• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#41 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

I mean, I know Jimmy's been good and all that, but really? Better than Osgood/Hasek in 2008 when they won the Jennings and Osgood was the starter at the All-Star game, 1st in GAA and went 27-9-4? Now I know we had a much better team then, but still. Does he really mean this, or is he having another jibe at Ozzie (who would now offically be Hudlers replacement as Mike Babcock's go-to scapegoat).

http://sports.espn.g...cott&id=5034714

Osgood and Hasek faced the lowest number of shots per game of any goalies in the league. Howard played behind a team that is less stacked and was riddled with injuries. When the Red Wings faced tons of injuries in February of '08, the Wings lost an atrocious number of games in the time before the injured players returned. Meanwhile, Howard's play did not suffer.

Edited by Crymson, 28 March 2010 - 02:59 PM.

#42 skyphoenix

skyphoenix

JIMMEH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 02:58 PM

How is this a shot at Ozzie in any form? I read it as this goalie tandem we have is the best it's been since Babcock got here. I don't see where people are getting shots at Ozzie from?

Edited by skyphoenix, 28 March 2010 - 03:01 PM.

Posted Image

#43 RedWings

RedWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:27 PM

Howard is definitely an upgrade vs Conklin.
But he still could be a Legace 2

I like the fact that Howard plays every game now. This way he's already dealing with a lot of pressure. This could help for the playoffs.

#44 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 03:40 PM

Jimmy is playing well and hope he gets even stronger, yet I can not agree with that statement as he has not played more than 1 full season and never in the playoffs. Osgood has stood tall in the last 2 rounds of the playoffs and regular season's had its ups and down. No one can argue to Hasek's accomplishments either.

Did BabCOCK mean consistent?
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#45 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:22 PM

I apologize if I'm just rehashing what has already been said but, I too read this as a compliment to Ozzie as well as Jimmy.

In addition to the stats added to the thread about the Osgood/Hasek combination, it could also be a statement about our goaltending now in relation to where it is headed. When Hasek was here everyone knew it wouldn't be for long. Not only does the situation in net feel pretty solid at the moment but it could very well stay that way, so long as Howard keeps his wits about him and Ozzie turns into the playoff machine we've all known him to be (if need be).

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#46 Off the Post

Off the Post

Rookie

• Pip
  • 136 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 04:46 PM

Like other players who have a good year there rookie year i want to see him do well next year to judge weather or not he can handle it.

#47 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

i just hope he stays consistent through playoffs(if we make it) and continues how hes been playing next year and not another steve mason

#48 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,226 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:34 PM

How is this a shot at Ozzie in any form? I read it as this goalie tandem we have is the best it's been since Babcock got here. I don't see where people are getting shots at Ozzie from?

That's the way I see it too. I read all three pages to find out if anybody else thought the same.

I thought Babcock was talking about the position.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#49 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:56 PM

:scared: for the love of god lets keep Ozzy out of this...its Jimmy's thread :scared:
(we all know Oz is doing his part)
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#50 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

After living through the Hasek/Cujo, Hasek/Osgood debates, I certainly hope this doesn't evolve into a goalie flame war. Having said that, I think I agree with Babcock. In 08, Hasek and Osgood were awesome, no doubt, but what Howard has done this year is amazing. I've always thought that a goalie's save percentage was the most telling stat of how good they are. Howard's save percentage is incredible and most of the year he played with a team that was severely depleted by injuries.

Plus, I wonder if Babcock isn't doing some psycological work to try to make Howard feel even more confident before the playoffs start.

Exactly. It shows how efficient a goaltender is.

All I can say is Howard may very well have saved Babcock's job. I don't know how in jeopardy it was but I do know that even I used him as a scapegoat this year at times. Jimmy has been our one consistent thing all year and he deserves every bit of praise he is getting. Our team gave Hasek and Ozzie the chance to play as well as they did in the playoffs. This year Jimmy is giving our team a chance to play well in the playoffs by getting us there in the first place.
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#51 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

Can't Howard be complimented without any other player/goaltender being involved?

Honestly. Enjoy the ride Howard is giving us so far, because we don't know when it's going to end.

And Howard does give up rebounds. Don't ignore it, no matter how well he has been playing.

Yep. No need to turn this into HOward vs. Osgood, or Osgood is getting his feelings hurt, etc.

While it definitely has been great, it'll be an endless debate on if the goaltending is the best it has ever been since Babcock has been here.

Despite how good it has been right now, like this year there will be big question marks about goaltending just like every other year Babcock has been here.

2005-06 - Can Legace handle being the starter for the first time ever in the playoffs full time (he did start a few games before being yanked for Joseph in 2004).

2006-07 - Can Hasek resemble somewhat the goalie he was in the past despite his age?

2007-08 - See above, and should Hasek be starting instead of Osgood who went to the all-star game?

2008-09 - Can Osgood regain his postseason form from last year's playoffs when he stepped in so admirably?

2009-10, assuming the Wings get in the playoffs - Can a rookie handle being the starter for the first time ever in the playoffs (as it is probably assumed now that Howard will start in the postseason)?

#52 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:37 PM

Yep. No need to turn this into HOward vs. Osgood, or Osgood is getting his feelings hurt, etc.

While it definitely has been great, it'll be an endless debate on if the goaltending is the best it has ever been since Babcock has been here.

Despite how good it has been right now, like this year there will be big question marks about goaltending just like every other year Babcock has been here.

2005-06 - Can Legace handle being the starter for the first time ever in the playoffs full time (he did start a few games before being yanked for Joseph in 2004).

2006-07 - Can Hasek resemble somewhat the goalie he was in the past despite his age?

2007-08 - See above, and should Hasek be starting instead of Osgood who went to the all-star game?

2008-09 - Can Osgood regain his postseason form from last year's playoffs when he stepped in so admirably?

2009-10, assuming the Wings get in the playoffs - Can a rookie handle being the starter for the first time ever in the playoffs (as it is probably assumed now that Howard will start in the postseason)?

Good post.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#53 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

Babcock is right. For the first time since Babs has been here there is no goalie "controversy" heading into the playoffs. Two months ago everyone knew Howie was starting in the playoffs and there hasn't been one single question or qualm about who would start. That's enough for me.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#54 hokike

hokike

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

I feel like this place over analyzes everything that gets published in the media. Babs most likely wanted to praise Howie for being a strong goalie and wasn't even thinking about Osgood or Hasek when he said that.

ppl are STARVING for information, opinions from lockerroom, thats why fans tend to overreact and try to find hidden messages from quotes filtered via media.

RULE NO 1.

It does not matter what coach says publicly- in many cases it is just PR or representative of the team has no desire to wash dirty laundry publicly.

What matter really is said in the lockerroom and that is it. For instance, for media coaches try to point something positive from disgusting losses but privately with players coaches lash out everything.

in short. r'lax.
Crosby’s frustration level seemed to reach a boiling point in the final seconds, leading to him cross-checking Zetterberg in the back in front of Detroit goaltender Jimmy Howard(notes).

“I knew it was him without turning around,” Zetterberg said.

#55 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:25 PM

Babcock is right. For the first time since Babs has been here there is no goalie "controversy" heading into the playoffs. Two months ago everyone knew Howie was starting in the playoffs and there hasn't been one single question or qualm about who would start. That's enough for me.

:thumbup:

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#56 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:50 PM

Howard's 3rd overall in GAA on a team that's in the bottom half of the league in goals scored. That's significant because it means that Jimmy's won a lot of close games. He's also had only 2 shutouts. Shut outs basically allow goalies to have an equal number of s*** games. Let's say you have four shut-outs. You want a GAA of 2.00. That means you can now afford to have 4 games where you let in 4 goals and the shut-outs will even it out. This is why a terrible peice of s*** goalie like Huet can get away with being raped 8-3 by teams. He gets blown out but his defense saves his ass more often than not by severely limiting shots while his offense scores enough goals to completely break the backs of his opponents. The result? A good GAA but mediocre Sv%. That's why it's usually so important to have an elite GAA and an elite Sv% if you want to be called an elite goalie.

Look at the list of shut-outs: http://www.nhl.com/i...rcentageLeaders

Notice how many goalies there have lots of shut-outs and mediocre GAA? Anderson and Rinne both have 7 shut outs but they've got GAA greater than 2.50. That means they've been blown out far more often than a guy like Jimmy Howard.

Anyone remember the link someone put up on here that had Howard listed as the most statistically consistent goalie in the NHL? That's one reason why. He's got a lame number of SO but a brilliant Sv% and GAA. If I had more info on how many 1 goal and 2 goal games he has I'd be able to break it down in a graph. If anyone knows where I can find that I can throw a quick spreadsheet together.

In conclusion I'd like to say this-- Jimmy Howard is the s***.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#57 REDWINGSFTW

REDWINGSFTW

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:04 PM

ive never felt comfortable with osgood in net ever, he seems like at anytime a goal will just go in on him, and i hate the type of goals he lets passed him. Jimmy is solid.

#58 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

ive never felt comfortable with osgood in net ever, he seems like at anytime a goal will just go in on him, and i hate the type of goals he lets passed him. Jimmy is solid.

True say for sure I feel the same way, the thing I love about Jimmy is, he lets in very few that rent deflections or bad breaks, but when he does let those in he always lifts himself to that next level!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#59 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:58 AM

NEVER?, I repeat my question, NEVER felt comfortable with Ozzie in net?

Since when has LGW start taking so many drugs?

I mean I knew there were a couple of other potheads on here, but never having felt comfortable with Ozzie in net, really? Not even when he was backstopping the team to back to back SCFs.

Sure his regular season the past 2-3 years has not been stellar, his post season has been, well Stellar. Before that he was a very good to great goalie.

To say you never felt comfortable with Ozzie in net means, to me, one of two things:

You became a fan after '06 or you are an Ozzie hater, this is like the people who claim Crosby sucks.

No, he is an Ass, but a great hockey player, and Ozzie may be struggling lately (at the end of his career I might add) he was a terrific netminder and will go down as one of the greatest to wear the winged wheel!

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#60 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,608 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

This season, I'm more confident in Howard than Osgood. In 2008, I was more comfortable with Osgood than Hasek.