• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SweWings

Axelsson goes rogue - heading to Sweden

Rate this topic

I'd have left, too. Detroit is like a retirement home for old players with declining value today. Holland and Babcock hold onto guys like Draper, Holmstrom, and Maltby until they die. I don't mind letting a hall of famer like Yzerman play one or two years too long, because he's a fricking legend. But these other guys have to go and make room for the kids. Otherwise, this kind of stuff should be expected. I wouldn't want to waste away in the Red Wings ORGANIZATION when I could play for the New York Islanders or Florida Panthers or some team that embraces youth.

You really think it would be a good idea to let all these young kids just come into the NHL? Why do you think the Islanders and Panters suck so bad? It's because they don't have the assets to develop their youth. Thats why Phoenix is doing good this year, because they put their young kids in the minors and went and got some "old retirement guys"... Draper is having a great year this year and is more effective then anybody from Grand Rapids would be...Axelsson is nothing but a little baby who doesn't want to work to get to the NHL.

I'd have left, too. Detroit is like a retirement home for old players with declining value today. Holland and Babcock hold onto guys like Draper, Holmstrom, and Maltby until they die. I don't mind letting a hall of famer like Yzerman play one or two years too long, because he's a fricking legend. But these other guys have to go and make room for the kids. Otherwise, this kind of stuff should be expected. I wouldn't want to waste away in the Red Wings ORGANIZATION when I could play for the New York Islanders or Florida Panthers or some team that embraces youth.

The retirement home in Detroit made it to game 7 of the cup finals, won the Cup, and made it to the conference finals the last three years.

But how's that working out for those youth-movement franchises?

In today's economy with what the US Dollar has sunk to.... no.

Not sure I'd agree. $300,000 is still a big sum of money to tons of people in the US, and there would be lots of people who are struggling, especially around Christmas, willing to do crazy things to make that much in a year. If I was an NHL rookie with a base salary of $300,000 for my first year, I'd be thrilled. As opposed to players who say that upwards of $5-8 million dollars a year isn't enough.

As for whoever said that playing on a youthful team with next to no veteran leadership who have won the Cup 4 times and know what it takes to win with invaluable knowledge to pass on is better than starting your career with a team WITH that leadership.... :blink:

Did Axelsson suffer a near-fatal car crash that caused him to go through extended rehab just to be able to walk again, let alone skate or compete for an NHL job? Grigs did.

WOW talk about late to the party, go read my post about how all of those things were said both before and after the accident!

In reply to the first bolded part: Did I ever say I would personally do that? No? Then quit throwing words in my mouth. If you really think that is what I said, or that was my arguement then your reading comprhension skills are on par with my next door neighbor with downs syndrome.

hahah insults good way to back up your argument, but if you are agreeing with his actions or even supporting them you in some way shape or form see them as legit actionsI infered you would act the same. Sorry I infered you would do it. But that does raise a question, why are you offended I assumed you would do what he did? If his actions (based off of family and other reasons you stated) are legit why would you doing them be a bad thing, or me saying you would be offensive?

Bolded part two: Nowhere did I say it was his lifelong dream, but unlike your status of being a virgin, things often change. You neglected to mention that at a young age, he almost ******* died, and has to bascially support his entire family. Is it really that unfathomable to choose to stay in a league that helps you in essentially every aspect of life (Pay, Familiarity, close to family, could actually socilize with people rather than wandering around not knowing a lick of english)?

Again read the quote were I stated everything I said about him was stated before and after the accident. I empathize with the guy, the accident did end his chances, but before the accident ever happened he was considered light in the effort and heart departments and that is what I questioned.

Yet my reading skills need help?

Virgin, hahaha, please, any how insults never help your argument, they only make it look like you are frustrated from losing an argument.

I stand by my eval, he was before the accident and after not the most dedicated or hard working hockey player.

As for his contract, I do not know the details on hand, but I assumed that he did not recieve full payment of his contract. It's essentially as if he quit a job, something that normal people do each and everyday. The Wing's did not spend money to smuggle him like Fedorov, and he played a handfull of games in North America. It is not as if a great deal of resources were used on this guy.

First comparing professional athletes to regular working people is laughable. Because so much that professional athletes deal with on a daily basis relates to the working folks.

How many people quit their jobs 2 steps away from their dream job. How many of them volunteer to leave their home to go that far away, only to bail (my assessment of Dick here) when times get tough.

One of my best friends quit college a semester away from graduating you know what I call him when we talk about it, a chump. Doesn't mean I hate the guy, hell I love him like a brother. But now he ******* about not be able to get jobs in that field, how none of the jobs he gets are fulfilling, blah, blah, blah and I say the same thing to him, you quit on it, you deal with it!

Bolded part three: Indeed is one word.

My bad! LOL! Is this the best you had, calling me retarded, a virgin, and pointing out my spelling mistakes (I have enough of them on here daily to keep you busy if you really want!) really strong arguments.

Now if I had dogged on Grigs for the way he should up to GR, then you all could have said something. But that was not my reference you all assumed it was, Grigs coming over and not living up to expectations would be the fault of the accident, having a poor work ethic from the jump has nothing to do with the accident!

Now I am done derailing this thread with bad jokes/insults about my virginity, mental capabilities, spelling and grigs.

If you want to go back to talking about Axelsson fine, but I am done defending what was a known opinion of the kid before he ever got in the car accident, just because he had a horrific ordeal doesn't mean his back story changed any!

Edited by Opie

In reply to the first bolded part: Did I ever say I would personally do that? No? Then quit throwing words in my mouth. If you really think that is what I said, or that was my arguement then your reading comprhension skills are on par with my next door neighbor with downs syndrome.

Bolded part two: Nowhere did I say it was his lifelong dream, but unlike your status of being a virgin, things often change. You neglected to mention that at a young age, he almost ******* died, and has to bascially support his entire family. Is it really that unfathomable to choose to stay in a league that helps you in essentially every aspect of life (Pay, Familiarity, close to family, could actually socilize with people rather than wandering around not knowing a lick of english)?

As for his contract, I do not know the details on hand, but I assumed that he did not recieve full payment of his contract. It's essentially as if he quit a job, something that normal people do each and everyday. The Wing's did not spend money to smuggle him like Fedorov, and he played a handfull of games in North America. It is not as if a great deal of resources were used on this guy.

Bolded part three: Indeed is one word.

Do you find any irony in the bolded posts above?

You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house.

I really hope you go through a near lethal car accident that makes you practically immobile for several months, and then even attempt to do anything remotely physical two years later. I'll be the guy laughing at you.

This is just a little harsh don't you think. Please people he is a kid who wants the NHL and thinks he is good enough to step in there right away. Maybe if the origination would not subject all their top prospects like this they might learn something from the Vets at the NHL level that could get their heads on straight. Lord know with the amount of injuries the team has had this year and the number of players leaving in the off season he could have been given a shot to stick with the club out of camp maybe it would have been a different story.

Please refrain from wishing harm on another human because he does not want to play Hockey in North America or at all it's just a game.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
This is just a little harsh don't you think. Please people he is a kid who wants the NHL and thinks he is good enough to step in there right away. Maybe if the origination would not subject all their top prospects like this they might learn something from the Vets at the NHL level that could get their heads on straight. Lord know with the amount of injuries the team has had this year and the number of players leaving in the off season he could have been given a shot to stick with the club out of camp maybe it would have been a different story.

Please refrain from wishing harm on another human because he does not want to play Hockey in North America or at all it's just a game.

:rolleyes:

Read Opie's first post, then re-read my post. I am 99% sure you miscomprehended who that post was intended for.

Pretty sure that part was intended for me!

EDIT: Ezbake already took care of this!

Edited by Opie

Anything new here?

Can't be bothered with links and stuff but he got owned. He was in Sweden and was trying to fix something with Färjestad. They didn't want to proceed without some kind of agreement from Detroit, which they had refused and continue to refuse to give. There was some speculation that he might be fined/banned for some games. I'm sure he won't be called up in the near future and will definitely be in the doghouse for a while unless he turns his game around completely. So far this season he has gone from bad to worse to... well, I really didn't think he could do worse than being forced to stay with the Griffins but then he pulled his stunt...

I don't judge him too harshly but... not a smart move.

People, people, people. You are being too quick to judge this young man. He obviously has the talent to attract not only our European scouts but our management as well. I'm sure they spoke with his prior coaches before agreeing to sign him to a contract, even at the AHL level. Have a little faith in your organization. I once had a buddy back in the army who displayed all the signs of being a great soldier and future leader, just like this young man. Unfortunatly, he was stricken with the same awful affliction - MANGINACITUS!!! But, with a proper ass whoopin, he can be cured and become the piece of the puzzle that our organization thought that he was. HAVE FAITH!!! :blink:

I didn't get all of that,so I'll leave it to the Swedes. Pretty basic stuff though,hoping he'll play in Farjestad as soon as possible,happy to be back. Does he already know a lot of guys on the team etc.

He's also surprised to have come to Farjestad. (WTF,does he mean the team? He left on his own) And if I heard correctly it'll require some talks with Detroit if he's going to play the rest of the season there. He might've given some info about why he left,but that's the tough part for me. Mindfly?

Edited by FinRedWing

Guest mindfly

He never answer the question why, he avoids it all the time

"I don't wanna go into the details on why i left" blabla you ******.

Guest mindfly
I'm guessing they will let him play so that someone can see him and trade for him.

Yep they must reach an agreement before that though he said his agent and wings management are discussing this issue as we speak.

The retirement home in Detroit made it to game 7 of the cup finals, won the Cup, and made it to the conference finals the last three years.

But how's that working out for those youth-movement franchises?

Well, the Kings are doing well. The Sabers are doing well. The Islanders are on the rise. The Coyotes are having a strong start, even.

I'd say 50/50 so far. I'm not saying that Detroit needs to dump every player over 32 or something like that. I'm just saying that it would probably benefit Detroit more to have Ritola/Tatar/Leino learning how to be NHLers NOW than it would benefit Detroit to re-sign Holmstrom, Matlby, and May.

Well, the Kings are doing well. The Sabers are doing well. The Islanders are on the rise. The Coyotes are having a strong start, even.

I'd say 50/50 so far. I'm not saying that Detroit needs to dump every player over 32 or something like that. I'm just saying that it would probably benefit Detroit more to have Ritola/Tatar/Leino learning how to be NHLers NOW than it would benefit Detroit to re-sign Holmstrom, Matlby, and May.

How long have LA, BUF, and NYI been on the "rise", the Isle have since they drafted Dipietro, it has taken them what 7 years to "rise"? Buffalo was on the "rise" with Campbell, Hecht, Roy, etc.. not that long ago. LA has seen young talent come and go every year. If they are not in the top 5 of the year look for them to be sellers again at the deadline, in fact the only one of these teams I don't see has falling through is Buffalo, they have the deepest roster of the three you mentioned.

This is as close to a rebuilding year we may ever see in the Ilitch Red Wings and if it weren't for injuries this would be a hell of a lot easier rebuilding process!

Doing well for a year or two is nothing compared to what has happened in the old folks home known as Hockeytown!

Instead of youngsters learning to play this team is competing for championships and turning late draft picks into absolute treasures in GR.

I still don't understand how people complain about this org, sure some people will always hate certain players, Sammy and Huds for example, but what this org has done from top to bottom since 1987 or so is unreal!

Edited by Opie

Dick Axelsson W Suspended Dec 17

Latest News:

The Detroit Red Wings have suspended minor leaguer Dick Axelsson. Axelsson left the Red Wings farm team in Grand Rapids on the weekend. "He came in to see head coach Curt Fraser Friday, told him he was going back home, and Saturday he left," Wings assistant GM Jim Nill said. "We effected a suspension for breach of contact." The suspension should be in effect in Sweden unless the Red Wings sign a waver. We doubt that they will do this very quickly as Axelsson also left his Swedish team earlier in his career.