• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Miss Wing Queen

Jimmy Howard among Calder Finalists

Rate this topic

I have heard by some weird rule he isn't a rookie but I could be wrong.

You're right; it's the criteria set out by the League to qualify for the Calder Trophy. From

nhl dot com :

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. The player must not be older than 26 years before September 15 of the season in which he is eligible.

His career in Providence of the AHL means he doesn't qualify for the Calder Trophy this season.

His career in Providence of the AHL means he doesn't qualify for the Calder Trophy this season.

What? Hasn't Howard played more than 25 games in the AHL too.

Is AHL considered major league? As Rask has played more than 25 games in FNL.

What? Hasn't Howard played more than 25 games in the AHL too.

Is AHL considered major league? As Rask has played more than 25 games in FNL.

Rask's FNL career would be outside of the "two preceding seasons" in the League's definition. So Rask would meet the criteria, but just isn't one of the three finalists?

Guest Crymson

I don't think Myers should win it. He was playing in front of one of the absolute best goaltenders in the league, and he was playing on a team that is fairly defense-oriented.

Howard played behind a team that was utterly depleted by injuries, and he saved our season. We are in the playoffs now because of Howard's play in the regular season (it's possible---though unlikely, in my opinion---that Osgood could have done the same, but whatever). That we made the playoffs despite the spectacular string of injuries we had is miraculous, and much of the credit is owed to him. What may stand against him is his age. However, Niemi is older than Howard---he just barely missed the age cutoff for Calder eligibility---and he's being called a fantastic rookie.

Anywho, Howie was one of the best goalies in the league on a team that at many times was missing a huge amount of starters. Miller did spectacularly, and he's certainly great, as is Vokoun; Brodeur had an excellent system to play behind, and Bryzgalov had a lot of help as well. Only Vokoun can compare to Howard in terms of how little help he had at times.

Well, whatever; I'm satisfied that he's one of the finalists, and I hope he's happy with it as well.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Lidstromboli
I don't think Myers should win it. He was playing in front of one of the absolute best goaltenders in the league, and he was playing on a team that is fairly defense-oriented.

being a great defenseman on a defense-oriented team somehow counts against myers? :blink:

if those points are valid, then i guess the "howard plays behind lidstrom" excuse is just as

I loved Jimmy's season, but a 19-year-old shutdown defenceman with 48 points, plus 13 and 23:44 of icetime a game doesn't come along every day.

As depleted as the Wings were, we still had Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and a lot of other talented players healthy for long stretches. Apart from Miller (during the regular season, at least), the Sabres have what on defence? Lydman? Montador? Rivet? That Finnish guy I can't think of right now? A great goaltender isn't the only key to a great defence.

Jimmy had a great rookie season but in terms of shear rareness of talent, Myers was better.

Put it this way: if Buffalo calls in the off-season and offers the Wings Myers for Howard straight up, wouldn't everyone say yes? Isn't that the true test of what the Calder winner should be?

Rask's FNL career would be outside of the "two preceding seasons" in the League's definition. So Rask would meet the criteria, but just isn't one of the three finalists?

Then what did you meant by saying: "His career in Providence of the AHL means he doesn't qualify for the Calder Trophy this season."?

I mean why would Rask's games in AHL matter anything? Why don't they matter with Howard then?

I know the playoffs aren't suppose to affect the voting, but I think the voting is always affected by it... I think it will all depend on this first round, if Buffalo can come back and win their series (not likely), I think Myers wins it, if not, regardless of other outcomes, Jimmy wins it...

in my opinion, he deserves it regardless, that's just what I think WILL happen...

The voting is already made.

The top 3 vote getters are always given before the playoffs end.

Great to see him nominated. I agree with the people saying it's probably going to Myers. I think Jimmy's age hurts him, even though it technically shouldn't.

Honestly I'm glad he was nominated to recognize what a great season he had, but I kind of don't want him to win it in some weird way. I want him to just go out and play next season and continue to mature without the hype and expectations of a Calder winner.

I guess I'm just superstitious and don't want to jinx him. :P