• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

btweinberg

Sick of hearing Sidney Crosby's name

Rate this topic

I wonder how many of you hockey "purists" out there would hold the same "objective" view of how the oversaturation of one player is so bad for hockey or not the correct way to sell the NHL if the object of the media's obsession was Datsyuk or Zetterberg instead of Crosby...I have heard Nick Lidstrom 's name mentioned as the 2nd best defenseman of all-time more than once (Including the Sporting News hockey preview from this past fall that had the audacity to ask 4 current NHL defenseman who was the greatest D man of all-time, Orr or Lidstrom) which is utterly ridiculous (he is deserving of top 5 status sure, but certainly not the #2 slot) and yet i don't ever recall a Wings fan suggesting he may be overrated...funny how that works....6 people in the history of the sport have ever won an MVP, led the league in scoring, and captained a team to a Stanley Cup, here are their names and ages at which they entered the club:

Sidney Crosby: 21

Wayne Gretzky: 23

Mario Lemieux: 26

Toe Blake: 32

Jean Beliveau: 34

Maurice Richard: 36

The accomplishment itself is staggering, let alone the fact that the guy did it at a younger age than the other 5 players ( who according to the Hockey News are the #1, #4,#5, #7 and #66 greatest NHL players of all time) who accomplished the feat. The fact of the matter is that he's 22 years old and could retire tommorow with a resume that would get him into the Hall of Fame...as far as I'm concerned he is press is warranted.

"Babcock has to figure out who is going to play with Crosby"

"Hey look that's where Sidney Crosby wasn't born"

f*** its getting ridiculous.

No s***. At the start of the game they zoomed in on him for a solid minute. Just staring at him siting on the bench, they zoomed in so close you could count his eyelashes.

This is one of the peaches from earlier this game:

(The intro video of Cold (Coal?) Harbor)

Doc: "There's Cold Harbor. No, don't get excited, not the Cold Harbor Sidney Crosby is from!"

It's stuff like that that bothers me. Crosby wasn't being discussed. In fact, it was USA's turn for the intro story. This happens all the time in other broadcasts. Anything mentioned that sounds even remotely like some barely-related-to-Crosby's-past item gets some huge elaborate explanation of how it relates to Crosby's life. Even during something like a Phoenix-Atlanta game.

This part really bothered me. You can just tell they are going out of their way to talk about Crosby. When he makes a great play, yeah talk all you want. When you're showing the landscape outside, leave him out of it.

This part really bothered me. You can just tell they are going out of their way to talk about Crosby. When he makes a great play, yeah talk all you want. When you're showing the landscape outside, leave him out of it.

And even when he scored...they spend three minutes reflecting on how amazing it was. I don't remember them doing that with anyone else's goals.

And even when he scored...they spend three minutes reflecting on how amazing it was. I don't remember them doing that with anyone else's goals.

It was obnoxious. I half-expected them to do a piece on his bowel movements during Intermission.

OK, has anyone seen Team Canada Scott Nedermayer interviewed at all? I think I've only seen Sidney Crosby interviews.

Actually this is somewhat interesting. I'm seeing two captains on the Canadian team. Niedermayer, who was elected to wear the C from hockey pros, and then Crosby who is essentially the media-Captain. That's not to take anything away from Crosby or Niedermayer; both are excellent players in their own rights, but its amazing how much influence the media exerts over this kind of stuff.

I wonder how many of you hockey "purists" out there would hold the same "objective" view of how the oversaturation of one player is so bad for hockey or not the correct way to sell the NHL if the object of the media's obsession was Datsyuk or Zetterberg instead of Crosby...I have heard Nick Lidstrom 's name mentioned as the 2nd best defenseman of all-time more than once (Including the Sporting News hockey preview from this past fall that had the audacity to ask 4 current NHL defenseman who was the greatest D man of all-time, Orr or Lidstrom) which is utterly ridiculous (he is deserving of top 5 status sure, but certainly not the #2 slot) and yet i don't ever recall a Wings fan suggesting he may be overrated...funny how that works....6 people in the history of the sport have ever won an MVP, led the league in scoring, and captained a team to a Stanley Cup, here are their names and ages at which they entered the club:

The accomplishment itself is staggering, let alone the fact that the guy did it at a younger age than the other 5 players ( who according to the Hockey News are the #1, #4,#5, #7 and #66 greatest NHL players of all time) who accomplished the feat. The fact of the matter is that he's 22 years old and could retire tommorow with a resume that would get him into the Hall of Fame...as far as I'm concerned he is press is warranted.

First of all, no one has said that Crosby isn't a great player. He is a very good player. I don't think he is the best in the league but he is up there. But it just gets so f-ing annoying the way he is shoved down our throats.

Your comparison of Lidstrom to Crosby is laughable. Lidstrom has had a GREAT career, won multiple Norris trophys, and won MULTIPLE cups. With his consistency throughout his career, he can be called one of the greatest defenders of all time. Crosby has had a good early career, but he is still young and should not yet be mentioned by anyone to be the best player of all time.

God I hate NBC hockey. I'm suprised I could hear the announcers speak with all of Crosby's jizz gargling out of their mouths. I wish Ken and Mickey covered the olympics...

First of all, no one has said that Crosby isn't a great player. He is a very good player. I don't think he is the best in the league but he is up there. But it just gets so f-ing annoying the way he is shoved down our throats.

Your comparison of Lidstrom to Crosby is laughable. Lidstrom has had a GREAT career, won multiple Norris trophys, and won MULTIPLE cups. With his consistency throughout his career, he can be called one of the greatest defenders of all time. Crosby has had a good early career, but he is still young and should not yet be mentioned by anyone to be the best player of all time.

God I hate NBC hockey. I'm suprised I could hear the announcers speak with all of Crosby's jizz gargling out of their mouths. I wish Ken and Mickey covered the olympics...

You misunderstood my post, I wasn't comparing Lidstrom to Crosby nor was I saying that Crosby should be in the conversation for the greatest player of all time...what I was saying is that alot (not all, but alot) of the attention Crosby recieves is warranted due to the fact that he has accomplished more in hockey before the age of 22 than anyone not named Wayne Gretzky, so he is not as overrated as many would like to think....As far as Lidstrom goes I was saying that he is in getting to be overrated both in terms of his current ability and his place in history, (not overwhelmingly mind you, but overrated nonetheless) but Wings fans never want to point that out, and that if the NHL's media darling was a Lidstrom or a Datsyuk then I have a hard time seeing so many Detroit fans having such a problem with one player getting "rammed down their throats"

Guest zackmorris
I wonder how many of you hockey "purists" out there would hold the same "objective" view of how the oversaturation of one player is so bad for hockey or not the correct way to sell the NHL if the object of the media's obsession was Datsyuk or Zetterberg instead of Crosby...I have heard Nick Lidstrom 's name mentioned as the 2nd best defenseman of all-time more than once (Including the Sporting News hockey preview from this past fall that had the audacity to ask 4 current NHL defenseman who was the greatest D man of all-time, Orr or Lidstrom) which is utterly ridiculous (he is deserving of top 5 status sure, but certainly not the #2 slot)

omg! the new thing is never better than the old thing! lidstrom isn't even top 2!

You know what? I'd take Lidstrom over Orr anyday. Orr was a juiced up Mike Green. The guy's name has become bigger than his play. People who haven't seen more than 3 plays from him will leave flaming bags of s*** on your doorstep if you speak sideways about him. People who have never even seen him will scream blue murder that he's the greatest thing since the wheel.

He's the perfect example of reputation becoming bigger than the player. Lidstrom is perfect on D. I'll take that over great offense anyday. And I don't want to hear about Norris awards, as the standards then and now are worlds apart.

But Lidstrom is still playing and Orr's name has grown for decades and to some sheep, it's inasne to suggest anyone is close. Do you really think Orr could play D like Lidstrom? No one can. No one has and I seriously doubt we'll see anyone who can in the future.

And if the league hyped Pav or Hank, at least they'd be choosing to hype respectable human beings.

Edited by zackmorris

Crosby is not the best player in the league. Period. Which is why it bothers me not that he gets a lot of media attention, but that he gets ALL of it. Other great players should get SOME attention, even if Crosby would still get a slightly larger share. But isntead it's the Crosby show and nobody else matters.

This is one of the peaches from earlier this game:

(The intro video of Cold (Coal?) Harbor)

Doc: "There's Cold Harbor. No, don't get excited, not the Cold Harbor Sidney Crosby is from!"

It's stuff like that that bothers me. Crosby wasn't being discussed. In fact, it was USA's turn for the intro story. This happens all the time in other broadcasts. Anything mentioned that sounds even remotely like some barely-related-to-Crosby's-past item gets some huge elaborate explanation of how it relates to Crosby's life. Even during something like a Phoenix-Atlanta game.

Oh yeah! I can totally see why that's Crosbys fault! :thumbdown:

Make an NBC/media bashing thread instead of blaming it on Crosby. He goes out and plays the game. He doesn't asked to be interviewed or mentioned all the time. Give your friggin' heads a shake people!

Guest zackmorris

^He's just saying he doesn't like hearing it. No one is honestly saying they think Crosby asks for it. But that's irrelevant anyway. I'm tired of it like alot of other people are tired of it.

He'll just get shoe-horned into any conversation no matter what it's about. That's the annoying thing about it. It happens so much that if we point it out whenever they do it we look bad.

omg! the new thing is never better than the old thing! lidstrom isn't even top 2!

You know what? I'd take Lidstrom over Orr anyday. Orr was a juiced up Mike Green. The guy's name has become bigger than his play. People who haven't seen more than 3 plays from him will leave flaming bags of s*** on your doorstep if you speak sideways about him. People who have never even seen him will scream blue murder that he's the greatest thing since the wheel.

He's the perfect example of reputation becoming bigger than the player. Lidstrom is perfect on D. I'll take that over great offense anyday. And I don't want to hear about Norris awards, as the standards then and now are worlds apart.

But Lidstrom is still playing and Orr's name has grown for decades and to some sheep, it's inasne to suggest anyone is close. Do you really think Orr could play D like Lidstrom? No one can. No one has and I seriously doubt we'll see anyone who can in the future.

And if the league hyped Pav or Hank, at least they'd be choosing to hype respectable human beings.

I'm gonna keep this short and sweet because with a post that is as ignorant as that one it is clear that you don't have a clue what you are talking about and therefore I won't take the time to waste a long post pointing out just how wrong you are (although I would enjoy it)....

1. Lidstrom's 4 best plus/minus ratings (In a watered down NHL compared to what Orr played in) +43, +40,+40,+40

Bobby Orr's 4 best plus/minus ratings: +124, +86, +84, +80

2. According to some guy named Gordie Howe (although you probably think he's overrated too right??), Bobby Orr could have never scored a goal in the NHL and still would have been one of the top 5 players of all time...not bad for a guy who was just a "juiced up Mike Green"

Lidstrom over Orr?

:lol:

Amazing.

Guest Shoreline

Yup. I don't think I've ever seen so much obsessive whining over a player in my life than Wings fans about Sidney Crosby. The attention he's got is more than merited, some are just sour that it isn't a Red Wing that's getting it. Just point and laugh.

I'm not dissing Orr by any stretch, but +/- numbers are grossly inflated during the 70s. It was higher scoring than today, and there were some truly terrible expansion teams in that era.

Larry Robinson put up +120 in '77

Denis Potvin was +71 in '79

Don't get me wrong, all 3 were great players, true Hall or Famers, but you can't tell me that they were superior to the great players that followed in the next generation - Bourque, Chelios, Lidstrom etc- just because of a higher plus/minus number?

You can prove anything with statistics, and zackmorris kinda has a point - in 20 years time, fans who never saw Lidstrom play will hype his play too. The biggest thing holding him back in peoples all-time rankings is the fact that he hasn't been retired long enough.

Where did you get this list? Richard never led the league in scoring.

Edited by egroen

I'm not dissing Orr by any stretch, but +/- numbers are grossly inflated during the 70s. It was higher scoring than today, and there were some truly terrible expansion teams in that era.

Larry Robinson put up +120 in '77

Denis Potvin was +71 in '79

Don't get me wrong, all 3 were great players, true Hall or Famers, but you can't tell me that they were superior to the great players that followed in the next generation - Bourque, Chelios, Lidstrom etc- just because of a higher plus/minus number?

You can prove anything with statistics, and zackmorris kinda has a point - in 20 years time, fans who never saw Lidstrom play will hype his play too. The biggest thing holding him back in peoples all-time rankings is the fact that he hasn't been retired long enough.

He was also playing alongside Esposito, Ken Hodge, and John Bucyk, who each scored over 100 points that year. That Boston team was absolutely stacked in the early 70's.

This is ridiculous.

Orr was fantastic defensively - fantastic.

In fact, a 1971 Coach's poll had Bobby Orr as the #1 defensive defenseman in the entire league - how many times can Coffey or Green say that?

Lidstrom is slightly better (defensively), but so are a lot of guys -- Harvey, Langway, Chelios, Stevens, Savard, Hitchman, Seibert, "Black Jack" Stewart, Horton, Borque, Konstantinov........

Edited by egroen