• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
40#1Fan

Brad May to Play on Friday (and Friday's Line Up)

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...season_deb.html

Brad May to make preseason debut Friday; lineup for Red Wings' preseason game vs. Leafs

By Ansar Khan

September 24, 2009, 1:00PM

DETROIT -- Veteran forward Brad May, who joined the team on a tryout Wednesday, practiced with the regular squad today and will play in Friday's preseason game vs. the Toronto Maple Leafs at Joe Louis Arena (7:30, Fox Sports Net Plus).

The club brought in May (6-1, 213) because of his size and toughness. General manager Ken Holland said he would decide after the weekend what the next step will be. But he said May won't be traveling to Sweden with the team for the start of the regular season, as the club has no available salary-cap space.

May could end up signing a two-way deal and play for Grand Rapids at the start of the season, being recalled on occasion, much like Aaron Downey last season. May played in 38 games for the Leafs last season, after starting the season Anaheim.

Here's the lineup for Friday's game:

Forwards

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Bertuzzi-Filppula-Cleary

Draper-Abdelkader-Ritola

May-Newbury-Pare

Defense

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Kronwall-Stuart

Lebda-Ericsson

Goalies

Osgood

Howard

Henrik Zetterberg skated briefly at the start of practice and took the ice afterward but continues to be hampered by a groin strain, which almost assuredly will keep him idled through the weekend.

Zetterberg is confident he'll be ready for the start of the season. He might be able to play in the final preseason game Wednesday against Swedish club Farjestads

Nah, the minute the gloves come off, Holland will run on the ice and break it up himself, like a school prinicipal.

May will have to jump someone instead, which he's quite good at.

GMR, don't derail the thread with this overly-stated opinion.

To the 5-6 of you that constantly bring up the toughness issue when the thread wasn't regarding that: use this as your warning.

Guest micah
GMR, don't derail the thread with this overly-stated opinion.

To the 5-6 of you that constantly bring up the toughness issue when the thread wasn't regarding that: use this as your warning.

Toughness in a thread about Brad May is as relevant as goal scoring is in a thread about Pavel Datsyuk. Brad May's primary role is to provide toughness, how can the two be seperated?

Edited by micah

Why separate Leino and Flip? Anyways, Brad May would still be a solid 4th liner.

I figure it has to be because Cleary and Bertuzzi are both coming of groin injuries and haven't played enough in the preseason. Leino's already made the team and he's played lots in the preseason. I too would like to see Leino out there, but the Wings have to play 3 games in three days this weekend so having a guy like Leino rested can't be a bad thing.

I still hate the idea of splitting Datsyuk and Zetterberg up. Compare last season to the one before and there's no question that they're better together than apart. I know Babs is trying to balance the team as best he can, but this also forces Filppula onto the 3rd line. While I love how strong that makes the third line I hate that Filppula's going to lose the extra responsibility. I'm sure there will be more than a few games where Z and Dats are together and Val gets to centre the 3rd, but I'd rather the majority of the games were played with Dats and Z together.

I'm hoping that at least we'll see the Z-D-H line stay together on the first powerplay so they'll be able to keep that chemistry as strong as possible.

Check it out:

Team A

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Leino (here Franzen would play Holmer's role in front of the net since he's big and he's so good in close)

Bertuzzi-Williams-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Team B

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Cleary

Leino-Filppula-Williams

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Is the balance really that much better on Team B? Team B definitely has a better checking line in terms of defensive skill (noting that Williams is terrible defensively, but at least he isn't playing the defensively demanding role of centre on Team B). The s***ty part here is that moving Filppula up to the 2nd line puts the top 3 defensive-offensive combo centres on the top two lines. The Wings simply don't have a fourth centre with offensive up-side but still plays excellent defense. Lots of you will say Helm, but that's simply not true. Helm doesn't have the hands to create significant offense at the NHL level (even Babcock's said that in an interview). Helm will be lucky to produce 15 points (tops) in his rookie year. He doesn't project as more than a 20-25 point guy in today's NHL. All of his points are produced with blazing speed and really hard work, but that's not enough to net you 40+ points without a shot or a decent set of hands. None of that matters, though, because that's not why Helm is such a valued young player-- the Wings love his game without the puck, anything else is a bonus.

Anyway, looks like I rambled on for far too long again. Sorry. My point is that Babs should go with Team A and only switch to Team B if Filppula can't cut it offensively.

I want a May-Tardiff-AppleFritter 4th line against the Leafs!

esteef

Yeah, I'm really surprised Abdelkader isn't playing tonight... I know he's been over played in the preseason compared to everyone else, but this is exactly the type of game we need him in for.

Still, tonight will be an entertaining look at what happens when a physical-first team meets a team that isn't intimidated by physical play. I don't think the Leafs are skilled enough to play the role of the Ducks in this situation (where the Ducks used to be a strong enough balance of tough and skilled to cause us fits).

I figure it has to be because Cleary and Bertuzzi are both coming of groin injuries and haven't played enough in the preseason. Leino's already made the team and he's played lots in the preseason. I too would like to see Leino out there, but the Wings have to play 3 games in three days this weekend so having a guy like Leino rested can't be a bad thing.

I still hate the idea of splitting Datsyuk and Zetterberg up. Compare last season to the one before and there's no question that they're better together than apart. I know Babs is trying to balance the team as best he can, but this also forces Filppula onto the 3rd line. While I love how strong that makes the third line I hate that Filppula's going to lose the extra responsibility. I'm sure there will be more than a few games where Z and Dats are together and Val gets to centre the 3rd, but I'd rather the majority of the games were played with Dats and Z together.

I'm hoping that at least we'll see the Z-D-H line stay together on the first powerplay so they'll be able to keep that chemistry as strong as possible.

Check it out:

Team A

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Leino (here Franzen would play Holmer's role in front of the net since he's big and he's so good in close)

Bertuzzi-Williams-Cleary

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Team B

Bertuzzi-Zetterberg-Cleary

Leino-Filppula-Williams

Draper-Helm-Eaves

Is the balance really that much better on Team B? Team B definitely has a better checking line in terms of defensive skill (noting that Williams is terrible defensively, but at least he isn't playing the defensively demanding role of centre on Team B). The s***ty part here is that moving Filppula up to the 2nd line puts the top 3 defensive-offensive combo centres on the top two lines. The Wings simply don't have a fourth centre with offensive up-side but still plays excellent defense. Lots of you will say Helm, but that's simply not true. Helm doesn't have the hands to create significant offense at the NHL level (even Babcock's said that in an interview). Helm will be lucky to produce 15 points (tops) in his rookie year. He doesn't project as more than a 20-25 point guy in today's NHL. All of his points are produced with blazing speed and really hard work, but that's not enough to net you 40+ points without a shot or a decent set of hands. None of that matters, though, because that's not why Helm is such a valued young player-- the Wings love his game without the puck, anything else is a bonus.

Anyway, looks like I rambled on for far too long again. Sorry. My point is that Babs should go with Team A and only switch to Team B if Filppula can't cut it offensively.

I totally agree with these line combos. 4th line is pretty much locked because it would be stupid to drop someone like Williams there. That means all the changes are made between the top three lines and those are so far the only two combos that really make sence. I prefer the A over B because playing Flip in the 3rd seems somehow not right. But then again if it would be Team B how much would the 3rd line play? If Babs decides to play those three lines almost evenly I can still see Flip-Leino reaching big numbers in the 3rd line.

edit: By the way, is it 'in' the line or 'on' the line? :D

Edited by Finnish Wing

Yeah, I'm really surprised Abdelkader isn't playing tonight... I know he's been over played in the preseason compared to everyone else, but this is exactly the type of game we need him in for.

Still, tonight will be an entertaining look at what happens when a physical-first team meets a team that isn't intimidated by physical play. I don't think the Leafs are skilled enough to play the role of the Ducks in this situation (where the Ducks used to be a strong enough balance of tough and skilled to cause us fits).

The game is tomorrow not tonight.

Fuuuck yeah man... hopefully May outplays Maltby or we have some steady injuries to keep May in the line up for the year :D

May, Abdelkader, Bertuzzi, Ericsson, that's almost a respectable line up! (Y)

Guest mindfly

I'm just waiting for the yearly back-spasm problem for Zetterberg... the guy always get these weird injuries..and have had groin injuries early on both last season and two seasons ago, he needs to prepare better.

Edited by mindfly