• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Phazon

is Ericsson going to be better than Kronwall?

Rate this topic

I disagree, I think it just looks that way because while Ericsson carries the puck up ice he's no where near as aggressive nor is he asked to as aggressive.

Kronwall needs to pick his spots better in some cases but he has a high hockey IQ when the puck is on his stick.

Agreed. Kronwall is a much better passer and heads-up player at this point, and it is not even close.

Ericsson will take a while to develop, IMO, but already I can say I want to start seeing him on the point in PPs over Williams.

I disagree, I think it just looks that way because while Ericsson carries the puck up ice he's no where near as aggressive nor is he asked to as aggressive.

Kronwall needs to pick his spots better in some cases but he has a high hockey IQ when the puck is on his stick.

I should've been clearer. For Ericsson's level of development, I think he has shown better game smarts than Kronner did. Kronwall has been much, much better the last couple seasons, but his early career he showed some unbelievably bad decisions for such a talented guy. And honestly I think overall Kronwall is offensively more talented, which makes his gaffes stand out that much more.

Ericsson has been incredibly consistent for being so green, but he keeps it pretty simple.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Kromwall is your prototypical bruiser defenceman. Something I believe we haven't had since Konstantinov (Fischer was close). He has the ability to make open ice hits like no one's business. His offensive abilities are good, he can move the puck and he isn't a slow skater. But he isn't going to get 50-60pts every year IMO but he CAN make the good first pass under pressure.

Ericsson is bigger, but not as heavy hitting. He's got a better shot than Kronner and I have the feeling watching him is a better positional player and has the "it" for maturing into a premiere defenceman with regards to his smarts and his ability to learn, something I see much more in him than in Kronwall.

Is he going to be better? Yes I believe that in the long run Ericsson has a larger potential in terms of being a student of the game at BOTH ends of the ice. His composure, especially for his age reminds me of another Swedish defenceman we drafted years ago who's calm demeanor is exactly like he plays under pressure; cool, and collected.

Edited by T.OWingsFan

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Kromwall is your prototypical bruiser defenceman. Something I believe we haven't had since Konstantinov (Fischer was close). He has the ability to make open ice hits like no one's business. His offensive abilities are good, he can move the puck and he isn't a slow skater. But he isn't going to get 50-60pts every year IMO but he CAN make the good first pass under pressure.

Ericsson is bigger, but not as heavy hitting. He's got a better shot than Kronner and I have the feeling watching him is a better positional player and has the "it" for maturing into a premiere defenceman with regards to his smarts and his ability to learn, something I see much more in him than in Kronwall.

Is he going to be better? Yes I believe that in the long run Ericsson has a larger potential in terms of being a student of the game at BOTH ends of the ice. His composure, especially for his age reminds me of another Swedish defenceman we drafted years ago who's calm demeanor is exactly like he plays under pressure; cool, and collected.

While I agree with a lot in your post, remember that Ericsson is already 25. Hes a lot older then most people think/people who have only one year in the league.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Kromwall is your prototypical bruiser defenceman.

Maybe you need to clarify what you mean by "prototypical bruiser defenceman" because based on my assumption, I don't think that the case at all. I would use that to define someone that goes out and punishes guys on a regular basis, hits everything in sight, etc. Fighting could be in there as well, but not necessarily.

I'm assuming you are referring to him as a hitter, solely, which is fine, but I don't classify him anywhere near being a guy that goes out and hits everything that moves. I mean, sure, he'll through a fancy open ice hit every now and then, but there are way more guys in this league that throw way more hits on a regular basis.