• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest E_S_A_D

LGW is Pro-Enforcer: The Results are In.

Rate this topic

Why was this thread started again? It's the same as the other one, except now people can't vote. My impression was that the first one was deleted, and for good reason.

It was started to tell the anti-enforcer people that they lost the poll.

Also, it had been a whole 2 days since we had an enforcer thread, and there's no hockey until Thursday for the Wings.

For the record I though May looked pretty good in the few games he got to try out. I wouldn't mind him on the team at all. However the only significant impact on the team he will have is for the trainer.

Guest E_S_A_D

Shoreline and Shaman, 'neat' responses above. However, please keep this on topic of having an enforcer or not. Instead of the personal attacks about the thread... this is the exact same BS that caused the last thread to close.

Anyways, back on track, I think Thursday's game will be a real indicator if you see May signed/ up with the Wings anytime soon. Win or lose, it'll be more the 'spark' the Wings show than anything else.

Also, Shoreline; call me old fashioned, but there are kids and women that read this forum... Personally speaking, I don't think the little perverted gif images are that cool.

Edited by E_S_A_D

Guest Shoreline
Shoreline and Shaman, 'neat' responses above. However, please keep this on topic of having an enforcer or not. Instead of the personal attacks about the thread... this is the exact same BS that caused the last thread to close.

Anyways, back on track, I think Thursday's game will be a real indicator if you see May signed/ up with the Wings anytime soon. Win or lose, it'll be more the 'spark' the Wings show than anything else.

Also, Shoreline; call me old fashioned, but there are kids and women that read this forum... Personally speaking, I don't think the little perverted gif images are that cool.

If the image is too over your head, it means you're having a **** over yourself (i.e. far too self absorbed and into yourself) and your opinions about hockey. It's about the topic, for sure. Better luck next time.

Edited by Shoreline

I don't know if we ever *neeeeeed* an enforcer to win, but they are most beneficial durring the regular season. That's why the Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins played their enforcer durring the reg season and not in the playoffs. Just like the last Wings team to win it all, and the Ducks before them.

Please don't use that phrase on this board. Yes the Pens won the Cup but they were not the best team in the league last year either in the regular season or the playoffs. They won because they got all the breaks plain and simple.

It was started to tell the anti-enforcer people that they lost the poll.

Also, it had been a whole 2 days since we had an enforcer thread, and there's no hockey until Thursday for the Wings.

By the way, what was the final score? I asked before and nobody answered. Is this kinda like the elections in Iran?

Please don't use that phrase on this board. Yes the Pens won the Cup but they were not the best team in the league last year either in the regular season or the playoffs. They won because they got all the breaks plain and simple.

umm...did you just say that the pens won the cup but shouldn't be referred to as stanley cup champions? Also I still don't think the wings need an enforcer per se. They obviously need to play with more energy but I think Helm will provide a spark when he comes back and he isn't exactly an enforcer.

Edited by Lidstrom for life

Guest micah
umm...did you just say that the pens won the cup but shouldn't be referred to as stanley cup champions?

When the Wings win, they win because they are unquestionably the best team in the league, with superirior skill, toughness, classiness, inteligence, coaching, management and fans to all other teams. When the Ducks or Penguins win, it's luck, cheating, Red Wing injurries or Gary Bettman. That's the impresion I get from reading the rants of some here, anyway.

Edited by micah

Guest micah
By the way, what was the final score? I asked before and nobody answered. Is this kinda like the elections in Iran?

I think that thread was yanked - last I saw, the score was c140 for an enforcer, c110 against.

Now's the part where you do your thing and question or downplay the results, just like you do for the Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins, led by Stanley Cup Champion Captain Sidney Crosby, protected and inspired throughout the regular season by Stanley Cup Champion Eric Godard.

Edited by micah

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm pro thug. I want a team of goons out there just whacking away at everything possible.

ESAD rocks my socks.

Truth: I think most of the enforcing crowd (not all) has headed to the east coast, and Detroit will not seriously make use of May. The dismantling of Anaheim, Burkes thuggifying Toronto, Emery & Pronger in Philly, and all in this last year go to show this.

As to the martini, ew. Get a real drink; maybe read what a cocktail is.

The modern martini (note: 1950 is modern in this concept) is an abomination compared to the actual flavor it should have.

I'm not a cocktail guy tho, so I'll take another pint of homebrewed mead, thanks.

Guest E_S_A_D
I'm pro thug. I want a team of goons out there just whacking away at everything possible.

ESAD rocks my socks.

Truth: I think most of the enforcing crowd (not all) has headed to the east coast, and Detroit will not seriously make use of May. The dismantling of Anaheim, Burkes thuggifying Toronto, Emery & Pronger in Philly, and all in this last year go to show this.

As to the martini, ew. Get a real drink; maybe read what a cocktail is.

The modern martini (note: 1950 is modern in this concept) is an abomination compared to the actual flavor it should have.

I'm not a cocktail guy tho, so I'll take another pint of homebrewed mead, thanks.

The brew comes after the dirty martini's for the record... Three Olives Martini's of course.

I think that thread was yanked - last I saw, the score was c140 for an enforcer, c110 against.

Now's the part where you do your thing and question or downplay the results, just like you do for the Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins, led by Stanley Cup Champion Captain Sidney Crosby, protected and inpired throughout the regular season by Stanley Cup Champion Eric Godard.

Quite the romantic statement.

Does anyone really think Ian Lapperierre avoids checking Nick Lidstrom because he might have to face Aaron Downey?

Is Chris Pronger really going to stop cross-checking Dan Cleary if Clears fights him?

If you think so you need look no further than the last two seasons to find that your beliefs are incorrect.

No enforcer is ever going to stop a cheap shot against a star player. Corey Perry is always going to run goaltenders and Hall of Fame defensemen, without regard to having to fight Drake or Ericsson. Outside of the mere entertainment value of a fight, the effects of an enforcer are highly over-stated.

The real problem is that no one is really anti-fighting, just like no one is pro-landmines. Ken Holland would love to have a fighter who could contribute something to the team, but Brendan Shanahans don't come around in the late first or second round. The issue isn't fighters vs. non-fighters, it's about the effective use of limited cap space.

One last point: how does one compare the one true contribution of a fighter, which is the intangible momentum swing that comes from a good brawl with the intangible of a united veteran locker room?

Does anyone really think Ian Lapperierre avoids checking Nick Lidstrom because he might have to face Aaron Downey?

Is Chris Pronger really going to stop cross-checking Dan Cleary if Clears fights him?

If you think so you need look no further than the last two seasons to find that your beliefs are incorrect.

No enforcer is ever going to stop a cheap shot against a star player. Corey Perry is always going to run goaltenders and Hall of Fame defensemen, without regard to having to fight Drake or Ericsson. Outside of the mere entertainment value of a fight, the effects of an enforcer are highly over-stated.

The real problem is that no one is really anti-fighting, just like no one is pro-landmines. Ken Holland would love to have a fighter who could contribute something to the team, but Brendan Shanahans don't come around in the late first or second round. The issue isn't fighters vs. non-fighters, it's about the effective use of limited cap space.

One last point: how does one compare the one true contribution of a fighter, which is the intangible momentum swing that comes from a good brawl with the intangible of a united veteran locker room?

You're right, the instigator penalty takes care of that on it's own.

Guest E_S_A_D

See my responses added to your quote below in bold:

No. Did he do it again after Downey beat him to a pulp though? No.

Not Clears, but if May roughs him up maybe. You clearly don't understand an enforcer's purpose. Cleary would not have to fight him... you see? Btw, Pronger was interviewed on ESPN last night about fighting. He said it well: players police themselves, refs are there to ensure stability.

Sidney Crosby would disagree with this statement. He runs more players than anyone in the past two years, yet never has to answer the bell. That's because Laraque or Godard have been there to cover him.

I'd prefer both, thank you.