• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

What would you give up for Kovalchuk

Rate this topic

ya chicago could do it but they would be worse off then detriot they would need to move sharp versteeg,sopel and baker or another guy just to make the room but could never afford to resign him next season so it would be dumb for them to move out those guys for one season. the wings on the other hand could move flip,holmstrom,lebda,meech and it wouldnt matter 3 are free agents at the end of the year anyway and if lidstrom retires we have an easier time resignin kovy or lidtrom signs a 1yr-1mill

Atlanta isn't going to take anyone that isn't of value, reasonably priced, and signed/re-signable.

So, they wouldn't even look at an offer including Holmstrom (UFA) Lebda (UFA) Meech (RFA) Williams (UFA) Bertuzzi (UFA)

As far as Chicago is concerned, they have to shed salary for next year no matter what and that's why Chicago would offer up Sharp, Versteeg, Sopel, Barker, etc.

They would get value for their playoff run and shed salary for next year. They're not worried so much about cap room for this year.

They have 8+ roster spots to fill and zero dollars to do so. They need to shed at least $3+ million for next year just to get below the current cap number.

So there's no chance of Chicago resigning Kovy.

Then... the Wings can sign Kovy in free-agency!

EDIT: Eureka!

Edited by e_prime

I always get a kick out of the posters who think it's possible to give up garbage to get a superstar. What makes people think that Leino, Meech, or Lebda would attract anyone? How is it in one thread we're talking about making space for those returning and putting one of those three on waivers, yet in another thread we talk about trading them for a superstar, 50 goal scorer? :lol:

Also, I keep hearing people say that Kovalchuk seems like the kind of guy that wouldn't sign for any less than the league maximum, and he's only in it for the money, and blah blah blah. Is there actually anything to back this up? I've never actually seen any evidence of Kovalchuk being overly greedy.

like i said there is an interview with kovalchuk saying he not in it for the money he just wants the years so i agree with you on that atlanta is regardless losing him come the end of the season, so teams arent gonna offer a datsyuk for kovalchuk when you can snag him in the offseason it comes down to who can offer the best non superstars and young guys

http://www.capgeek.com/cap_calculator.php

Don't know if this looks good to anyone else.

Edit: Link doesn't work never mind.

FORWARDS

* Ilya Kovalchuk ($9.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

* Todd Bertuzzi ($1.700m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m) / * Darren Helm ($1.100m)

* Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.800m) / * Drew Miller ($0.700m)

* Kirk Maltby ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

* Derek Meech ($0.700m) / * Doug Janik ($0.700m)

* Brett Lebda ($0.650m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.705m; CAP ROOM: $0.095m BONUSES: $0.000m

As long as the cap stays as is.

I like this one better:

* Ilya Kovalchuk ($7.500m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / * Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

* Justin Abdelkader ($0.975m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / * Drew Miller ($0.675m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) / * Darren Helm ($0.800m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

Ville Leino ($0.800m) / * Brad May ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

* Derek Meech ($0.500m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

* Doug Janik ($0.500m)[/font]

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 23; PAYROLL: $56.663m; CAP ROOM: $0.137m BONUSES: $0.000m

Edited by eva unit zero

This one might not be exactly realistic, but it's my ideals line-up while adding Kovalchuk.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES

FORWARDS

* Ilya Kovakchuk ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / * Todd Bertuzzi ($2.000m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

* Justin Abdelkader ($0.950m) / * Darren Helm ($0.850m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

* Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m) / * Kirk Maltby ($0.500m)

Ville Leino ($0.800m) / * Brad May ($0.500m) /

DEFENSEMEN

* Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.000m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

* Derek Meech ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 23; PAYROLL: $56.288m; CAP ROOM: $0.412m BONUSES: $0.000m

I think the line-up has good balance. As for the forwards: Holmstrom retires, Filppula gets moved in the trade for Kovalchuck and Williams isn't retained. Also, this line-up assumes that Hudler doesn't use his opt-out clause. Defense pretty much stays the same, but Lilja retires and Lebda isn't retained. I might've been a bit generous with some of the contracts.

Lidstrom drops to 4.000M, Bertuzzi gets a raise to 2.000M, Abdelkader and Helm go to 850K, and Miller and Eaves get 750K. Might not be as realistic as some of the other ones, but I like it.

Edited by Jesusberg

This one might not be exactly realistic, but it's my ideals line-up while adding Kovalchuk.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES

FORWARDS

* Ilya Kovakchuk ($7.000m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / * Todd Bertuzzi ($2.000m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

* Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / * Darren Helm ($0.850m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

* Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m) / * Kirk Maltby ($0.500m)

Ville Leino ($0.800m) / * Brad May ($0.500m) /

DEFENSEMEN

* Nicklas Lidstrom ($4.000m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

* Derek Meech ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 23; PAYROLL: $56.288m; CAP ROOM: $0.512m BONUSES: $0.000m

I think the line-up has good balance. As for the forwards: Holmstrom retires, Filppula gets moved in the trade for Kovalchuck and Williams isn't retained. Also, this line-up assumes that Hudler doesn't use his opt-out clause. Defense pretty much stays the same, but Lilja retires and Lebda isn't retained. I might've been a bit generous and some of the contracts.

Lidstrom drops to 4.000M, Bertuzzi gets a raise to 2.000M, Abdelkader and Helm go to 850K, and Miller and Eaves get 750K. Might not be as realistic as some of the other ones, but I like it.

Abdelkader is already at $850. He will likely go to just under $1m for 2-3 years, with Helm getting the $850 for a similar period.

The problem with trying to trade for him this season is that almost everyone with a chunky cap hit has a NTC. Given that we'd need to clear $7M+ in cap space, by default the only players left that fit that criteria are Filpulla + Kronwall, plus random skater. Plus either Hudlers rights and/or a 1st rounder.

And then we have to fill all those roster spots with yet more 500k players (something Holland has already bemoaned this season)

Abdelkader is already at $850. He will likely go to just under $1m for 2-3 years, with Helm getting the $850 for a similar period.

Ok, so add in like 150K for Abdelkader... I wasn't thinking about the next contract having to bump up for RFA players. It still works under the cap.

Also, if Bertuzzi were to command more than what Hudler's contract would be, I'd swap the two and try to cut wage elsewhere.

Edit: If it came down to it, I would take Janik over Meech with May IN the line-up... if they opt not to sign May I'd prefer Meech just because he can play forward and defense (not well, but still).

Edited by Jesusberg

I like this one better:

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.975m) / * Drew Miller ($0.675m)

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

The end of Lidström.

The price it would take to get him here for the off-season is simply not worth it. Totally not a Holland move, and totally not a move I would consider making. Players like Kovie always come at an inflated price. The only way we could get him is if he approached us Hossa-style and we gave him Lidstrom's cap hit.

The price it would take to get him here for the off-season is simply not worth it. Totally not a Holland move, and totally not a move I would consider making. Players like Kovie always come at an inflated price. The only way we could get him is if he approached us Hossa-style and we gave him Lidstrom's cap hit.

"The cost of getting him" is what would be necessary to actually fit Kovalchuk under the cap. I don't understand the rational it takes to think that signing Kovalchuk in the off season is going to be possible without making a couple moves. Players are getting raises and Lidstrom may or may not retire.

If Kovalchuk becomes a Wing, you'd have to shed salary and the only way to do that in a quick time frame would be sending it in return FOR Kovalchuk.

Guest lilja4mvp
I like this one better:

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.975m) / * Drew Miller ($0.675m)

DEFENSEMEN

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

are we double-shifting cleary so we can afford to bring your man-crush back from russia? ztuq2c.gif

Guest lilja4mvp

we'd still be stuck with draper's cap hit...so probably not happening. he'll play out his contract.

edit: oh you mean after next year? god i hope not. get maltby the f*** out of here, pronto.

Edited by lilja4mvp

Chicago Wants Kovalchuk?

Last week, ESPN's Pierre LeBrun presented a theory that the Blackhawks could get involved in trade talks with the Atlanta Thrashers for superstar winger Ilya Kovalchuk. For the uninitiated, Kovalchuk is one of the top wingers in the NHL. He's the textbook definition of sniper. He's only 26 years old, and has already scored 50 goals twice in his career.

Usually, I'd say no chance on this kind of deal, and ignore it like I do so many others, but when you really break it down, it's nearly a perfect deal for both teams.

It's no secret that the Blackhawks need to shed salary to be under the cap next season. Key players need to be resigned, and the Hawks will have to choose who stays and who goes. Atlanta needs to reach a contract with Kovalchuk, who's contract expires after this season, or risk losing him for nothing. A franchise as fragile as the Thrashers can not lose their only draw for nothing. GM Don Waddell has to either resign Kovalchuk, or pick up big talent in a deal. The Hawks are the team that can give them that talent.

For the Hawks to acquire Kovalchuk, it would almost certainly take some combination of two of these players: Patrick Sharp, Kris Versteeg, Cam Barker, and Dustin Byfuglien. Atlanta is also said to be after goaltending, so assume Corey Crawford would be thrown in as well, along with a pick here or there.

All of these players, with the exception of Crawford, have salaries in the $3 million range. Kovalchuk's cap hit is $6.4 million. The Hawks could rent Kovalchuk for a playoff run, and be an absolutely deadly team...easily the best on paper in the league, while solving their cap issues for next season in one fell swoop.

Admittedly, that's a huge package of players of a rent-a-player. Can the Hawks afford to make this trade? On paper, yes. The Hawks D can survive without Cam Barker. He's steadily improved his game, but Jordan Hendry has proven to be good enough to play every night. If a defenseman should get injured, it could pose a problem, but the Hawks do have some defensive depth in the minors, and have recently signed defensive prospect Shawn Lalonde, who could come up and play in an emergency.

Offensively, losing two of Sharp, Versteeg or Byfuglien looks bad, but remember Dave Bolland and Adam Burish are due back, and Kovalchuk alone will come close to matching the combined numbers of 2 of these 3.

Of couse no deal is perfect. The risk is the Hawks disrupting their almost unmatched team chemistry. Losing someone like Versteeg, Byfuglien, or most of all Sharp, could certainly hurt that chemistry. As they are currently constructed, the Hawks have as good a chance as anyone to win the Stanley Cup this season. A deal isn't necessary, but I definitely think it's worth the risk. The Hawks have the mix of skill and leadership to overcome a hit to their chemistry. However, Patrick Sharp would be the last guy I would deal here. If he's what it takes, so be it, but avoid losing him until it's absolutely necessary to get the deal done.

Kovalchuk is a one of a kind talent, and could be the difference between winning and losing a Cup. That's all that matters. A team's window is only open for so long. Stan Bowman, prove to me you're awake, and get it done!

if the thrashers haven't made progress closing in on the deadline he will be sent packing but if dats during the olympics told illya to keep negotiations rolling just never bite and then in the offseason the wings will have the space for him haha not going to happen. in all reality, we dont have the cap space for him or the pieces atlanta is really looking for. dont think they want leino maltby and raffi with his ntc? haha

they probably will want helm kronwall ericcson ferraro + other prospects.... not the guys on our team whose salaries are worth moving but we can all dream.