• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

uk_redwing

Holland thinking of re-signing Kirk Maltby

Rate this topic

I wouldn't mind seeing maltby on a 2 way to go down to GR and teach some of the young guys and fill in if there is injuries, but I do not want him back to take a roster spot at the expense of a young guy like ritola or eaves.

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to what exactly a 1 way or 2 way contract means on this board... I blame the NHL series by EA for the way it mis-represents it -

If he cleared waivers... there's no way he'd take a 2 year deal at this stage in his career and due to his age, there'd be no point to even offer his one - 1 way and 2 way deals have nothing to do with waiver eligibility, they have to do with how much the player is ACTUALLY paid, depending on where they play, the caphit still is affected by days with the big club...

There's surely no chance that Malts will uproot his family now, and I wonder if he really wants to go wherever by himself in case he does sign elsewhere. But if he wants to keep playing hockey in Michigan the only way it could happen is in Grand Rapids. Kenny would almost certainly oblige him if that were his wish; not a bad guy to have on the depth chart in case of injury disaster. There's absolutely no room for him on the big club, though.

I think he would if he wants to keep playing. He may have gotten an offer that he's considering, so if that's the case the Wings would have to make one more appealing for him. As much as I like him, not sure it's worth keeping him around.

Does he live in MI? I know Draper still lives in Toronto i think.

Yes he does.

Edited by WizardOfOz30

like a couple others have noted, we need to continue to educate our fellow fans and let them know that 2-way contact =/= waiver exemption. a 2-way contract just means you get a smaller salary in GR. the wings really aren't hurting for cash, so i doubt the saving would even be worth it. with the years played, i am pretty sure maltby would not have exemption from regular waivers or recall waivers. with that said, i doubt anyone would take him. but everyone shouldn't assume because they see the term '2-way deal' that he could easily be passed between DET and GR all season.

The more I think about the possibility of signing Eric Nystrom and re-upping Lilja, the more I love this roster and the more I do NOT want to see Maltby brought back - we're already tapped out on roster spots and pretty close to the cap under this scenario... so unless they sign him with the knowledge that they are going to waive him and send him to GR (which I can't see him being ok with, because then if any team claims them, he has to go play there, or retire, whereas, if he chooses to sign somewhere else, at least he'll be able to choose the team somewhat *cough* TB *cough*) - it makes absolutely NO sense...

Tell me this doesn't look like a damn solid and complete roster?

**NOTE - Lines are arbitrary for formatting purposes**

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.920m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Eric Nystrom ($0.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.640m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.550m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Andreas Lilja ($1.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Jimmy Howard ($0.717m) / Chris Osgood ($1.417m)

ROSTER: 23; CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $58.102m; CAP ROOM: $0.698m BONUSES: $0.000m

This would be a big mistake in my opinion. The idea was to get tougher on the 3rd and 4th lines and although I like Matlby and appreciate what he did for us he will not provide anything we need... Hate to say it but even Kopa-Kopecky would provide more for us then Maltby at this stage in his career. Common Kenny... think about this one seriously!

Guys... if it's a two-way deal there is really no harm. If we are deep and don't need him, well then he will hang out in GR, if we have injuries or if some of our younger players lose their heads, well then we'll have a tried and true Red Wing available to call up.

Actually two way or one way doesn't really matter, he can be sent down on a one way contract, the only difference is he will be making the same money here or there. Two way means, he makes an AHL salary there and a NHL salary here. Either way, he probably wouldn't clear waivers, someone out there is looking for veteran experience and leadership, if Maltby has anything left, it's that. He knows how to win, he would bring a positive attitude to any dressing room and he is a leader on the ice. That being said, I really hope he doesn't re-sign. What's next, give Draper a two year extension? Just cut your ties now, if you really appreciate what Maltby has done for this team, save him the embarrassment of being sent to the minors, let him become a UFA July 1st and let him go play somewhere he may actually get NHL minutes, as for here, he has done all he can do, and being a 13th of 15th forward is just not worth him coming back, for HIM or the team.

Actually two way or one way doesn't really matter, he can be sent down on a one way contract, the only difference is he will be making the same money here or there. Two way means, he makes an AHL salary there and a NHL salary here. Either way, he probably wouldn't clear waivers, someone out there is looking for veteran experience and leadership, if Maltby has anything left, it's that. He knows how to win, he would bring a positive attitude to any dressing room and he is a leader on the ice. That being said, I really hope he doesn't re-sign. What's next, give Draper a two year extension? Just cut your ties now, if you really appreciate what Maltby has done for this team, save him the embarrassment of being sent to the minors, let him become a UFA July 1st and let him go play somewhere he may actually get NHL minutes, as for here, he has done all he can do, and being a 13th of 15th forward is just not worth him coming back, for HIM or the team.

Why would he be embarrassed? If getting old is an embarrassment, then I guess I'm screwed. :ph34r:

I say let him play in GR if he wants to. I can think of worse things than having him as a black ace in the playoffs.

I think more than anything it's poor word choice by Khan in saying "contemplating" because that can imply a likelihood that it's going to happen.

The actual quote from holland just doesn't say anything that outrageous:

“One guy we have to make a decision on is Kirk Maltby,” Holland said. “I like Maltby. He’s been a warrior. I think he’s got some hockey left in him.”

Maltby is a warrior and does have some hockey left in him. Just probably not in Detroit.

Agreed. Maltby's time is over, but if it's a 2 way deal he gets to stay with the organization, the organization gets to stay loyal to a warrior for the franchise, and we can still use him if need be, which is unlikely.

All hinging, of course, on whether Maltby is willing to play in the AHL, which I'm not sure he is. I'm sure he appreciates the effort Holland is making, but he must see the writing on the wall. And he DOES have hockey left in him at the NHL level...but he can't crack the Wings lineup anymore. But on a team like Edmonton or the Islanders, no problem. If he wants to stay in the NHL he'll probably reject the Wings offer, which also works out for everyone.

Agreed. Maltby's time is over, but if it's a 2 way deal he gets to stay with the organization, the organization gets to stay loyal to a warrior for the franchise, and we can still use him if need be, which is unlikely.

All hinging, of course, on whether Maltby is willing to play in the AHL, which I'm not sure he is. I'm sure he appreciates the effort Holland is making, but he must see the writing on the wall. And he DOES have hockey left in him at the NHL level...but he can't crack the Wings lineup anymore. But on a team like Edmonton or the Islanders, no problem. If he wants to stay in the NHL he'll probably reject the Wings offer, which also works out for everyone.

has nobody read the multiple posts in this thread about how 2-way deals work?

has nobody read the multiple posts in this thread about how 2-way deals work?

When does anyone really read more than the last couple anyway?

I can't source it, but I heard a mention that Maltby would not rule out Grand Rapids, if it came to that.

Why would he be embarrassed? If getting old is an embarrassment, then I guess I'm screwed. :ph34r:

I say let him play in GR if he wants to. I can think of worse things than having him as a black ace in the playoffs.

QFT!