• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul MacLean's Mustache

Who should we Keep? Release? Sign?

Rate this topic

1.1 for Maxim huh. Ask Hudler what type of number he posted last year gets him on the closed market.

Maxim signed a 1 year deal worth $800K with the Thrashers last season. That's why. Let me put it to you this way. You're Maxim, you play on the Wings third line with Helm and Cleary to start, not necessarily where you'll end. That depends on Max. You're going from the Thrashers, a one-time playoff team in its history to the Wings, a team that has made the playoffs 19 consecutive seasons. You bring your offense to this team and you have a great shot at contending for the Cup--something you have never won. Now let me ask you Maxim, would you rather come here and play on our third line with a great chance to contend for the Cup or go to a team like Colorado or stay with Atlanta and make a Million more a season. What means more to you, getting your name engraved on the Cup or making more money? Greed or Champion, what means more to you?

Why would Afinogenov sign for only $1 million?

Maxim signed a 1 year deal worth $800K with the Thrashers last season. That's why. Let me put it to you this way. You're Maxim, you play on the Wings third line with Helm and Cleary to start, not necessarily where you'll end. That depends on Max. You're going from the Thrashers, a one-time playoff team in its history to the Wings, a team that has made the playoffs 19 consecutive seasons. You bring your offense to this team and you have a great shot at contending for the Cup--something you have never won. Now let me ask you Maxim, would you rather come here and play on our third line with a great chance to contend for the Cup or go to a team like Colorado or stay with Atlanta and make a Million more a season. What means more to you, getting your name engraved on the Cup or making more money? Greed or Champion, what means more to you?

Afinogenov gets $3m plus, no less.

Asham gets $1.3m plus, no less.

Brookbank gets around $750k, give or take.

Ok roster, Brookbank would play less than 20 games and 0 in the playoffs though, and the enforcer role has proven itself pretty obsolete in the past few years. Seriously, of all the major cheap shots we've seen, all the big-name cheap players... when have they ever been "deterred" by a tough guy being on the other team's roster?

You need to have a Probert, Stevens, Clark, or someone like that who can play a lot of minutes effectively every night not a guy who sits the bench for 55 minutes. It's like giving a police officer SWAT armor and a knife, while the criminal has a .38. You might not be able to hurt him, but he can't really do anything to you either.

2009-2010 Salaries

Afinogenov: $800K---I increased it to $1.1M based on his production and hopeful willingness to accept less to come to an annual contender. At this point in his career, he has enough money. Basically, it just comes down to what means more to Max: Contending for the Cup next season with a team, hopefully the Wings, or being paid a million more and playing on a Top 2 line with a team such as the Thrashers.

Asham: $700K---I think he'll accept the same salary with just as good a chance to contend for the Cup with the Wings next season as he does with the Flyers this season. Of course, he can always stay with Philly, especially if they win it all this year.

Brookbank: $525K---I only increased it by $25K($550K), but for a sixth or possibly 7th D'man, I believe Sheldon will come to the Wings, again with a perennial Cup contending team. It will also take off a lot of pressure Kindl would feel otherwise. And I believe Brookbank is an upgrade to Lilja for one reason, physicality. Lils was physical until the concussion from Shea Weber. He's not the same guy he was for the Wings pre-concussion.

Yeah, cuz the flyers went no where in the playoffs with a bunch of enforcers. Oh, wait, they're still playing and our pansy butts are on the golf course.

The Flyers have guys like Mike Richards, Scott Hartnell, Arron Asham, Braydon Coburn, and Daniel Carcillo who have regular spots on a line instead of their spot in the lineup being the bench, occasionally getting to fill in on a line. They don't have enforcers; they have the kind of guys I was talking about.

Also, as was previously mentioned, Western Conference hockey is generally tougher than Eastern conference hockey.

This season, Miller was just as important, if not more, as Bertuzzi was. While Bertuzzi was scoring 18 goals with all the top 2 line and powerplay minutes he was getting, he was also a -7. Miller was scoring 10 goals mostly on the 4th line, he was also a +2 AND one of the most important penalty killers come crunch time.

Miller spent a significant amount of time on the Wings' second and third lines this year. Also, next year Abby will be taking a permanent spot on the PK, so Miller's PK abilities will be replaced (who knows how well). I don't think it is realistic to assume that Miller and Eaves will be back next year, and (price constant) Eaves would be a better choice IMO.

2009-2010 Salaries

Afinogenov: $800K---I increased it to $1.1M based on his production and hopeful willingness to accept less to come to an annual contender. At this point in his career, he has enough money. Basically, it just comes down to what means more to Max: Contending for the Cup next season with a team, hopefully the Wings, or being paid a million more and playing on a Top 2 line with a team such as the Thrashers.

Asham: $700K---I think he'll accept the same salary with just as good a chance to contend for the Cup with the Wings next season as he does with the Flyers this season. Of course, he can always stay with Philly, especially if they win it all this year.

Afinogenov will not sign for 1.1M or less, no matter what. His contract was signed based on this decreasing production for the Sabers (.5 ppg), but he seems to have picked his play up again. Even for 2M, Maxim is a bargain. Asham signed his Philly contract after a down year with the Devils. He is a rare player than can score 20+ points in a season and get in 10+ fights. Therefore, we will command more than 700k. Although I would like them both, they will need much more money than you have budgeted here.

Yeah, cuz the flyers went no where in the playoffs with a bunch of enforcers. Oh, wait, they're still playing and our pansy butts are on the golf course.

Yeah, I wish our top scorer could fight and score like the Flyers' top scorer. Alas, I guess there aren't many as tough as GAGNE around.

If Eaves and Bert both come back for close to the same amount, I'd like to see them back. One thing I can always count on Eaves for is NOT missing the net.

Miller has been good for us, but we just don't have the room honestly.

We can count on Eaves for his SHOT not missing the net

"We don't have room for Miller" is less than likely.

Seven forwards already signed for next year.

Pick the best six remaining from the current roster, ignoring Williams who is replaced by Hudler, and you have:

Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Eaves, Abdelkader, Helm, Miller.

The only question mark in all of this is Ritola. Out of options for Grand Rapids, so do the Wings risk losing him by sending him down anyway, or do they drop one of Miller or Eaves to solve it? An unlikely retirement of Tomas Holmstrom also would solve it, of course.

That's, of course, assuming the Wings go with 13 forwards. 14 forwards means spots for everybody.

Which depends on their defense corps. They have five defensemen signed currently, and are waiting on a contract for Nick Lidstrom's likely return. This leaves one or two more spots to fill. Andreas Lilja may or may not be back. He may retire due to injury, he may leave for another team for a larger deal, or he may be cut loose simply because the Wings simply decide they need his roster spot to develop players like Jonathan Ericsson and Jakub Kindl. Derek Meech is another mystery. He's an RFA who has improved offensively and defensively, has quite a bit of speed, and has shown the ability to play as a capable two-way bottom six forward.

So the only situation which results in the absolute "We don't have room for Miller" is Meech staying, as well as Lilja or a comparable replacement being signed for an 8-defenseman lineup. The Wings have historically been more likely to go with 14 forwards than 8 defensemen, so don't be stunned at all to see Miller back.

Bertuzzi over Miller? :lol:

HUDLER ON THE TOP LINE?!?!?! :hysterical:

listen all you hudler slappies out there, he wasn't good enough to make his own Olympic team, he is not gonna help this team over the hump and he will not play above the third line........ You guys are really delusional!

:hysterical::hysterical: LOL y wuld u put a 57pt skorer on da top line? :hysterical::hysterical:

Durrrr he won't be playing much international hockey given that the IIHF had a beef with him when he defected from the NHL. You're a fool if you thought he'd play international hockey within the first year of defecting from the NHL.

But hey-- if your mental defect lets you honestly believe a 23g 57pt NHLer (and ppg KHLer who set a new club record for assists) can't make the Czech national team because he lacks the talent you just keep it up champ. Continue to ignore reality and pretend you've been even close to correct all along. :lol: