• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Aussie_Wing

1st Round Pick (21), Riley Sheahan

Rate this topic

I wasn't so crash hot on the pick when I first heard it. That is often the case on draft day as you've got your hopes set on picking someone else for whatever reason. At the end of the day the vast majority of these kids are at least 2-3 years, maybe even longer, away from ever hitting the NHL or making any meaningful contribution. You've just got to back your talent scouts to see something in the player they selected.

This is what Ken Holland had to say about Sheahan:

"He's big, hes strong, he's physical, when the points start to come we think he's going to be a hell of a player".

The thing is, everything about his game is pretty much sound. He's a great skater, he's tremendous defensively, he can play PP and PK, he's got good size, so taking all this into consideration you'd imagine at the very least he'd develop into a 3rd/4th liner. However he does have offensive potential, it just didn't quite surface last season but he showed it in juniors and he has fine playmaking skills and can finish. As Holland said, should the offence come around he'll develop into a beauty. :thumbup:

Edited by Aussie_Wing

As Holland said, should the offence come around he'll develop into a beauty. :thumbup:

Yeah, as others have said, it's a crapshoot on anyone, but their impression of him seems to be that he has a solid foundation; so now, we'll just have to see how he develops. I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt. It seems to say something that they picked instead of trading down, no?

Jim Nill:

I don’t like to make comparisons with young players. It’s not really fair to them. But he does remind me of Johan Franzen. He’s got a big, thick body. He’s been a big scorer. That’s what we project him to be.

Guest Heaten

From what I've read about him is he has the potential to develop into a Joe Pavelski type guy. He was also compared to having all the tools as Jonathan Toews. He's big (6'2-1/2) @ 200ibs of muscle (and will grow bigger). He has a real smooth skating style. He's strong and can play the grinding game behind the net like Toews and drive to the net... and he has a lot of hockey smarts and extremely defensive sound.

What Holland is saying is once he finds his scoring touch, the flood gates will open like they did for Franzen- and Pavelski -type guys.

And, at the very least, the kid will become a solid 3rd linerer *if* he doesn't find his scoring touch. All 2010 draft players past the top 10 - 15 (even under top 15) are going to be a *risk* one way or another.

Ducks had the best looking 2010 draft so far....

But at least Detroit picked a guy who has the tools to become a Pavelski/Toews/Stall to a minimum of a Danial Cleary-type-guy. I'm happy with this pick right now. Ask me again in 3-4 years. Anything can happen.

Edited by Heaten

On the midseason rankings he was 5th overall. What could've changed in a few months? He didn't score many goals on the Fighting Irish. Ok, but they play about as defensive a system as there is. And he was one of the youngest players in the entire NCAA. Plus he still tied for his team's rookie lead in scoring with a kid who's 1 year older.

Holland and Nill wanted another scoring prospect and this kid has all the tools plus he was a guy who fell from 5th earlier in the year-- the talent is there.

Here's a good article on Riley. (Oh, and he's a big, strong Irish Catholic Canadian with the name Sheahan... who does that remind you guys of?)

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/11772/2010_prospects_riley_sheahan/

Guest Crymson

Probably a solid pick, just not a sexy pick. Realistically, there's no imagining that this kid will suddenly burgeon into a 70pt+ producer at the NHL level, but chances are he'll become a useful pro and the selection will be warranted.

There was also no conception until March of '08 that Franzen could blossom into a 40-goal scorer at the NHL level.

And here's a scouting report from another site:

Sheahan had a somewhat underwhelming season; better numbers were expected of him in Notre Dame, even as a freshman (the arrest for alcohol consumption didn’t help, albeit a minor, non-hockey thing). Sheahan is a very skilled playmaker who makes great decisions with the puck. He has the kind of awareness and hockey sense that is hard to teach as he can sense the game developing around him and it’s what helps him make the ideal and difficult play to push the puck up the ice and distribute it accordingly. He plays the PK effectively and can carry the puck on the powerplay. The main issue with Sheahan is his skating, while his first step or two is good his skating as a whole needs some improvement, it’s caused issues for him while trying to get back on defense and it’s what may ultimately hold him back at the next level. He can still reach a decent level of speed, but not enough to threaten defenses and put them on their heels. His physical game could be improved but he was a freshman in college so he gets a mulligan on it. He’s a boom or bust type prospect that will need a few years in college.

Probably a solid pick, just not a sexy pick. Realistically, there's no imagining that this kid will suddenly burgeon into a 70pt+ producer at the NHL level, but chances are he'll become a useful pro and the selection will be warranted.

He has the tools to do that if he develops like the Wings hope. He's apparently got an excellent hockey sense (and that's the #1 thing the Wings draft for) and he's built like a brick s***house.

He's also very young and has been playing against men for the last year. I'm not so worried about his offensive ceiling because he's got all the tools of a late blooming power forward (albeit with more of a puck distributing spin on things).

Guest Heaten

Poor Buffalo Sabres :lol:

June 26, Buffalo News: Though the Sabres were obviously happy with the selection of [23rd overall pick Mark]Pysyk, the disappointment was equally obvious when the Detroit Red Wings picked Riley Sheahan with the 21st pick. The big Notre Dame center, who was born in St. Catharines, Ont., seemed an ideal choice for the Sabres. Regier and the scouts at the Sabres' table shook their heads and frowned as Sheahan made his way toward the stage to put on his Red Wings jersey.

Following the Sheahan selection, Regier conducted a phone call. Upon its conclusion, he and scout Nik Fattey again shook their heads in a negative manner.

People here should be pumped... this kid was described by one scout as the most complete player in the draft (somewhere in the Hockey News, and they mentioned it on RWC too).

He's already hit 6'2 and 200lbs and was great at the combine:

Scouting Combine Performance (After Day 1): Sheahan came into the interview room wearing Brandon Gormley’s #27 over top of his #141 to try and have a little fun with the media. He mentioned having spoken with the OIlers and said he would be honoured to be part of the organization.

* 9th in Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output (watts/kg)

* 6th in Musculoskeletal: Standing Long Jump (in)

* 4th in Musculoskeletal: Bench Press (# of 150 lb reps)

* 4th in Musculoskeletal: Bench Press (lb/lb body weight)

* ·Tied for 10th in Musculoskeletal: Push-Ups (max #)

Aren't we always hearing how the Wings should get bigger and stronger? This kid is already in a grown man's body and didn't turn 18 until December 7th! He could end up 6'3 or better but even at 6'2 200lbs he's a beast.

Bob McKenzie: University of Notre Dame forward Riley Sheahan (pronounced Shay-en) had to explain himself at the NHL Scouting Combine for a minor off-ice episode involving underage drinking, but NHL scouts are more interested to find out what his offensive upside is, though that’s not easy to tell when you play in the defence-first system of the Fighting Irish. Sheahan was perceived as a big, skilled point producer in junior before college and scouts are trying to rationalize meager offensive numbers as a CCHA freshman.

I like this pick quite a bit and I think mostly because he fits right into Detroit's system -- meaning that he's a two-way guy who can score some goals and get to the front of the net. They're not breaking the mold here and they're not landing another Datsyuk, but they found a guy that could contribute to this team in the future.

It's hard to doubt the draft strategy of this front office, isn't it?

I like this pick quite a bit and I think mostly because he fits right into Detroit's system -- meaning that he's a two-way guy who can score some goals and get to the front of the net. They're not breaking the mold here and they're not landing another Datsyuk, but they found a guy that could contribute to this team in the future.

It's hard to doubt the draft strategy of this front office, isn't it?

To KrazyGangsta:

He's a college kid, big Effing deal, it's not like it's a testament to his character. That s*** happens much more than you think, to a lot of people. I have friends who were just like me and weren't crazy drinkers or anything but just so happened to get caught. Do you actually live in the 21st century?

Edited by SwedeLundin77

Here's what Nill had to say:

“He’s a big, strong, power forward type of player,’’ Red Wings assistant general manager Jim Nill said. “We took a big guy, finally. None of this, ‘He’s a little weak, but he’ll get stronger.’

“We’ll be patient, but he’s advanced physically, which is nice for a young player.’’

More Nill:

“I don’t like to make comparisons with young players. It’s not really fair to them,’’ Nill said. “But he does remind me of (Detroit power forward) Johan Franzen. He’s got a big, thick body. He’s been a big scorer. That’s what we project him to be.’’

does anyone know how many years he has left at Notre Dame ? Hopefully not to many 19 now say 2 more he will be 21 before he even get to GR then he will be there at least a year would be my guess. Does anyone have a clip of him getting called up by the Wings ?

Edited by king_malice

does anyone know how maybe years he has left at Notre Dame ? Hopefully not to many 19 now say 2 more he will be 21 before he even get to GR then he will be there at least a year would be my guess. Does anyone have a clip of him getting called up by the Wings ?

He doesn't turn 19 until December.

This is probably way premature, but it's just nice and fun to speculate sometimes. DO NOT take this seriously, critique all you want, but don't take this as a "I believe this is the way things actually will be" kind of post. More like, "maybe this could happen".

So, in 2 years, Lidstrom, Holmstrom, Bertuzzi, Osgood, and Draper will all more than likely be retired or moving on (probably only Bert). So I'm just speculating, again, but with the prospects we have, maybe this is something we could see at that time:

Hudler - Datsyuk - Franzen

Tatar - Zetterberg - Nestrasil

Cleary - Filppula - Ritola

Helm - Abdelkader - Eaves

Okay so that was a lot harder than I thought, I was sort of thinking about plugging Sheahan into the system in a couple years, which is unlikely, but I thought with his size and physical and mental maturity it could be possible. But for what the team needs, Tatar may be more ready, and Nestrasil is a RW with some good size who can score too.

I figured you'd plug Flip into the second line and Sheahan could center the 3rd line to start his NHL career... playing in on the powerplay and PK.

Oh and the Defense:

Smith - Rafalski

Kronwall - Stuart

Ericsson - Kindl

Kolosov/Pyett

Edited by SwedeLundin77

I think our future is pretty damn good looking at our prospects. You have to remember that our core is still 25-30 right now so we have another 5-10 years to develop and integrate new talent into that system and keep rolling over the core into new players. You lose Lidstrom, but if Smith projects what they say he can, he'll be a solid guy to step in and have a bright future. You also look at Defensive prospects like Lashoff (19), Almqvist (19), Nicastro (20), Fournier (18), Jensen (19), Rufenach (21), and Piche (22). THese are all guys capable of stepping in, in a couple years as long as they develop well, and let's face it, they're in a good program to do that. The Wings love to develop and take it slow with prospects which could end in good things to come.