• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/29 GDT: Predators 2 at Red Wings 4

Rate this topic

Haha gcom, I don't mean YOU personally make people criticize him, I mean that sometimes other people do criticize him on this site.

But you're right 100% about his goal scoring. Despite his point totals, 4 goals in 28 games is pretty bad. I hope he can ramp it up in that department towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. I know he has the tools to.

Edited by Z and D for the C

Haha gcom, I don't mean YOU personally make people criticize him, I mean that sometimes other people do criticize him on this site.

But you're right 100% about his goal scoring. Despite his point totals, 4 goals in 28 games is pretty bad. I hope he can ramp it up in that department towards the end of the season and into the playoffs. I know he has the tools to.

No response to my surprise backing of you in this? :scared: I'm on gcom's side 99% of the time but right now I think he's underselling Filppula a bit.

If Filppula could play an 82 game season at the pace he's played over the last 17 games he'd have 10g 48a for 58pts which is a great season for a 3 million dollar guy who is great in the face-off circle and very good defensively.

Actually when I saw your post I wasn't surprised at all. :D I've noticed that you have seem to come around a bit in your thinking of Filppula lately versus the start of the season, so high five. :thumbup:

And following this pace of conversion by the end of next season Filppula will probably be gcom's favorite player.

This is why so many people don't take the Fliplove crowd seriously.

I'm one of the most vocal critics of Flip's offensive abilities, but I gave him credit for making a good play on that first assist because it was a good play. Does a good offensive play every so often make Flip into the player you slappies think he is? Not so much.

And how about that second assist? Listen, I'm not saying they should take it off the score sheet, but can you honestly say that Flip made a great play on that goal? Being one of the two guys to touch the puck before a guy scores a goal does not necessarily mean you made a good play that lead to the goal at all, and Flip gets a lot of assists like that second assist. Again, I'm not trying to take any points away from him on the book, but all the same, it's silly to attach much value to points like that.

And let's be clear, no one said anything bad about Flip tonight, but still you start gloating as if you're somehow "right" in the grand scheme of things now because he made one good play tonight and got a bonus assist. You guys clearly have no restraint, you're not objective and intentionally or not, you're just stirring the pot. I'm fine with arguing and debating if that's all you want to do; I obviously enjoy it on some level. But don't think for a second that you don't bring the negative rebuttals on yourselves while furthering the negative critiquing of Flip.

By the way, I'm still waiting for all those goals that so many of you have talked about...

i agree in that a lot of second assists are just a result of being one of the last two guys to touch the puck...i made a lengthy post about this in another thread, so i'll keep it brief(er). i think that on the one hand, it's easy to see dazzling passes made by guys like datsyuk and assume that guys like flip aren't "earning" their assists. while admitting that not everyone "deserves" the icetime the get (e.g. meech has only been on the powerplay because of injuries, not because he's really good enough, and flip can at times benefit in the same way) he's on the ice with other good players because the coach sees that he does better with that icetime than the other options. and, yeah, flip doesn't deserve datsyuk's minutes not his linemates, but while i've heard people criticizing flip and saying he's over-valued, i haven't head much suggestion of who *should* be taking his minutes. and so, if he benefits from better linemates, that says something about him that he's earning those minutes.

also, i think it can be said that although many of his secondary assist passes are not dazzling, they are an example of him making the right decision and executing it properly. obviously, the other two guys involved have to make the right decisions and executing them properly, too, but maybe if flip decides to go down low with the pass instead of back to the point, the play doesn't happen the same way. i think that in many situations, it's showing that he's reading the play well and knowing where to go with the puck, even if he doesn't make a stunning play with it. just my two cents.

also, i wasn't able to watch the game last night...but i hear a lot of people saying we got really lucky last night...i was just wondering if anyone could give me a brief summary of how we got so lucky. i see we got outshot, but other than that i'm just curious what happened for us. thanks!

i agree in that a lot of second assists are just a result of being one of the last two guys to touch the puck...i made a lengthy post about this in another thread, so i'll keep it brief(er). i think that on the one hand, it's easy to see dazzling passes made by guys like datsyuk and assume that guys like flip aren't "earning" their assists. while admitting that not everyone "deserves" the icetime the get (e.g. meech has only been on the powerplay because of injuries, not because he's really good enough, and flip can at times benefit in the same way) he's on the ice with other good players because the coach sees that he does better with that icetime than the other options. and, yeah, flip doesn't deserve datsyuk's minutes not his linemates, but while i've heard people criticizing flip and saying he's over-valued, i haven't head much suggestion of who *should* be taking his minutes. and so, if he benefits from better linemates, that says something about him that he's earning those minutes.

also, i think it can be said that although many of his secondary assist passes are not dazzling, they are an example of him making the right decision and executing it properly. obviously, the other two guys involved have to make the right decisions and executing them properly, too, but maybe if flip decides to go down low with the pass instead of back to the point, the play doesn't happen the same way. i think that in many situations, it's showing that he's reading the play well and knowing where to go with the puck, even if he doesn't make a stunning play with it. just my two cents.

also, i wasn't able to watch the game last night...but i hear a lot of people saying we got really lucky last night...i was just wondering if anyone could give me a brief summary of how we got so lucky. i see we got outshot, but other than that i'm just curious what happened for us. thanks!

I've long viewed Filpula as tradebait, even though I love him on the team... I just think if a trade is to be made, he's the best candidate - would get a good return, relieves good cap space and his game is a bit redundant on this team (good two-way, can't score to save his life). I'll be happy if he stays on the team, but I'll be pissed if another similar salary player is ever traded in front of him -- like Kronwall or Cleary -- and I always thought someone like hudler was more of a need to this team than Filpula. But Flip's been great!

Anyways - the defense last night was atrocious. Forwards and defensemen were turning the puck over on a consistent basis in their own zone and Jimmy (and the posts) really saved their bacon (I honestly think if Osgood was in net, with the way he is playing it would have been a 5-3 loss, and then we'd hear about how the defense left him out to dry - and that would be a correct observation, as Howard was lights-out last night). That said the Wings' offense has really started to click, so hopefully it's just a case of putting it all together now that everyone is coming back.

Edited by egroen

Can't speak for anyone else, but I was referring to all the iron shots. There had to be at least four? And a couple of times, the Predators would have had goals if they'd gotten the puck up a little higher. Lastly, others have referred to the fact that our defense absolutely sucked.. How many breakaways were there last night? Not sure, but I'm thinking there were (once again) too many.

Agree 100%. This is exactly what I mean when I say it's not a coincidence.

Hmm... probably shouldn't be mentioning anything about this after a win, but I wonder what Osgood will say to the press after recieving a shot like this...

A season-ticket holder interviewed during a second-period break took a shot at benched goalie Chris Osgood, saying in an interview that was broadcasted to the crowd, "It's so good to have a goalie again." The stunned crowd started booing and broke into an "Oz-zie! Oz-zie!" chant.

Either way great win by the Wings tonight and now to see if they can continue it against Pittsburgh.

The guy has to be a member of LGW.

Good for the fans there too.

Actually when I saw your post I wasn't surprised at all. :D I've noticed that you have seem to come around a bit in your thinking of Filppula lately versus the start of the season, so high five. :thumbup:

And following this pace of conversion by the end of next season Filppula will probably be gcom's favorite player.

I would have to say I have come around in my thinking of Filppula as well. As earlier posts point out, it seems he just makes good solid decisions, which every hockey club needs.

I was really glad about the win, especially after the Predators took it to 3-2 due to our previous form when leading by 2. Lidstrom seems to be getting into the grove after that barren spell, and Henrik seems to be finding his feet.

And I am glad Jimmy has responded after that 52 save LA game. He has been good since then, but this performance was brilliant in my eyes.

LET'S GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!! We are going to the North pole to kick some penguin ass.

I've always been an outspoken critic of Filppula if only because I felt he's been overrated by his fans... but looking at my apparent obsession with Ericsson I've begun to see it from your view-point. In the end I think some of us are underrating Val and some are overrating him (funny how almost everything in life ends up being in that gray area, eh?).

As it stands right now Filppula is earning his 3 million dollars and that's all that matters.