• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WpgMikos

What does having only 9,100 fans look like?

Rate this topic

Once again, I would attribute a good share of the trouble filling seats with moving the rink out to the middle of nowhere and then charging high ticket prices. I am Very happy with how the Yotes have looked throughout this young season. I watch and or listen to most coyote games, but just can't make it out to the west side a couple times a month with times as rough as they are now. I will be at the arena to see the Wings on Thursday, so hopefully they give us a run for our money and make it a good game.

Be sure to take pictures at the game.

With so many local people saying that the drive just isn't worth it, whose idea was it in the first place to move the arena way out to Glendale? Do you think if they built a light rail system, this would mean that more people from Scottsdale would head on down to Glendale?

Be sure to take pictures at the game.

With so many local people saying that the drive just isn't worth it, whose idea was it in the first place to move the arena way out to Glendale? Do you think if they built a light rail system, this would mean that more people from Scottsdale would head on down to Glendale?

We have light rail in Phoenix, but it really doesn't go anywhere (downtown PHX to Tempe). There are proposals to extend it out to Westgate so people can ride it to Cardinals and Coyotes games. I don't know what the cost would be, but I don't see the taxpayers wanting to pony up any more money for this albatross. We need to improve our highway system first.

I bet this will hasten the franchise's move. It hurts the game for this to go on.

The Coyotes have beaten the Stanley Cup winners (Pittsburg) and the Stanley Cup losers (Detroit). They beat top teams like the Bruins and San Jose. They beat LA which got off to a fast start. If they keep winning, the crowds will get bigger. You gotta remember, people who live in Arizona aren't from Arizona. Lots of transplants from the midwest. There are many Wings fans, but I only see them when the Coyotes play the Wings, so, if those Wings fans in Phoenix love hockey, then you'd think that they'd want the Coyotes to stay, and if they want NHL hockey in the Valley of the Sun, they'd go to more games. So, I'd encourage all you Wings, Hawks, Pittsburg, Minnesota, and Canada transplants to help keep the Coyotes in Phoenix and go to the games. We had a whiteout for the first home game, so there are plenty of hockey fans here. A native Arizonan doesn't give a damn about hockey, but the transplants do, so get to the games, not to support the Coyotes, but to support NHL hockey.

As for last nights game, The Coyotes outskated the Wings. Their speed was no match for Detroit. The in your face defense they play is suffocating. Wings fans have to stop blaming the refs for 'bad calls'........those two 'garbage' goals were good calls......the replays show that the puck was still in the referees sight. There was no goalie interference on Osgood........a Detroit player pushed the Coyotes player into him. Tell it like it is.......the Coyotes were the better team last night. The Wings didn't touch the puck in the overtime period. Osgood is a great goalie, but the winning goal was a bad one that he totallly misplayed. He's a money goalie and if the Wings make the playoffs, he'll come thru.

Oh yeah, if you don't like this post, please don't give me the only reply that I hear when the Wings or the Yankees lose.........."How many rings you got?"..........We have none, but this we know: Coyotes 3, Wings 2..........Coyotes 6-2-0, Wings below .500..........deal with it.

We have light rail in Phoenix, but it really doesn't go anywhere (downtown PHX to Tempe). There are proposals to extend it out to Westgate so people can ride it to Cardinals and Coyotes games. I don't know what the cost would be, but I don't see the taxpayers wanting to pony up any more money for this albatross. We need to improve our highway system first.

Every time I go to a Wings.....er... Coyotes game (I only go to the games when the wings are in town) There are more wings fans than Coyotes fans. We pay $110 for 2 tickets in the corner near the Coyotes goal about 20 rows up.

I don't think we're going to make it to any games this year though, If they cut the price of ticktes in half it would help, but honestly Phoenix's big problem is the location of their arena. Its in a city called Glendale, which is about 50 miles west of Phoenix. To get to the games, which start at 7PM you have to brave rush hour traffic, and it can take sometimes up to 2 hours to get out there.

The Coyotes should've held out till they could've got an arena in Mesa or Scottsdale. The more affluent parts of town would draw better crowds.

In fact I think the 'Yotes would've done better if they would've stayed in the same arena they were in before.

as a wing fan in az, i HOPE the team leaves, as much as it would pain me to lose hockey here in arizona. this state doesn't like hockey & yes, the majority of fans are the transplants like me, but i'd rather the team be moved to where they can truely be appreciated. i didn't go to last night game becuase i had to work, but i'm going to the habs game next month, the wings in jan and the devils in jan. then i'm done. don't care if the yotes have a winning season - don't care about them & i'm a hockey fan! although i admit, if they do make the playoffs, i'll probably go just to see playoff hockey -but i'll have to see who they play to see who i'll cheer for. they put the arena in glendale, which from the east side where i live is like a two hour drive. no thanks - got to be teams that are WORTH going to see. poor sad yotes.

To get to the games, which start at 7PM you have to brave rush hour traffic, and it can take sometimes up to 2 hours to get out there.

FALSE. If you're driving from anywhere in the Valley, your drive is an hour MAX. If it's taking you 2 hours to get to the games, you're either A) Driving from Prescott or Tucson or B) Riding your bike. I work in N. Scottsdale, on the other side of town and it takes me about 45 minutes to get the Glendale Arena. Rush hour in Phoenix isn't THAT bad.

as a wing fan in az, i HOPE the team leaves, as much as it would pain me to lose hockey here in arizona. this state doesn't like hockey & yes, the majority of fans are the transplants like me, but i'd rather the team be moved to where they can truely be appreciated. i didn't go to last night game becuase i had to work, but i'm going to the habs game next month, the wings in jan and the devils in jan. then i'm done. don't care if the yotes have a winning season - don't care about them & i'm a hockey fan! although i admit, if they do make the playoffs, i'll probably go just to see playoff hockey -but i'll have to see who they play to see who i'll cheer for. they put the arena in glendale, which from the east side where i live is like a two hour drive. no thanks - got to be teams that are WORTH going to see. poor sad yotes.

That made me really sad for Phoenix and for the whole NHL last night. To think that the announced attendance for the Wings was nearly DOUBLE what they had for their 2nd home game of the year, and it still looked extremely empty. If they draw like that for the Wings, you can only imagine what will happen when they play teams like Nashville or Columbus that don't travel well.

I visited AZ for the first time last year, and I don't think I realized the impact of WHERE they put that stadium in Arizona. Ultimately, I don't think the team could've survived there anyway, but if you're going to put it all the way out there, that's not even giving them a chance. Stupid.

A native Arizonan doesn't give a damn about hockey, but the transplants do, so get to the games, not to support the Coyotes, but to support NHL hockey.

If we're supporting NHL Hockey and not the Coyotes, how about advancing the move of the team to someplace that's going to be profitable so that the rest of the teams don't have to keep siphoning off money to keep them alive? That sounds pretty supportive of the NHL as a whole to me.

That made me really sad for Phoenix and for the whole NHL last night. To think that the announced attendance for the Wings was nearly DOUBLE what they had for their 2nd home game of the year, and it still looked extremely empty. If they draw like that for the Wings, you can only imagine what will happen when they play teams like Nashville or Columbus that don't travel well.

I visited AZ for the first time last year, and I don't think I realized the impact of WHERE they put that stadium in Arizona. Ultimately, I don't think the team could've survived there anyway, but if you're going to put it all the way out there, that's not even giving them a chance. Stupid.

O like the Yotes. They're my second favorite team. Personally being from SoCal I'd like to see them go to San Diego or maybe Las Vegas would be cool.

Every time I go to a Wings.....er... Coyotes game (I only go to the games when the wings are in town) There are more wings fans than Coyotes fans. We pay $110 for 2 tickets in the corner near the Coyotes goal about 20 rows up.

I don't think we're going to make it to any games this year though, If they cut the price of ticktes in half it would help, but honestly Phoenix's big problem is the location of their arena. Its in a city called Glendale, which is about 50 miles west of Phoenix. To get to the games, which start at 7PM you have to brave rush hour traffic, and it can take sometimes up to 2 hours to get out there.

The Coyotes should've held out till they could've got an arena in Mesa or Scottsdale. The more affluent parts of town would draw better crowds.

In fact I think the 'Yotes would've done better if they would've stayed in the same arena they were in before.

Are you kidding me? What do you do a tour around city before getting to glendale? 50 Miles west of Phoenix? It's right next to Phoenix! During the school year I'm in Tempe (the east side) and for last nights game I left at 6:15 and got there at 6:55. It's maybe 15 minutes slower if you take the 10 (or 202 to the 10) the whole way. I jump on the 17 and take that to the 10 on the west side, the 17 is going about 65 by 6. The stretch from the 202 to the 17 on the 10 is the worst, but still not a two hour delay like you describe it. And don't tell me its way worse were you're at because I can get to the east side of Mesa in 20 mins from campus.

5,000 people at an NHL game?

not good.

but should the lack of fan interest really be a motive to move a franchise?

im aware of the bankruptcy,

loss of fan involvement...

maybe the writings on the wall

The season opener is starting to look more and more like an anomaly as the crowd size has significantly decreased almost every home game the Yotes have played since that opening night crowd of 17,532.

So right now the Coyotes are averaging 9,407 at home. If you remove the opening night crowd from this total, the average nightly crowd to see a Phoenix game is 8,052. Of course this is the announced crowd, which is generally not reflective of the actual crowds in attendance.

What happens if the Yotes start losing?

Guest CaliWingsNut
The Coyotes attendance is a lot like Jay Leno's ratings.

Ohh don't worry he'll get blackmailed soon too. :rolleyes:

At least some of the Yotes bloggers are attempting to get the troops out to the game.

From Coyotes Hip Check:

I don’t know what it will take to get you people to get off your wallets and out to the arena. No more excuses. The NHL has done its part to save your team. The players are doing their part to make the team worth your entertainment dollars. (The Coyotes are 9 - 4 -0 on the hot start, 2nd in the division, 4th in the conference and 5th in the league)You have no excuse if you are any kind of fan of the sport or even a true citizen of Arizona. This is OUR team! But if you don’t get out there and support it, there will be no more hockey in Arizona. I hate to be a ***** about it but seriously? You absentee fans are starting to piss me off. If you just can’t afford it because of the economic times, I can certainly feel your pain, but I see enough of you on the boards and sites spouting off about not wanting to support a team that may be gone in a year or other such nonsense… if you won’t come out to do your part, it is a self fufilling prophecy. Don’t be part of the problem folks… be part of the solution. Tippett says it all the time, be part of the pack, do your best and the rest will fall into place. If you can only make 1 or 2 games so be it, if you can afford a package do it. The team needs you and they need you NOW!

Yotes are now infecting other healthy teams. (kidding).

Adrian Dater calls out the Avalanche fan base. He says the real attendance figure last night was around 8,500 (announced around 11,000).

My thought is that the Avs made a mistake not adjusting the ticket prices. 15th place team last season, weren't expected to do anything this season and average ticket price is 2nd highest in the NHL at $71 per ticket.

Yotes are now infecting other healthy teams. (kidding).

Adrian Dater calls out the Avalanche fan base. He says the real attendance figure last night was around 8,500 (announced around 11,000).

My thought is that the Avs made a mistake not adjusting the ticket prices. 15th place team last season, weren't expected to do anything this season and average ticket price is 2nd highest in the NHL at $71 per ticket.

Colorado is a good hockey market, I didn't know they were having attendance woes. Especially with the start they've had.