• Please log in to reply
1349 replies to this topic

#421 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

When a guy like Gonchar comes off of the books the cap drops dramatically, much like the day Lids hangs them up that is 7 mil in cap space right there.

Gonchar had a cap hit of 5 million, the pens then signed Martin for a cap hit of 5 million plus Michalek so that is a little weird when you would think they would be looking for a winger right now. Especially since I don't think Martin or Michalek provide anywhere near the offense that Gonchar did.
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#422 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

Shelley at $1.1M, we can expect Asham at $1.5M...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#423 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:56 PM

chicago still in cap hell according to tsn

4.093 to spend and minimum of 8 players to sign.
511,000 per player.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#424 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

Penguins have a little over 2 million in cap space left, the least amount of any team not named the Flyers.

Edited by stillwater, 01 July 2010 - 01:58 PM.

#425 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:57 PM

Prust > Winchester/Nystrom

Going to have to say fail on this one. Prust has zip hockey sense and has no place on the Wings. The other 2 have stick skill that fit here and the grit we are looking for.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#426 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

Gonchar had a cap hit of 5 million, the pens then signed Martin for a cap hit of 5 million plus Michalek so that is a little weird when you would think they would be looking for a winger right now. Especially since I don't think Martin or Michalek provide anywhere near the offense that Gonchar did.

Very true, their offense needs a winger badly, but not a Pens fan so I am meh on their day, still have two of the top 10 players in the game up front.

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#427 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:58 PM

511,000 per player.

and one of those being the goalie who will get a large raise from his previous salary of 800k.

lol at chicago

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#428 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

TSNBobMcKenzie:
Tony Lydman to Anaheim at $3M per year for three years. Done deal.

#429 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:59 PM

and one of those being the goalie who will get a large raise from his previous salary of 800k.

lol at chicago

As we knew.. it was just simple mathematics and more or less them stalling the inevitable by stating they didn't really need to move anyone else.

Silly Hawks, Cups are for Wings.:hehe:

#430 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:01 PM

When a guy like Gonchar comes off of the books the cap drops dramatically, much like the day Lids hangs them up that is 7 mil in cap space right there.

Capgeek says they have $2.25 million to sign three players, even using Ben Lovejoy's $525,000/year contract as the sixth defenceman. They only have room left to get wingers in the Max Talbot mold.

http://www.capgeek.c...rts.php?Team=26

#431 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Going to have to say fail on this one. Prust has zip hockey sense and has no place on the Wings. The other 2 have stick skill that fit here and the grit we are looking for.

Winchester has no skill as far as we are talking about, fighting, skating, scoring... very limited

Prust = Drake
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#432 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Losing Gonchar opened up some extra cap space and created a big hole on their back end.

You're right. Penguins have $2,258,333 cap left with 20 spots filled. So $752,778 $/spot. They did a good job.

511,000 per player.

I'm seeing $4,093,663 cap left with 13 spots filled. For $409,366 $/spot. I cannot fathom how screwed they really are....what am I missing?

Edited by syntax, 01 July 2010 - 02:02 PM.

The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#433 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

kenny must be golfing today

Yeah, that's gotta be it.

That, or he didn't feel like ridiculously overpaying for players that aren't that important. Boogaard for $1.625 per, Armstrong for $3....ridiculous. Kenny *shouldn't* have any part of this.
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#434 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:03 PM

Yeah, that's gotta be it.

That, or he didn't feel like ridiculously overpaying for players that aren't that important. Boogaard for $1.625 per, Armstrong for $3....ridiculous. Kenny *shouldn't* have any part of this.

:thumbup:

#435 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

Winchester has no skill as far as we are talking about, fighting, skating, scoring... very limited

Prust = Drake

Drake does not = Cup as everyone thinks on here.

Loved how he played but that is your opinion and you would for sure be the first I have ever heard compare him to Drake. More or less Asham or even Konopka would be much more useful than Prust.

#436 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,418 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

You're right. Penguins have $2,258,333 cap left with 20 spots filled. So $752,778 $/spot. They did a good job.

I'm seeing $4,093,663 cap left with 13 spots filled. For $409,366 $/spot. I cannot fathom how screwed they really are....what am I missing?

My numbers were based off of needing a 21 man roster, that is probably why my numbers are askew!

#437 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

kenny must be golfing today

Sure wish I was. Gorgeous day in the state of Michigan today.

#438 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:06 PM

Drake does not = Cup as everyone thinks on here.

Loved how he played but that is your opinion and you would for sure be the first I have ever heard compare him to Drake. More or less Asham or even Konopka would be much more useful than Prust.

Drake does not = Cup You are 100% right but guy named Holland is looking for Drake type of player...

#439 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

anybody else wann asee philly send an offer sheet to niemi?
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#440 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 02:07 PM

Poor Hawks.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman