• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Doc Holliday

Patrice Cormier with shocking hit on Mikael Tam

Rate this topic

From nj dot com :

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello said Monday he does not anticipate a season-long suspension for top prospect Patrice Cormier in the wake of the forward's elbow to the head of Quebec Remparts opponent Mikael Tam Sunday.

The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League is reviewing the incident before handing out punishment and a season-long suspension has been mentioned by some.

"I'm not the judge or jury, but in my opinion no," Lamoriello said when asked if he felt that was possible.

He also said he did not foresee legal action.

"Not in my opinion," Lamoriello said.

There is nothing in the world of hockey that could justify that kind of play. From what I undersatand he has a history. It makes you wonder what the coach knew he was capable of? I think he should be part of the investigation. As for the criminal charges debate,if that would have killed Tam, do any of you not think that he would have been charged with manslaughter or murder? Then the same act must draw an assault with intent to do bodily harm less than murder charge.

Lamoriello's an idiot. It's one thing to support your players (or those in your system), it's another to be completely blind as to what Cormier did and what he deserves in terms of punishment. Given all the dirty hits to the head by Scott Stevens over the years, I'm not terribly surprised by Lou's reaction.

I know we all want to throw Cormier under the bus, and rightfully so, but if his coaches in the CHL or the team he was drafted by never speak up, then the kid has no idea what is right or wrong as stupid and wrong as it sounds.

If no ones ever told him that hockey shouldn't be played this way, then you let him continue to play hockey, this kid probably has nothing else in life. Dumb dumb dumb move, but if no one has told this under 20? year old not to do this sprt of dirty hockey move, then you can't blame him too much, even though we all know and should have the common sense to NEVER ever do something like this.

"Nobody TOLD me murder was wrong and not to do it." - O.J., Richard Ramirez, Ted Bundy, Nidal Malik Hasan, etc., etc., etc.

Just read the following from NHLSourcesSay On twitter:

NHLSourcesSay

Cormier may be charged for elbow on Tam. No room for this type of play in hockey....just terrible.

This was also posted by...well, just read the name lol

DarrenDreger

Quebec provincial police confirm they are investigating Patrice Cormier's elbow to the head of Mikael Tam.

Edited by XxGoWingsxX

On TSN they interviewed one of his teammates from the Canada Juniors (09 and 10), Della Rovere... He said he had spoken to Cormier, and that he had try to get out of the way "but that those elbows, they get up"............. Wow, what an excuse!

Well those kinds of players, they should "sit out"!!!!!!!!!

From Toronto Star :

It was the second incident in junior hockey in less than a week. On Thursday, newly acquired Zack Kassian of the Windsor Spitfires left his feet to flatten Matt Kennedy of the Barrie Colts with what appeared to be a hit to the head.

Kennedy suffered a concussion and required stitches to close facial wounds. Kassian was given a charging major and a game misconduct. He was also suspended indefinitely and is to meet with Ontario Hockey League commissioner Dave Branch on Tuesday in Windsor.

Branch told a Toronto sports radio station it's a concern that players don't seem to be getting the message about head shots.

"That's not unfair to say," Branch said. "It's a constant challenge and it's an education process because we're dealing with young people by and large."

There needs to be accountability, and good on law enforcement for helping to provide that. A clean hit wouldn't be a big deal at all and no one would be talking about it. The minute you do something on the ice that is not germane to the sport and would get you arrested if you had done it in the parking lot, well.......you need to be arrested. Enough of this s***.

From Halifax Cronicle Herald :

QUEBEC — Mikael Tam has left hospital but it remains uncertain how long the Quebec Remparts defenceman will be out of action after a nasty hit to the head from Rouyn-Noranda Huskies centre Patrice Cormier.

Remparts spokesman Nicole Bouchard said Tuesday that Tam was released from hospital in Rouyn-Noranda on Monday night. He is due to arrive in Quebec City on Tuesday afternoon, but will make no comment to the media.

The team plans to hold a news conference with Tam on Friday in Quebec City, she said.

This is promising news; whether it will affect the decision on the length of the suspension...

From The Globe and Mail :

"While I was in the emergency room not realizing where I was or why I was there, I got scared, really scared," Tam said during a news conference yesterday. "As I was regaining consciousness I felt an incredible thing. I remember wondering if I would ever walk again. ... Mostly I was scared that I would never get to play hockey again."

The decision on the Cormier suspension is due on Monday; I hope it's long.

This isn't the 70's or 80's anymore. There is no room for this behavior in hockey in today's game. You want to do that s***? put on foam gloves and go in the octagon. I don't know how many people have to be seriously injured and have careers threatened or cut short before the "don cherry" brand of hockey is forgotten.

don't get me wrong, I LOVE HITS, I LOVE BATTLES, I LOVE FIGHTS, I LOVE THE GRIT, but intentionally trying to injure someone or "send a message" is gutless. Keep that s*** in up north WAY up north, or leave it Chris Pronger and Scotty Neidermeyer, only when playing the Red Wings... because at least we know its coming and it won't be punished. jk

Cormier should sit an extended period of time, and explained by league officials why. I hate it when leagues act like court rooms and you don't get explanation. This is a game after all, and its meant to be tuff, the kid just may need some guidance. The penalty should be stiff, but not lifetime.

Tomorrow should be interesting. I don't want to see him banned from hockey or facing criminal chargers, but Cormier should be out the rest of the season including the playoffs. They've got to get serious with this stuff.