• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Miller Brew

Would you take Ilya Kovalchuk if Lidstrom retires?

Rate this topic

First, I realyl don't see LIdstrom retiring. Two, even if he did there is no way Kovalchuk comes to Detroit. Would I like it? Yeah sure, who wouldn't like it if we were simply talking the guy on yoru team and things like money, contract duration, and team depth didn't matter. For me, I would rather have the money spent in other ways and I think we've seen that historically with the Wings (post-cap).

Secondly, the Wings don't give up on home grown talent. Very rarely in the last decade or two have we shipped out a home grown talent, with Slava Kozlov being the exception. Despite how well he has done in Atlanta that Scott Stevens hit really changed him and truth be told he had expired in Detroit. The Wings just aren't in the business of developing players like Filppula or Ericsson and shipping them out of town. Not to mention they aren't in the business of resurrecting careers of players like Cleary to also ship them out of town as one poster suggested.

The Wings reward players who stick with them. They reward home grown talent who paid their dues in the AHL and who have worked their way into spots on their roster. With the exception of Hossa last year, who basically loved us off, I don't really expect to see any major free agent signings or trades coming to the Wings in the foreseeable future. The best we can hope for is a forward who can play alongside Datsyuk and a depth defensement to replace Lilja as his return from injury looks less and less likely as time goes on.

I know that a lot of ppl aren't that fond of him but I wouldn't mind a guy like Frolov coming in to play with Datsyuk. I also wouldn't mind Hudler returning to the Wings. The way Bertuzzi has turned out thus far I definitely wouldn't mind him being brough back either. If he wasn't snake bitten in the goal department early this year his goal total would be even more impressive than it already is.

Obviously it all depends on what some other forwards do. Hudler's return is a queston mark. Holmstrom returning is some what of a question mark. Whether we can get a guy like frolov to want to come is a question mark. I'd assume we'd have 2 of 3 work out for us and have a line up like:

Frolov/Bertuzzi - Datsuk - Holmstrom

Franzen - Zetterberg - Hudler/Bertuzzi

Cleary - Filppula - Leino/Abdelkader

Draper - Helm - Eaves

Miller

Something along those lines

I don't see him coming here. Holland isn't going trade depth for him. We would probably lose someone like Fil and Ericsson plus a couple picks to make that happen. Anyways, I'm pretty sure he'll stay in Atlanta. Kovy will be signed for big bucks, and the Thrashers get what they want.

It would be sweet though... Imagine Franzen-Datsyuk-Kovalchuk :o

I'd be willing to trade Fill and some combo of picks and another player for the chance to have a scoring winger like Kovy. The fact remains that the Wings have an excess @ the center position and could really use a right handed winger who is a natural goal scorer. Fill, the rights to Hudler, a prospect and a pick for Kovy? Will it happen? Doubtful. I wouldn't mind it. Not sure how you'd fit them all under the cap without a big discount from Nick Sr.

I'd be willing to trade Fill and some combo of picks and another player for the chance to have a scoring winger like Kovy. The fact remains that the Wings have an excess @ the center position and could really use a right handed winger who is a natural goal scorer. Fill, the rights to Hudler, a prospect and a pick for Kovy? Will it happen? Doubtful. I wouldn't mind it. Not sure how you'd fit them all under the cap without a big discount from Nick Sr.

No offense, but that would be just plain stupid. Why give up so much for a rental when he could possibly be had as an UFA in a few months for nothing?

Wings/Holland are not THAT desperate. I think this guy is going to be stubborn for any team to negotiate with (from what I've read). Not worth risking our talent for.

First, I realyl don't see LIdstrom retiring. Two, even if he did there is no way Kovalchuk comes to Detroit. Would I like it? Yeah sure, who wouldn't like it if we were simply talking the guy on yoru team and things like money, contract duration, and team depth didn't matter. For me, I would rather have the money spent in other ways and I think we've seen that historically with the Wings (post-cap).

Secondly, the Wings don't give up on home grown talent. Very rarely in the last decade or two have we shipped out a home grown talent, with Slava Kozlov being the exception. Despite how well he has done in Atlanta that Scott Stevens hit really changed him and truth be told he had expired in Detroit. The Wings just aren't in the business of developing players like Filppula or Ericsson and shipping them out of town. Not to mention they aren't in the business of resurrecting careers of players like Cleary to also ship them out of town as one poster suggested.

The Wings reward players who stick with them. They reward home grown talent who paid their dues in the AHL and who have worked their way into spots on their roster. With the exception of Hossa last year, who basically loved us off, I don't really expect to see any major free agent signings or trades coming to the Wings in the foreseeable future. The best we can hope for is a forward who can play alongside Datsyuk and a depth defensement to replace Lilja as his return from injury looks less and less likely as time goes on.

I know that a lot of ppl aren't that fond of him but I wouldn't mind a guy like Frolov coming in to play with Datsyuk. I also wouldn't mind Hudler returning to the Wings. The way Bertuzzi has turned out thus far I definitely wouldn't mind him being brough back either. If he wasn't snake bitten in the goal department early this year his goal total would be even more impressive than it already is.

Well, Kozlov, or the guy drafted ahead of him that year, Keith Primeau. We also let go of Martin Lapointe, said for many years to be the "next captain" of the Wings when he wanted too much money. There's other guys, like Fedorov and Kopecky who left in free agency, but yes, the Wings are more "loyal" than most organizations. So, I guess the actual rule is more like: "The Wings don't give up on homegrown talent, unless they can get a guy like Shanahan or Hasek in return." And since Kovalchuk is at that level of talent, that is what we're talking about.

But Kovalchuk's also a dick and a very one-dimensional player. He's a total personality clash with Datsyuk, and except for the year he played with Marc Savard, he's never really worked with a top-level setup man to get him the puck. He's more of a Ovechkin-type scorer who likes to carry the puck. Even Brett Hull, one of the greatest snipers of all time, didn't work well with Gretzky, one of the greatest assist guys of all time, b/c of the chemistry and differences in their games. I think Kovalchuk plays pretty much the same game whether he's on a line with Datsyuk or Todd White, but some guys (like Jonathan Cheechoo) are 50-goal scorers if they have Joe Thornton setting them up, and fringe NHL'ers if they don't.

Well, Kozlov, or the guy drafted ahead of him that year, Keith Primeau. We also let go of Martin Lapointe, said for many years to be the "next captain" of the Wings when he wanted too much money. There's other guys, like Fedorov and Kopecky who left in free agency, but yes, the Wings are more "loyal" than most organizations. So, I guess the actual rule is more like: "The Wings don't give up on homegrown talent, unless they can get a guy like Shanahan or Hasek in return." And since Kovalchuk is at that level of talent, that is what we're talking about.

I wasn't trying to say that the Wings never let hoem grown talent go. Maybe I didn't word it too well but I was tryign to get across the fact that normally the Wings don't let talent go unless there is a significant reason. I think Kozlov is the only real example (in recent history) I can think of that goes against this. But as far as Primeau, Federov, Lapointe and Kopecky go there were significant reasons to say good-bye to each.

Either way, you got the point. The Wings are a loyal organization. They are also one that rarely give up roster players for a potential rental player. Either way, I doubt Kovalchuk comes here.

I wasn't trying to say that the Wings never let hoem grown talent go. Maybe I didn't word it too well but I was tryign to get across the fact that normally the Wings don't let talent go unless there is a significant reason. I think Kozlov is the only real example (in recent history) I can think of that goes against this. But as far as Primeau, Federov, Lapointe and Kopecky go there were significant reasons to say good-bye to each.

Either way, you got the point. The Wings are a loyal organization. They are also one that rarely give up roster players for a potential rental player. Either way, I doubt Kovalchuk comes here.

Kozlov was let go for Hall of Fame goaltender Dominik Hasek.

No offense, but that would be just plain stupid. Why give up so much for a rental when he could possibly be had as an UFA in a few months for nothing?

Wings/Holland are not THAT desperate. I think this guy is going to be stubborn for any team to negotiate with (from what I've read). Not worth risking our talent for.

Totally agree that they should only do a deal such as the one I suggested if they can agree to an extension with Kovy.

Either way, to fit him in under the cap, I think Fill's contract would need to be moved.

Z and Pav can play center, and Franzen can as well. Helm and Abby are also natural centermen. Not sure what type of 2nd contract Helm and Abby would command, but probably not 3 mill cap hit.

Totally agree that they should only do a deal such as the one I suggested if they can agree to an extension with Kovy.

Either way, to fit him in under the cap, I think Fill's contract would need to be moved.

Z and Pav can play center, and Franzen can as well. Helm and Abby are also natural centermen. Not sure what type of 2nd contract Helm and Abby would command, but probably not 3 mill cap hit.

Williams and Lilja will be gone and Holmstrom's contract is set to expire. That should give the Wings over $3 million boost. I doubt Kovy will ever be a Wing either... but having that cap space sure makes things look good.

kovy has already stated multiple times hes not looking for money so if lidstrom does retire that opens 7.5mill not including if more players walk so if kovy signs at 7mill and has a chance to play with players like franzen datsyuk and zetterberg i think the odds of him coming to the D is better then we think its all a matter if holland wants to spend 7 mill on 1 guy or 3.5 and get 2

Guest Shoreline

Personally, I haven't seen enough of Kovalchuk to know if he's beyond my suspicion of a "larger than the team" mentality he might bring. He's certainly a good player, but just because someone scores goals doesn't mean they would be a perfect fit for this system. I think it would be worth a try though for a short term contract that he'd likely never bite on.

I'm going to take the conservative route and say, no. As much as I'd like to have him, that 7.5 mil of Lidstrom's would be a great place to start with rebuilding (filling in the gaps). As convenient as it would be to blow that money on a superstar player, it wouldn't solve many problems, like goaltending, and another defenseman.

I'm going to take the conservative route and say, no. As much as I'd like to have him, that 7.5 mil of Lidstrom's would be a great place to start with rebuilding (filling in the gaps). As convenient as it would be to blow that money on a superstar player, it wouldn't solve many problems, like goaltending, and another defenseman.

What problem is goaltending causing?

You really think that Jimmy Howard is the real deal and a long term solution?

If Holland and Co. didn't think so they probably wouldn't have invested so much into Howard, they'd likely had shipped him out and resigned Conkin... or even signed Cloutier or Craig Anderson. Holland decided Howard was the way to go.

You really think that Jimmy Howard is the real deal and a long term solution?

Honestly, considering the stats he's been posting... absolutely. A kid in his rookie year with stats that are close to the top tier goal tenders? Pretty sure it's not a fluke...

We need scoring, and if Lids retires, we will need a d-man.