• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

There are 7 games in a series

Rate this topic

There are 7 games in a series, you are correct. We've also lost three in a row and have to pull off a Red Sox-style comeback ( <_< ) in order to win this series which is nearly impossible.

Face facts -- this team isn't nearly as good as we want ourselves to believe it is. They got this far after everyone and their brother thinking they'd never even make the playoffs, so for this alone they should be commended. But come on, even realism has its place in sports.

Edited by Electrophile

Guest mindfly

There are 7 games in a series, you are correct. We've also lost three in a row and have to pull off a Red Sox-style comeback ( <_< ) in order to win this series which is nearly impossible.

Face facts -- this team isn't nearly as good as we want ourselves to believe it is. They got this far after everyone and their brother thinking they'd never even make the playoffs, so for this alone they should be commended. But come on, even realism has its place in sports.

That bolded part - First time ever I agree with Electrophile..oh my...

Edited by mindfly

Guest Shoreline

Fond memories, eh? ;)

Fond memories, eh? ;)

LOL. The fact that such a term even exists burns my ass, but what can you do? They wanted it more. Six years removed I can be honest about that. I'd love to see the Wings pull it off, though.

Detroit haven't outplayed the sharks in any stretch of the imagination as ron wilson would have said, i wonder what games you were watching?

I thought that the Sharks and Wings both outplayed each other solidly at various times thus far in the series. There was a palpable ebb and flow to it, and both teams seemed to have run out of gas at various times, especially later in the game, and found themselves in deep trouble because of it. Discipline was definitely a factor in that, not so much that it gave San Jose better scoring chances (they didn't convert on the man advantage), but because it exhausted so much of that badly need fuel for the Wings in the final stretch. But even then, the game winning goal was on the heals of a VERY out of gas Sharks who got caught on a bad line change -- one that just happened to leave Joe Thornton, like a man headed out of the penalty box after a PP, in the right place at just the right time. But just seconds before that the Sharks were in deep, deep trouble. I was sucking wind at the sight of Detroit's massive rush deep into the Shark's zone, and even the hard shot that came back out could easily have stayed deep and gone the other way.

The thing that sticks constantly in my mind is the fact that there have been no shutouts or anything close to it thus far in this series. Both goalies have been solid in my opinion, but neither have been "legendary spectacular". As a result, all the games were moderately high scoring, with each decided by a single goal. Furthermore, EVERY single game had multiple major close-call-WHEW-dodged-a-bullet scoring chance shots by both sides that didn't go in the net. A few lucky bounces here and there, and ANY of these games could have been major blowouts -- by either team.

That just blows me away.

So, in other words, flip a coin. It could have gone the other way, all three games. If that had happened, Sharks fans would be micro-dissecting their team, raising up and crucifying their goats, with Wings fans barely noticing, and certainly not remembering, the mistakes made by their goats du jour, all the while feeling good about the superior depth, talent, whatever, over the Sharks. And had that happened, it still wouldn't change the fact that it all, hypothetically, could have gone just as easily the other way (which it did in this case).

All that to say, I don't see any kind of massive superiority on either side. Any arguments about that for or against either team would just be propping up an illusion in my mind, one that I just couldn't accept.

yeah dude. we might lose thursday; we might win. i fully support the idea of this thread: just keep cheering your team until they're bounced.

and then, keep cheering them. because they're the red wings, and we love them. and if you're going to hate on them just because they lose a couple of games, then jump off the bandwagon and go to hell.

love,

matt.

I didn't come on here after the game last night because I was SO down and I knew I had nothing to offer except doom and gloom.

But I totally agree with Stormboy. The Wings may lose tomorrow. They may win and dear god I hope they do. For their sakes, not mine. I hate to see them hurting like this. And if you don't think they are, then you do not know this team.

But to say they're losing because they have no heart literally turns my stomach. You who have said this about them are the true losers here. They may be beat up; some of them may be getting too old and/or tired; they may not have the right balance on the team like they did in earlier years; they may need more consistent goaltending. But to say they're not out there trying as best they know how at that moment in time is absolute, unadulterated bulls***. Even if it were even remotely true, who the hell are you so-called "fans" to say it like you know it's a fact? Talk about no heart... :nonono:

I will cheer this team till the last buzzer sounds and I will go right on cheering them on and hoping for the best in this team's future. They are my team and I will continue to wish them nothing but the best.

First let me say that considering the way the season began we should be greatful we got to watch the Wings play an exciting first round. Having said that, and hoping for a miracle (really want to see the Sharks downed again by the Wings) there are a couple of different ways to look at this to find a sliver of hope.

The Wings played terrible in game one, they looked tired and outmanned and never had the lead. In game 2 they played better, with the exception of the parade of penalties, they held the lead until the 3rd but allowed San Jose to come back and win. The first 2 periods of game 3 they played well enough that the Sharks didn't look like the team we played in the first 2 games, they came back again, but it took overtime for them to win. So, if the pattern continues, we win the next 4 games. It's like in each game we've solved another piece the of the San Jose puzzle.

The other thing to consider is that we, like the team, focus on one win at a time. If they win Thursday their odds improve slightly. The odds of coming back from a 3-1 defecit are better than a 3-0 defecit. If we build on that and take the next game, it becomes a 3-2 series and our odds improve a little more. We win 3 and take this series to a game 7 and the momentum is on our side and San Jose's confidence is greatly diminished after having the ability to close out the series on 3 occasions without success.

So, until the final buzzer of the Sharks 4th win I say... GO WINGS!

Seems like most people have forgotten, there are 7 games in a playoff series. It's first to 4 wins, not 3. Obviously the odds are VERY LOW, but it is STILL POSSIBLE. I think we have the skill to pull off a miracle. How about you guys?

LET'S GO WINGS

That's odd considering this series will probably only have 4. Must be some kind of malfunction....

It's over. Hopefully next game. They don't want to travel back to California.

I had the same thought - team won't be fired up to travel back to SJ so we might not see the burning desire to win game 4.

But if we win game 4, then why not win game 5 and play another one at home... Then.... who knows.

gotta win Game 4.

It's too bad, this could have been an epic series if the refs let them play. But it is what it is. I don't see the wings coming back because the Sharks are too big, fast and deep to lose 4 in a row. Blowing a 3 - 1 lead going into the 3rd by going into a shell and taking stupid penalties all series is not the recipe for success. Sure a lot of the calls have been one-sided, but for every bad call there has been a bonehead penalty to match. Also, when push comes to shove, our defense and Howard are just not good enough to go deep into the playoffs.

Amen !

Quite inspiring statement here... Of all the teams to be able to come back on in a 7 game series its this one. Bunch of overrated plugs.

Plus, dive #'s 10 and 11 for Seto Coochie.

Plant May in for one shift..make sure he doesn't return.

sharks have to be feeling pretty good right now, we win the the next 1 then win 1 in SJ and maybe they start to doubt themselves, play a little different, all this team needs is a solid 60 minutes and a bounce or 2 and it is an entire different series. It is a very low percentage but I still think we will pull it out.

Game 4 - Wings 5 sharks 2

Game 5 - Wings 4 Sharks 2

Game 6 - Wings 3 Sharks 2 (OT)

Game 7 - Wings 5 Sharks 1

and if they don't well it sucks but this team is still the redwings and I will still be a fan

there are 7 games in a playoff series.

LET'S GO WINGS

Except for this series,theres 4.........oh and i blame Bertuzzi.You know how many mistakes he made this series?..Hell i lost count.I hope Holland doesnt make the same mistake next season.

It's just plain stupid to even bother, it's IMPOSSIBLE so just forget about it.

Impossible is a word people use to make themselves feel good when they quit.

Thank You Mindfly :) Been waiting to have a reason to use that quote.

There's a lot of talk going on now about the history of comebacks in best of sevens with a 3-0 deficit. I didn't know until this series that it's happened twice, and only in the NHL. I have talked about how the Wings, unlike fans, are only looking at a single upcoming game, and not a whole series and a bunch of daunting, seemingly insurmountable statistics. Consider this quote from Lids:

"We're looking at it as what a great feeling it would be if we could be the team to do that again," Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom said Wednesday. "In doing that, you can only look at the next game and not the four games."

ABSOLUTELY TRUE. Of any team, regardless of their position or standings.

One thing I hadn't considered, however, which takes it a step further, came from an article I just read.

By way of preface, the last team to come back trailing 3-0 to win a series was the 1975 Islanders. What I didn't know:

Red Wings 67-year-old senior vice-president Jim Devellano was the assistant general manager with that Islanders team. He has relayed the comeback story to some of the current Red Wings who have inquired. His advice has been to approach it at one period at a time and not look at the daunting task of winning four in a row.

Not just one game. One period at a time! Very wise. I also bolded what I thought was coolest about that excerpt. That tells me the Wings team hasn't given up. Some are asking, still grasping at hope and looking for ways to make it all happen.

Obviously, I want the Sharks to win this series and finally vie for the Cup, but I also want to watch some magnificent hockey, and that won't happen with a deflated team, any more than it can happen with a team that is overconfident to the point of underestimating what is in front of them.

Edited by Grypho

There's a lot of talk going on now about the history of comebacks in best of sevens with a 3-0 deficit. I didn't know until this series that it's happened twice, and only in the NHL. I have talked about how the Wings, unlike fans, are only looking at a single upcoming game, and not a whole series and a bunch of daunting, seemingly insurmountable statistics. Consider this quote from Lids:

"We're looking at it as what a great feeling it would be if we could be the team to do that again," Red Wings captain Nicklas Lidstrom said Wednesday. "In doing that, you can only look at the next game and not the four games."

ABSOLUTELY TRUE. Of any team, regardless of their position or standings.

One thing I hadn't considered, however, which takes it a step further, came from an article I just read.

By way of preface, the last team to come back trailing 3-0 to win a series was the 1975 Islanders. What I didn't know:

Not just one game. One period at a time! Very wise. I also bolded what I thought was coolest about that excerpt. That tells me the Wings team hasn't given up. Some are asking, still grasping at hope and looking for ways to make it all happen.

Obviously, I want the Sharks to win this series and finally vie for the Cup, but I also want to watch some magnificent hockey, and that won't happen with a deflated team, any more than it can happen with a team that is overconfident to the point of underestimating what is in front of them.

Very cool post.

I hadn't realized Jimmy was with that team.

I love the "period by period" mindset. That has been our bane all season. If they play each period as though they were behind by three, they would get through this thing.

Unfortunately, it's hard to get 4 skaters, a goalie, and a guy in the box on the same page with this attitude.

On the difficulty of coming back from 3-0 in the NHL, love this quote from Babs:

The Toronto Maple Leafs, in the 1942 finals against Detroit, and the New York Islanders, in the 1975 quarterfinals against Pittsburgh, are the only teams in NHL history to win a series after trailing 0-3.

“That’s how hard it is to do,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “And yet, I figure every 33 years or so you’ve got to be due. It must be our turn.”

Source: Yahoo NHL

Sharks have one mulligan, and that's tomorrows game.

If they lose tomorrow, which is a distinct possibility, they still have a great handle on this series. They will be heading to San Jose with the crowd in full support and everyone still extremely happy about a 3-1 series lead.

But if they lose Game 5, it will be a huge mental test for this team. The news will start to shift away from just a hockey playoff story to one of national curiosity: "can the sharks, the "chokers" of the league, really blow this?"

That kind of thing will start to eat at them. They will start looking around at each other at practice. Evil thoughts will start to creep into the back of their heads. All this while they go to Detroit with a screaming hockey town crowd rooting on their boys who have nothing to lose except perhaps the thrill of one of the all time great comebacks.

This is my fear. This is why the next two games are so, SO important.

On the difficulty of coming back from 3-0 in the NHL, love this quote from Babs:

The Toronto Maple Leafs, in the 1942 finals against Detroit, and the New York Islanders, in the 1975 quarterfinals against Pittsburgh, are the only teams in NHL history to win a series after trailing 0-3.

“That’s how hard it is to do,” Red Wings coach Mike Babcock said. “And yet, I figure every 33 years or so you’ve got to be due. It must be our turn.”

Source: Yahoo NHL

I like that quote a lot. Very cool.

Yet it might only be a nice quote. We'll see.