• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

1/29 GDT: Predators 2 at Red Wings 4

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly
It's going to suck no matter what, I guarantee we're going to be forced to watch replays from Game 7 for no less than half the game.

Oh yeah.. it's broadcasted on Nothing But Crosby :thumbdown:

Hmm... probably shouldn't be mentioning anything about this after a win, but I wonder what Osgood will say to the press after recieving a shot like this...

A season-ticket holder interviewed during a second-period break took a shot at benched goalie Chris Osgood, saying in an interview that was broadcasted to the crowd, "It's so good to have a goalie again." The stunned crowd started booing and broke into an "Oz-zie! Oz-zie!" chant.

Either way great win by the Wings tonight and now to see if they can continue it against Pittsburgh.

Edited by JoeK35

Hmm... probably shouldn't be mentioning anything about this after a win, but I wonder what Osgood will say to the press after recieving a shot like this...

A season-ticket holder interviewed during a second-period break took a shot at benched goalie Chris Osgood, saying in an interview that was broadcasted to the crowd, "It's so good to have a goalie again." The stunned crowd started booing and broke into an "Oz-zie! Oz-zie!" chant.

Either way great win by the Wings tonight and now to see if they can continue it against Pittsburgh.

I think that's a good thing. Based on his history Osgood responds to that kind of doubter.

Good on the D to stand up for Ozzie.

Seems like the fans gave enough of a response.

But I thought anybody can make the plays he made? He's nothing special at all. Blah blah bla.

This is why so many people don't take the Fliplove crowd seriously.

I'm one of the most vocal critics of Flip's offensive abilities, but I gave him credit for making a good play on that first assist because it was a good play. Does a good offensive play every so often make Flip into the player you slappies think he is? Not so much.

And how about that second assist? Listen, I'm not saying they should take it off the score sheet, but can you honestly say that Flip made a great play on that goal? Being one of the two guys to touch the puck before a guy scores a goal does not necessarily mean you made a good play that lead to the goal at all, and Flip gets a lot of assists like that second assist. Again, I'm not trying to take any points away from him on the book, but all the same, it's silly to attach much value to points like that.

And let's be clear, no one said anything bad about Flip tonight, but still you start gloating as if you're somehow "right" in the grand scheme of things now because he made one good play tonight and got a bonus assist. You guys clearly have no restraint, you're not objective and intentionally or not, you're just stirring the pot. I'm fine with arguing and debating if that's all you want to do; I obviously enjoy it on some level. But don't think for a second that you don't bring the negative rebuttals on yourselves while furthering the negative critiquing of Flip.

By the way, I'm still waiting for all those goals that so many of you have talked about...

I know a lot of people think a lot of things about Osgood, but does anyone honestly think he's oblivious to the ever-present negative fans? He's racked up nearly 400 wins in the NHL, most of them with Detroit. He's been banished and hated, then returned to find glory and become a hero, only to rinse and repeat the whole process again.

Believe me, Osgood doesn't give a s*** at this point.

I'm one of the most vocal critics of Flip's offensive abilities, but I gave him credit for making a good play on that first assist because it was a good play. Does a good offensive play every so often make Flip into the player you slappies think he is? Not so much.

And how about that second assist? Listen, I'm not saying they should take it off the score sheet, but can you honestly say that Flip made a great play on that goal? Being one of the two guys to touch the puck before a guy scores a goal does not necessarily mean you made a good play that lead to the goal at all, and Flip gets a lot of assists like that second assist. Again, I'm not trying to take any points away from him on the book, but all the same, it's silly to attach much value to points like that.

To be honest, you're the only critic of Filppula's offensive abilities. You get some people bitching about him, but they're mostly the kind of people on this site to hates everyone who isn't a superstar. You're pretty much the only one who doesn't think Filppula is a solid second line center.

And you can (and do) talk all you want about how he gets his points, but the fact is, the proof is in the pudding. In the past 13 games, he has 11 points, and 12 points in his past 17 games. And in those 4 games that I didn't include in that first total, he was playing with 2 fourth liners and just came back from a 2 month injury. Now I'm sure he isn't going to continue his 70 point pace of his last 13 games for the rest of the season, but he is racking up the points and it's not just a coincidence. There is more than enough tangible evidence that he's more than you think of him. Damn well more tangible than your "he gets the most just-being-there assists in the nhl" argument.

And no, of course he didn't make a great play on his second assist, but again, it's still not just a coincidence.

Edited by Z and D for the C

You'd should be more concerned with what Howard is thinking after hearing a goaltender who's racked up 300+ Wins and Won two Stanley Cups with the Franchise take a shot like that.

Probably thinking:

"Jeez. I've got NO leeway in this town. None. As soon as I slip, the "fans" will eat me alive."

To be honest, you're the only critic of Filppula's offensive abilities. You get some people bitching about him, but they're mostly the kind of people on this site to hates everyone who isn't a superstar. You're pretty much the only one who doesn't think Filppula is a solid second line center.

And you can (and do) talk all you want about how he gets his points, but the fact is, the proof is in the pudding. In the past 13 games, he has 11 points, and 12 points in his past 17 games. And in those 4 games that I didn't include in that first total, he was playing with 2 fourth liners and just came back from a 2 month injury. Now I'm sure he isn't going to continue his 70 point pace of his last 13 games for the rest of the season, but he is racking up the points and it's not just a coincidence. There is more than enough tangible evidence that he's more than you think of him. Damn well more tangible than your "he gets the most just-being-there assists in the nhl" argument.

And no, of course he didn't make a great play on his second assist, but again, it's still not just a coincidence.

While I'm "flattered" at the suggest that I have some sort of sway around here, I find it somewhat unlikely that I am the reason people start bitching about him. And just as much, I am most certainly not the only one skeptical of his offensive abilities. And some of these people are hardly the types to just hate everyone. Honestly, that's just lazy thinking to suggest that.

And I never said Flip isn't capable of being a solid 2nd line center necessarily. I absolutely don't think he's the right fit for the role on this team though, but that's more of a general thing anyways. He would do much better, and be a much more important player on a team lacking in two-way forwards. We are not lacking in that area by any means, especially at center with Helm, Draper, and those two other European guys that everyone kicks up such a fuss over. He's always going to be the 3rd line center in Detroit. Even if Pavs or Z wasn't here, he wouldn't last in Detroit as a second line guy. He doesn't score goals.

As for the rest, same old, same old. We'll see. Like I've said, he's always been streaky. We'll see how it all holds up by seasons end.

The only thing that will change my fundamental issue with Flip as a Wing is if he starts putting up goals to match his assist totals, especially considering that he's not a guy like Larionov who was simply a brilliant play-maker despite not scoring many goals. For the money he is making and the minutes he's getting, including power play minutes, I don't think 20 goals is an unreasonable expectation for the role he's in. Until he does that, I think he's overpaid and a redundant element of this team. I wish him no ill and I'd be thrilled to be wrong on any of this, but until then, in my mind he's not a benefit to this team considering his cap hit and lack of goals.

He certainly doesn't hurt us by any means, but in a cap world, you need to be damn sure you've got the right pieces to the puzzle in place. "Wrong piece" does not equal "bad player," but I think they'd do well to address the issue if the right opportunity were to come up.

I'm still keeping track of Filppula and the team's stats since he came back from his injury. As it stands he's got 2g 10a for 12pts in 17 games. That's a 0.706 ppg pace and puts him second only to Datsyuk in points per game among forwards. Zetterberg's only 0.692 ppg since returning from injury (13 games ago).

So right now it's pretty hard to criticize Filppula's offensive contribution to the team.