• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Echolalia

UFA v RFA

Rate this topic

Quick question, and possibly a stupid one with an obvious answer: Whats the advantage of signing a player to a deal that will make him a UFA vs RFA?

Also stupid: How I spell UFA in the title.

If a guy is an RFA when his contract is up you will be reembersed with draft picks depending on how big his salary is. If its below 800,000 or something like that there is no compensation. The team that has the rights to the RFA also has the option to match another teams offer.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Quick question, and possibly a stupid one with an obvious answer: Whats the advantage of signing a player to a deal that will make him a UFA vs RFA?

Also stupid: How I spell UFA in the title.

It's an age issue... 27 or 7+ years in NHL allow a player to be termed unrestricted.

It's an age issue... 27 or 7+ years in NHL allow a player to be termed unrestricted.

So beyond 27 years or 7 years in the NHL, you can't sign him to a contract that will make him an RFA?

I'm just curious why we don't see more RFAs in the world today. It seems like the obvious way to go with GMs.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Yes... so really the best and only play would be to sign the player till the 26th/6th year (as long as keeping them is a priority).

I may be a retard here, but I don't think we are understanding his question - this judging by his response. A GM can't sign a player to 'become' a UFA or a RFA, the player earns the right to be a UFA over time. Even if a GM signs a rookie, who's entry level deal is up, to a one year contract, he can only do that so many times before that player is a UFA anyways (27 years old, or 7 years pro service). Its better for a GM to lock up these guys long term, so that their ability to become a UFA is delayed. A GM can sign a RFA to a one or two year deal if they are not sure what their value will be long term, or if they can't agree on a number long term. The best case scenario is to give RFA's short term deals until the year before they become a UFA, then hit them with a long term deal so they stay off the market - much like how Zetterberg's contract worked out.

Does that make any sense or is that not what your asking?

I may be a retard here, but I don't think we are understanding his question - this judging by his response. A GM can't sign a player to 'become' a UFA or a RFA, the player earns the right to be a UFA over time. Even if a GM signs a rookie, who's entry level deal is up, to a one year contract, he can only do that so many times before that player is a UFA anyways (27 years old, or 7 years pro service). Its better for a GM to lock up these guys long term, so that their ability to become a UFA is delayed. A GM can sign a RFA to a one or two year deal if they are not sure what their value will be long term, or if they can't agree on a number long term. The best case scenario is to give RFA's short term deals until the year before they become a UFA, then hit them with a long term deal so they stay off the market - much like how Zetterberg's contract worked out.

Does that make any sense or is that not what your asking?

Yes I started picking this out from Cali's post. I didn't realize that restricted/nonrestricted was a status that was determined by the player, not the contract. Thanks to you and him/her for the help

UFA - Unrestricted Free Agent - can sign anywhere with no stipulations

RFA - Restricted Free Agent - team that owned the players rights has a week to match any offer another team extends, if the teams opts to not match the offer, they are compensated with draft pick(s) depending on salary - the higher the tender sheet signed, the more they lose

Is the reason behind the draft pick compensation because of the fact the other team used a draft pick to get the RFA and also kind of raised them into the player they are? And does anyone else find it weird how draft picks can just be given like that?