• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest E_S_A_D

LGW is Pro-Enforcer: The Results are In.

Rate this topic

Guest E_S_A_D

I think it's fair to say that those that agreed with Brad May's signing are seeing and understanding it's value. His 6 fights have been typically in winning games. I do not know the exact percentages of May in the game versus a win or not. However, I did predict it'd be higher. Our players play braver and bolder. It sparked our team... not to mention the Joe was rocking.

May= the best 1/2 million money can buy.

I think it's fair to say that those that agreed with Brad May's signing are seeing and understanding it's value. His 6 fights have been typically in winning games. I do not know the exact percentages of May in the game versus a win or not. However, I did predict it'd be higher. Our players play braver and bolder. It sparked our team... not to mention the Joe was rocking.

May= the best 1/2 million money can buy.

Enough of the correlating, please.

Not too shab for a 38 year-old. Should have had a goal too.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>&">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Guest micah

Did you guys hear that crowd last night? It's clear that Red Wing fans love what Brad May brings to the team, just like they loved Aaron Downey before him. I suspect that if this poll were taken at the Joe, it would have been even more lopsided in favor of enforcers.

Guest E_S_A_D
Did you guys hear that crowd last night? It's clear that Red Wing fans love what Brad May brings to the team, just like they loved Aaron Downey before him. I suspect that if this poll were taken at the Joe, it would have been even more lopsided in favor of enforcers.

Add the horns, and it was louder than any goal's response I've heard recently.

I think you're missing the point that no one on this board has started a thread to deny May's contribution to this team. Why do you still feel the need to argue against an imagined opponent?

Hockey fans love fighting, this has never been denied. People loved Downey and love May because they were and are Red Wings not because they perform one function or another. Can you say the same about yourself and guys like Williams?

And technically the poll was taken by every fan watching the game on FSD and last time I checked (which admittedly was not the final results from the post game but actually the last time they showed it during the game) Zetterberg and Datsyuk were far more highly rated than May. This is not a knock on May, but a knock at your premise that every Red Wings fan is on your side of this contrived debate.

Who exactly are you arguing against, here?

Guest micah
I think you're missing the point that no one on this board has started a thread to deny May's contribution to this team. Why do you still feel the need to argue against an imagined opponent?

What on earth are you going on about? I wasn't arguing with anyone, I was stating that it's clear that wings fans love fighting and enforceres, nothing more, nothing less.

Hockey fans love fighting, this has never been denied. People loved Downey and love May because they were and are Red Wings not because they perform one function or another. Can you say the same about yourself and guys like Williams?

Did you love Uwe Krupp? Ulf Sammuelsson? Cory Kross? I didn't. (Wel;l, except for Cory's bitchin' fight)

And technically the poll was taken by every fan watching the game on FSD and last time I checked (which admittedly was not the final results from the post game but actually the last time they showed it during the game) Zetterberg and Datsyuk were far more highly rated than May. This is not a knock on May, but a knock at your premise that every Red Wings fan is on your side of this contrived debate.

I am not aware of any "pro-enforcer or not" poll being conducted by FSD. Got a link?

Who exactly are you arguing against, here?

I'll chime in on this one, and this isn't directed at you Doc. However, last year or sometime before there was a thread about attendance problems at the Joe. Being that I live in Metro Detroit, frequent games and bars, I had to comment that blue collar Detroit hockey fans love their rougher edge players. I mentioned that having a player like this would help attendance problems at the Joe, however wouldn't be the be-all/end-all solution to sell outs. I was then proceeded to get hazed by some posters (not to be named) in the traditional hockey markets of Texas, California, and somewhere else that this type of player would have NO impact on fans in this area, their interest in the team, or attendance at the game. I continue to disagree.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears

What on earth are you going on about? I wasn't arguing with anyone, I was stating that it's clear that wings fans love fighting and enforceres, nothing more, nothing less.

Fine. I agree, that it's clear Red Wings fans enjoy fighting. There's probably no point in the last twenty to thirty years where this statement has not been true. It's so clear that no one has ever denied it, and without it being said everyone already knows it.

Did you love Uwe Krupp? Ulf Sammuelsson? Cory Kross? I didn't. (Wel;l, except for Cory's bitchin' fight)

Gee, I don't know, were they ever Red Wings? You have your answer, but I haven't gotten mine.

I am not aware of any "pro-enforcer or not" poll being conducted by FSD. Got a link?

Yeah, I suppose you could say I was pushing that, but given that everyone who does the text voting voted for the goal-scorer over the fighter, I'm just offering that as anecdotal evidence that maybe it's not as highly rated by everyone, but in no way was meant to disparage May's contribution. Honestly though, he'd probably have been the winner and the #1 star if Auger hadn't robbed him of that goal.

I'll chime in on this one, and this isn't directed at you Doc. However, last year or sometime before there was a thread about attendance problems at the Joe. Being that I live in Metro Detroit, frequent games and bars, I had to comment that blue collar Detroit hockey fans love their rougher edge players. I mentioned that having a player like this would help attendance problems at the Joe, however wouldn't be the be-all/end-all solution to sell outs. I was then proceeded to get hazed by some posters (not to be named) in the traditional hockey markets of Texas, California, and somewhere else that this type of player would have NO impact on fans in this area, their interest in the team, or attendance at the game. I continue to disagree.

I remember following these debates. What was most annoying was that there was gross misidentification of the true problem in Detroit, Michigan by people with an agenda against the Wings. Don Cherry has never hidden his contempt for this team. Fine, he's a Leaf fan. But he tries to wrap his contempt in this "traditional hockey" flag and unfortunately people bought it. Wings attendance wasn't hurt by a lack of fights, but by a lack of winning, including the entire '04-'05 season where they didn't even win a single game, and the loss to Edmonton.

When a guy like Cherry says the Wings need less players like Datsyuk and more players like Getzlaf, what he's really saying is the Wings need to finish low enough in the standings to be eligible to pick "big, tough, Canadians". Like much of the "enforcer" debate, it's not about more fights, but about an agenda, whether that be anti-Communism (which, although a good thing, is what I believe fueled Cherry's animus toward a team with a lot of Russians), or arm-chair management by internetters second-guessing one of the best GM's in sports (and that's solely based on statistics, not homerism).

Additionally, you'll notice that no one is questioning the Wings attendance issues anymore, because now everyone is enjoying the Michigan economy.

Guest micah
Gee, I don't know, were they ever Red Wings? You have your answer, but I haven't gotten mine.

My answer was that I do not love all players the instant they become Wings. I love the team, but there have been Wings that I didn't like - guys like the 2 I mentioned. I don't really have any oppinion on williams, he is what he is. I like Cleary alot, does that count? Zetterberg too.

My answer was that I do not love all players the instant they become Wings. I love the team, but there have been Wings that I didn't like - guys like the 2 I mentioned. I don't really have any oppinion on williams, he is what he is. I like Cleary alot, does that count? Zetterberg too.

Well, I appreciate your honesty. I'm not saying I was a huge Cory Cross fanatic or anything, all I'm saying is that I support the team, from the management down to the Mays and Williamses.

In previous discussions, the unflagging support of the GM's decisions appeared to some to be anti-fighter. I'll be all with you in arguing for adding gritty guys like Moen or Grier, that is, until KH signs Eaves and Williams. At that point I trust KH to have made the better choice. As was evidenced earlier, that is where much of the disagreement between the two sides actually lies.

At least we can both be happy that May is a Red Wing.

Edit: Your signature is actually something that I've always appreciated about the Red Wings. When the team is being spanked badly, they don't go out there and instigate pointless scraps or go after star players. They don't usually instigate the little helmet twisting spats that teams like Vancouver and St. Louis do. This may be another point upon which we disagree, but I find that to be a very respectable practice. Mostly because I hate when some team starts that crap and injures one of our guys. What May and Barch did last night, although clearly staged (visor/no visor) was a good contribution to the game.

Edited by Chunkylover

Guest micah
Edit: Your signature is actually something that I've always appreciated about the Red Wings. When the team is being spanked badly, they don't go out there and instigate pointless scraps or go after star players. They don't usually instigate the little helmet twisting spats that teams like Vancouver and St. Louis do. This may be another point upon which we disagree, but I find that to be a very respectable practice. Mostly because I hate when some team starts that crap and injures one of our guys. What May and Barch did last night, although clearly staged (visor/no visor) was a good contribution to the game.

I think I agree.

I am of the oppinion that any and all post-whistle contact that is not immediately followed by a fight should be a 2 minute delay-of-game penalty. If you're going to fight, do it. If you're not going to fight, don't facewash a guy, don't push and shove, don't hold a guy down, don't stand there and jaw at someone, skate back to the bench with a little class. If someone comitted an act that deserves physical punnishmens, then drop your gloves and deliver that punnishment, if not, don't waste everyone's time with that facewash crap.

Guest E_S_A_D

It's always interesting to go back and read various posters posts regarding whether or not Brad May should have been offered a contract. Personally, your respected E_S_A_D thought he should and what a bargain he has been. $500k, one of the most respected guys in the locker room, and winning an astounding 70% of his fights this year at age 38.

Ladies and Gentlemen that voted LGW is pro-enforcer; please pat yourself on the back and read your posts in this thread. E_S_A_D gives the Golden Star to several of you for your vast hockey knowledge, superior understanding of the roots of hockey gamesmanship, and entertainment.

Brad May, LGW Salutes you, kind sir.

Guest E_S_A_D
I think you had your martinis BEFORE you posted this because it is just silly.

Brad May doesn't even have a contract with the Wings. He is unlikely to see the ice at the Joe at all. Do you really think that we are going to sign May and bring him up while we are sending Abdelkader to Grand Rapids?

And the results of the poll were what? What was the tally and how many of the registered users voted?

whatever...

Martinis never lie Chris.

It's always interesting to go back and read various posters posts regarding whether or not Brad May should have been offered a contract. Personally, your respected E_S_A_D thought he should and what a bargain he has been. $500k, one of the most respected guys in the locker room, and winning an astounding 70% of his fights this year at age 38.

Ladies and Gentlemen that voted LGW is pro-enforcer; please pat yourself on the back and read your posts in this thread. E_S_A_D gives the Golden Star to several of you for your vast hockey knowledge, superior understanding of the roots of hockey gamesmanship, and entertainment.

cool_story_bro.jpg

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm guessing you predicted our 9 injured players (what an enforcer!!!) that forced him into a regular player position on the current team too?

Oops... guess you forgot that detail.

Edited by CaliWingsNut