#62 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 571 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:06 PM

No! please no!!!!!!!!

Yes! please yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Malts will play for us next year!
Could be his last year, and i think he gives us the mentality and will to win another cup!

#63 Octopus's Garden

Octopus's Garden

1st Line Sniper

• Gold Booster
  • 816 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

I don't even understand the thinking behind this, other than "Hey, he's been here forever."

He's slow, he doesn't fight, he doesn't score, he can't kill penalties, he doesn't play on the PP. I'd take Miller and Eaves over him, WITHOUT A DOUBT.

#64 Marty Barry

Marty Barry

Buzkashi Grandmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:22 PM

After the unreal amount of injuries last season I can kind of understand Kenny's thinking. A 4-time Champ who can draw penalties could be seen as a valuable call up especially during the playoffs. I mean, San Jose even signed The Turtle didn't they? If a 2 way can be had on the cheap I'm all for it. Don't know what the die hard Griffin fans think, but I would imagine they would love it.

#65 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:39 PM

Same thing they did with Mac. 1yr 500k, 2way contract. Plays in GR all year, joins the team for the playoffs but likely doesnt play. I wouldnt mind, if we did it for Mac we can do it for Malts.

#NOMOREKINDL

#66 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,575 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

Same thing they did with Mac. 1yr 500k, 2way contract. Plays in GR all year, joins the team for the playoffs but likely doesnt play. I wouldnt mind, if we did it for Mac we can do it for Malts.

The difference is, Maltby has more hockey left in him than McCarty did in 2008. But your scenario makes a lot of sense, although, if he signs at $500,000 and gets sent down, I have a feeling that some team will snag him up for his leadership and veteran experience. On the right team, he could play a big role in the depth category. Plus like it has been stated before, do we know if Maltby will even agree to play in GRR?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

#67 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:09 AM

well He did retire in NHL be a gm mode for me.
Posted Image

#68 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:41 AM

And after that he'll go work for Versus.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#69 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

Could be his last year, and i think he gives us the mentality and will to win another cup!

Malts has been a warrior for the Wings, so it's hard to imagine him playing somewhere else.

But honestly at this point what does he provide that makes it worth not signing either Miller or Eaves?

#70 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 12:56 PM

This is exactly why I wish the Wings would have given the GM Job to Steve Yzermand and not Holland. Kenny is a great GM but this team needs to start thinking youth first. I know we've always had veteran teams and they have worked well for us but with the NHL seemingly getting younger and younger we need to follow. Malts has been good for us but it's time to start thinking about growing younger teams. Let's get some of our younger players signed first and if there is cap space afterward and Kenny still wants to sign some older guys than fine but we really need to get younger.

#71 Red Storm

Red Storm

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 06:49 PM

I don't even understand the thinking behind this, other than "Hey, he's been here forever."

He's slow, he doesn't fight, he doesn't score, he can't kill penalties, he doesn't play on the PP. I'd take Miller and Eaves over him, WITHOUT A DOUBT.

Its pathetic isn't ?

#72 ben_usmc

ben_usmc

Kenny Powers Fan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 07:32 PM

if he spends the entire season in the minors and is used as a just in case measure during the playoffs I'd rather sign in at the trade deadline so the min. amount of salary is on the books. If he is honestly signing him for the entire season then I suppose Holland has said f*** the cup for another season now...
There's no I in team, but there's a U in c***, so don't be little jealous c***s

#73 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

If he can't kill penalties, then why was Miller-Maltby one of our main penalty duos along with Helm-Eaves?

While not strictly relevant, I personally feel that he has more to offer than Draper, so it is a shame that an overpaid Draper will stay, while a remotely useful Maltby will be most likely be forced to leave.

Edited by NGKEIB, 20 June 2010 - 03:16 PM.

"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#74 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

This is exactly why I wish the Wings would have given the GM Job to Steve Yzermand and not Holland. Kenny is a great GM but this team needs to start thinking youth first. I know we've always had veteran teams and they have worked well for us but with the NHL seemingly getting younger and younger we need to follow. Malts has been good for us but it's time to start thinking about growing younger teams. Let's get some of our younger players signed first and if there is cap space afterward and Kenny still wants to sign some older guys than fine but we really need to get younger.

Stupidest thing that I have read on LGW in a long time.
Do or do not. There is no try

#75 thedisappearer

thedisappearer

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

Stupidest thing that I have read on LGW in a long time.

Agreed.
*this space for rent*

#76 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

Posted Image

#77 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:24 PM

Yet he failed to display the mentality and will to crack the lineup last season.

Nothing against Maltby, but he just doesn't have the legs to crack the Wings lineup anymore.

#78 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 10:49 PM

I wouldn't mind having him mentoring the young guys in Grand Rapids next year.Isn't Mitchell Callahan gonna be a Griffin next year?He could use a veteran presence like Maltby to study from.Same with Landon Ferraro,I'm pretty sure he'll be in Grand Rapids next year as well.Maltby,like Downey,McCarty,and May in prior years,could prove beneficiary by spending some time with the Griffins.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#79 NBCnothingbutcrosby

NBCnothingbutcrosby

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:02 AM

Attached File  No-Darth_Vader.jpg   24.73KB   6 downloads
Not now chief, I'm in the zone.

#80 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:12 AM

I wouldn't mind having him mentoring the young guys in Grand Rapids next year.Isn't Mitchell Callahan gonna be a Griffin next year?He could use a veteran presence like Maltby to study from.Same with Landon Ferraro,I'm pretty sure he'll be in Grand Rapids next year as well.Maltby,like Downey,McCarty,and May in prior years,could prove beneficiary by spending some time with the Griffins.

Someone will have to confirm this, but I think that they are still too young.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."