer and closer to an actual game length tonight?

If I recall from last year, all the scrimmages are the same. 30 minutes with a 15 minute break. Do know that the doors opened at 2:20 p.m. today and you can watch some practice.

We have tickets for tonight and tomorrow night.

To those of you who didn't stay late and catch players afterwards, Nick, Homer and Pasha were the last ones out there and they were wonderfully sweet to the fans who stayed.

Evan McGrath is one worth watching. Leino was great, and Landon Ferraro is definitely an up and comer.

To those of you who didn't stay late and catch players afterwards, Nick, Homer and Pasha were the last ones out there and they were wonderfully sweet to the fans who stayed.

Evan McGrath is one worth watching. Leino was great, and Landon Ferraro is definitely an up and comer.

Did you get to see the game tonight? Who scored? Who looked good in the game? Where do babies come from?

Kira,

Wasn't it pitch black out by the time those guys got out? Did you get them out by the barricade? I'm hoping to get Nick's autograph tonight afterwards, just want to know where/when the best shot is.

Update from MLIVE -

Inside training camp:

First cuts: Nine players were trimmed from the 57-man camp roster. Forwards Mitchell Callahan, Landon Ferraro, Stephen Johnston, Andrej Nestrasil and Brent Raedeke and defensemen Gleason Fournier and Brian Lashoff were assigned to their junior clubs. Forward Austin Fyten and goaltender Chris Whitley were released.

Ferraro impresses: Coach Mike Babcock liked what he saw from Landon Ferraro, the club's top draft pick this year. "I thought the Ferraro kid has had a good rookie camp,'' Babcock said. "Played real well. He's got real change of pace. He's going to play (in the NHL) one day.'' Ferraro was sent back to his junior club, Red Deer.

Tatar leads team: Tomas Tatar, the club's second pick this year, had a goal and an assist to lead Team Lindsay to a 4-1 victory against Team Howe in a scrimmage. "Looks like has a real nose for the net,'' Babcock said.

View from the bench: The club has spent a lot of time in meetings and on the ice working on penalty killing. It was abysmal last season, with Detrpit finishing 25th in the NHL. Captain Nicklas Lidstrom said the key is applying more pressure on the puck and being more aggressive instead of backing off and giving the opposition more time.

Injury report: Defenseman Andreas Lilja (post-concussion symptoms) skated by himself but remains out indefinitely. Center Henrik Zetterberg has practiced the past two days, showing no signs of the groin injury that bothered him last week.

What's next: Practices 3 to 5:15 p.m. Tuesday at Centre I.C.E. Arena in Traverse City. The gold medal game between Team Lindsay and Team Delvecchio begins at 6 p.m. That's the end of training camp. The team will take buses back to Detroit and will open the preseason Wednesday at home against Philadelphia.

Update from MLIVE -

Inside training camp:

View from the bench: The club has spent a lot of time in meetings and on the ice working on penalty killing. It was abysmal last season, with Detrpit finishing 25th in the NHL. Captain Nicklas Lidstrom said the key is applying more pressure on the puck and being more aggressive instead of backing off and giving the opposition more time.

Finally! That's what I wanted to happen all of last season, never happened.

Good to see they realised what one of the main problems was, they allowedthe opposition far too much time and space.

Finally! That's what I wanted to happen all of last season, never happened.

Good to see they realised what one of the main problems was, they allowedthe opposition far too much time and space.

Agree... that passive kill burned them constantly. Detroit simply does not have the shot blockers other teams have.

Agree... that passive kill burned them constantly. Detroit simply does not have the shot blockers other teams have.

True. What they have are players that are exceptional at taking the puck away from the opposing players, a strenght they didn't use much on the PK last year. Good to hear that they're making the necessary changes. If the defense can return to form I see no reason for the Wings to do worse than last year.

Kira,

Wasn't it pitch black out by the time those guys got out? Did you get them out by the barricade? I'm hoping to get Nick's autograph tonight afterwards, just want to know where/when the best shot is.

Yes, it was late and dark when they came out but it was worth it to be out by the barricades. In fact, when Pasha came out I was the first person he came to. They stayed out til they signed for everyone who wanted them to sign and take photos. Bless their hearts. Pasha was even talking to staff outside. They were worth the wait.

And yes, I did see the game. I have the best seat in the house, I think.

The other nice thing that happened was Kris Draper came over and spent a couple minutes talking to some of us after the game. He was very kind and gracious.

You might want to come early to the practice and wait outside to see who shows up.

Edited by Kira

I'm officially excited about Tatar...

Kid just seems to be scoring at every opportunity.

I am hoping he chooses to play down that street at Compuware this sseason instead of Grand Rapids. The Whalers could definitely use him!

It really sucks to have Helm start the this year off with an injury. Somethign that seemed a little strange to me in that article was how they claimed that either Derek Meech would fill in at forward or that Justin ABdelkader would sub in while Helm was out with an injury. Last time I checked the Wings already had 13 forwards and Kirk Maltby would be the obvious choice to replace Helm on the fourth line. Is there another injury or something I've missed?

It really sucks to have Helm start the this year off with an injury. Somethign that seemed a little strange to me in that article was how they claimed that either Derek Meech would fill in at forward or that Justin ABdelkader would sub in while Helm was out with an injury. Last time I checked the Wings already had 13 forwards and Kirk Maltby would be the obvious choice to replace Helm on the fourth line. Is there another injury or something I've missed?

My perhaps they'll place LTIR, which I believe is 10 games, and let him properly rehabilitate his injury and make sure he's 100%, in the meantime giving Abdelkader some more NHL experience as 13th forward rotating in. But since its only 2-4 weeks expected for the injury, I find it highly unlikely that would be the case.

My man Stephen Johnston scored for Team Howe yesterday, excellent. :thumbup: Really want this kid to make it.

I'm a bit shocked at Tatar, the fact that he's the only draftee still at camp says wonders about how well he's played, how good his attitude is and how highly we rate him. It was probably a boom/bust pick but the very, very early signs are certainly extremely encouraging. :thumbup: