• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

Be the Blackhawks GM

Rate this topic

Lets play the Blackhawks GM. How would you get them out of cap hell?

As of now, this is what they have. 14 players signed, -$.8 over the cap. They need to sign 8 more players to have a legal roster so some cuts need to be made. I think one ground rule would be that we arent allowed to trade Brian Campbell's $7.1 contract with six years left. That deal would help them out immensely, but Id be shocked if they are able to get rid of it.

FORWARDS

Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)

Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)

Dustin Byfuglien ($3.000m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)

Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / Brent Sopel ($2.333m)

GOALTENDERS

Cristobal Huet ($5.625m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 14; PAYROLL: $57.598m; CAP ROOM: $-0.798m

-- The first thing I'd do is cut Cristobal Huet. The Buyout cap hit is $1.875. They would have to absorb that for two seasons. They would save $3.75 with the Huet buyout.

-- Antti Niemi has been good for them. The Hawks are in no position to upgrade their goaltending. If some team wants to be real pricks, they could poach Niemi away from the Hawks and really leave them with nothing, but I dont think Niemi is worth it. As an RFA at .850 now, Ill give him $1.3

-- Next, its a very difficult decision to make, but in order for them to get under the cap, they have to cut Brian Campbell. They would have to absorb $2.38 for six years, but it would save them $4.76 which will help them.

-- Next, I trade Kris Versteeg. I see his contract as the most tradable. Dave Bollands expires in 2014 so I think his might be hard to move. I dont see them moving Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Keiths, or Seabrooks.

-- Then Id Re-up with Andrew Ladd giving him a raise and re-signing Ben Eager.

FORWARDS

Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($3.000m)

* Andrew Ladd ($2.250m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m)

* Ben Eager ($0.965m) / * Colin Fraser ($0.700m) / * Mark Cullen ($0.500m)

* Minimum Veteran Guy ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($3.500m)

Brent Sopel ($2.333m)* Nick Boynton ($1.500m)

* Niklas Hjalmarsson ($0.643m) / Jordan Hendry ($0.625m)

* Jassen Cullimore ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS

* Antti Niemi ($1.300m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.285m; CAP ROOM: $0.515m

* Campbell Buyout ($2.380m)

* Huet Buyout ($1.875m)

Lets play the Blackhawks GM. How would you get them out of cap hell?

As of now, this is what they have. 14 players signed, -$.8 over the cap. They need to sign 8 more players to have a legal roster so some cuts need to be made. I think one ground rule would be that we arent allowed to trade Brian Campbell's $7.1 contract with six years left. That deal would help them out immensely, but Id be shocked if they are able to get rid of it.

FORWARDS

Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)

Dustin Byfuglien ($3.000m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / Brent Sopel ($2.333m)

GOALTENDERS

Cristobal Huet ($5.625m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 14; PAYROLL: $57.598m; CAP ROOM: $-0.798m

-- The first thing I'd do is cut Cristobal Huet. The Buyout cap hit is $1.875. They would have to absorb that for two seasons. They would save $3.75 with the Huet buyout.

-- Antti Niemi has been good for them. The Hawks are in no position to upgrade their goaltending. If some team wants to be real pricks, they could poach Niemi away from the Hawks and really leave them with nothing, but I dont think Niemi is worth it. As an RFA at .850 now, Ill give him $1.3

-- Next, its a very difficult decision to make, but in order for them to get under the cap, they have to cut Brian Campbell. They would have to absorb $2.38 for six years, but it would save them $4.76 which will help them.

-- Next, I trade Kris Versteeg. I see his contract as the most tradable. Dave Bollands expires in 2014 so I think his might be hard to move. I dont see them moving Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Keiths, or Seabrooks.

-- Then Id Re-up with Andrew Ladd giving him a raise and re-signing Ben Eager.

FORWARDS

* Andrew Ladd ($2.250m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m)

* Ben Eager ($0.965m) / * Colin Fraser ($0.700m) / * Mark Cullen ($0.500m)

* Minimum Veteran Guy ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($3.500m)

Brent Sopel ($2.333m)* Nick Boynton ($1.500m)

* Niklas Hjalmarsson ($0.643m) / Jordan Hendry ($0.625m)

* Jassen Cullimore ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS

* Antti Niemi ($1.300m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $56.285m; CAP ROOM: $0.515m

* Campbell Buyout ($2.380m)

* Huet Buyout ($1.875m)

Crash the plane.

That's too mean.

Pretty much Im thinking theyll be in worse shape than we are this year unless someone gives them a gift from god and takes that Brian Campbell contract off their hands.

The funny thing is if they buy the Campbell and Huet contracts out they'll just look bad in the eyes of future free agents and people who want to re-sign in the future. Both of those guys were brought in on high-profile 'key piece' contracts... buying them out now sends a pretty clear message about how they treat their players.

Guest Lidstromboli

what about Madden, OP? i don't think i saw any mention of him in your post

what about Madden, OP? i don't think i saw any mention of him in your post

He is a UFA after this season. He's making about 2.75 this year. I just dont see how they can bring him back unless he takes a significant pay cut.

The funny thing is if they buy the Campbell and Huet contracts out they'll just look bad in the eyes of future free agents and people who want to re-sign in the future. Both of those guys were brought in on high-profile 'key piece' contracts... buying them out now sends a pretty clear message about how they treat their players.

Haha I know. Tossing the numbers around, i just down see how they can get under the cap without buying those contracts out. I really am looking forward to see how they handle the offseason.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

That and who would want them? They are going to have to put together a pretty package for the potential buyer. Draft picks, prospects, players, etc

That and who would want them? They are going to have to put together a pretty package for the potential buyer. Draft picks, prospects, players, etc

That's the way it should be. Their GM made stupid decisions and the team should have to live with it. There has to be some incentive not to hand out short-sighted contracts like that.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

That's the way it should be. Their GM made stupid decisions and the team should have to live with it. There has to be some incentive not to hand out short-sighted contracts like that.

I agree with you there. When looking at their cap situation I really don't even see how they can field a team. I mean the only way they retain there depth is if they can get rid of Huet and Campbell for nothing. That's not going to happen. I would assume that they trade away somebody for draft picks and then hope to god they can get rid of Huet and Campbell, but I don't see any possible move they could make that could keep them at the top. Very poor management.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I agree with you there. When looking at their cap situation I really don't even see how they can field a team. I mean the only way they retain there depth is if they can get rid of Huet and Campbell for nothing. That's not going to happen. I would assume that they trade away somebody for draft picks and then hope to god they can get rid of Huet and Campbell, but I don't see any possible move they could make that could keep them at the top. Very poor management.

I could the Hawk's offering up Campbell + 1st and a 2nd for a team with a lot of cap space's 2nd rounder. Not sure if the team's owner would be too happy, but they may be able to entice someone to bite with the ad ons.

As much as this season is the year the Hawks make a run at it I'm kind of surprised we didn't see another move or two similar in nature to the Cam Barker move. In the present it was a fairly lateral move in that the Hawks replaced Barker with Johnsson from the Wild but as we move forward the Wild will retain Barker for 2 (I think) more seasons at a 3 and change cap hit while Johnsson is a UFA. Plus the Wild got a prospect. So the Hawks gave up a good young player in Barker plus a prospect to get cap relief and stay basically on an even pace this season.

I would have thought they could have made another move or two like this at the deadline to help this summer.

That being said, as much as some NHL fans love off Versteeg and Byfuglien in my mind they are over paid (especially Byfuglien). To me they have to be moved if I were the Hawks GM. You can't have a guy that low on the forward depth chart, Byfuglien, making $3M. Also, unfortunately for Hawks fans we've all heard the rumblings that it seems Sharp is the odd man out. Personally, I think Sharp is awesome and I would love to see him in a Wings uniform but that probably would never happen.

Wow, they're in worse shape than I remember. Getting rid of Versteeq and Sopel (for picks) and signing Niemi for 1.5 (deserves more) then filling their roster with ahl plugs still leaves them 1.3 over the cap.

Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / * plug ($0.500m)

* plug ($0.500m) / * plug ($0.500m) / * plug ($0.500m)

* plug ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / * plug ($0.500m)

* plug ($0.500m) / * plug ($0.500m)

* plug ($0.500m)

GOALTENDERS

Cristobal Huet ($5.625m) / * Antti Niemi ($1.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $58.181m; CAP ROOM: $-1.381m BONUSES: $0.000m

Did the League ever issue an official statement regarding their investigation into the legitimacy of the Hossa contract?

Pretty sure Bettman went WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO until everybody else shut up.

Can you imagine Sopel anchoring the 2nd defensive line and Kopecky centering the 3rd line?

Out of curiosity, is everyone remembering to carry forward the bonuses from this year into next?

I'll have to give this a go later, but man... it looks daunting.

I could the Hawk's offering up Campbell + 1st and a 2nd for a team with a lot of cap space's 2nd rounder. Not sure if the team's owner would be too happy, but they may be able to entice someone to bite with the ad ons.

I think that's exactly what they will have to do with Campbell or Huet, if they want to get rid of them, IMO.